Desktop pc (pentium 3, 600MHz, 128Mb Ram)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohan.k46

Right off the assembly line
I have to buy a new desktop(older one's config is too less for my present needs), hard disk of my old pc has crashed and i will be using the same monitor with the newer desktop, Below is the configs of parts for exchange (keyboard, mouse, floppy drive are small devices to mention in the config but included in the exchange):

Processor : Pentium 3, 600MHz
RAM : 128 Mb
Motherboard : KOB 810 DST Ver 1.1
CD Drive : Samsung 52X

Can someone tell me what's the minimum amount I can expect for this in exchange at "bangalore shops".

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I think you'll be lucky to find buyers above Rs.500.
I would recommend, you to keep the PC and load it with a light weight Linux distro and watch it come back to life.You can also use it as a Torrent Server, File Server,etc.
Also if its working totally and you don't wish to use it, consider donating it to NGOs like Pratham.

Exactly. The max you can get for this setup is Rs. 500 from exchange shops.

But CD Drive itself will fetch Rs. 200. Because there may be others with damaged CD Drives looking for spares.

I advice you to learn an easy to use linux distro like Ubuntu on your newer desktop and then install a power distro like archlinux in it.

Otherwise, I am intrested in buying it minus the CD Drive plus the monitor :D
Does it have a USB 1.1 port ?

k4ce

Youngling
i don think u shud take it to SP road cos u'll hardly get anything for it ... bout 400 to 700 max ... depends on how well u can bargain ... if i were u , i wud probably donate it to some1 who really needs it (thats wat i did wid my old one)

wat u can do instead is retain ur cabinet(provided its decent) ... just buy a new SMPS ... that way , u'll save atleast 700 ...

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
I feel like crying when I come to know that these kinda configs fetch ~500 rupees. Heck, I would buy it if I could.. Its still a PC and basic tasks would be fine on it.

- Word Processing, Spreadsheets, Presentations..
- Emails, Instant messenging
- Server, Download Box, Router, Gateway, etc
- Playing Music, DVDs (I hope it has an MPEG2 Decoder)

- Test System for various programs.
- Awesome for running and learning Linux (as Gautham said, Zenwalk runs great). I recommend this, as would anyone else.

- OR maybe you should donate it to someone. You know, technological penetration stats are so poor here.

If it was me, I'd go for a HardDisk and use it as a server that would run 24/7. Though yeah, I don't know how much life those capacitors have left in them. Maybe donating is the best thing.

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
I have a similar PC (Duron 1.2Ghz, 256MB RAM) running on Xubuntu and WinXP as a file server 24*7. Another one with an AthlonXP, 640MB RAM (on the lookout for cheap DDR1 RAM! Anyone??) and a 500GB HDD will be going online next week as my dedicated music server.
As others have mentioned, there's no better way to put these old machines to use.

aura

Sync dreams to reality
I have a better idea.... wait for some more years and then try to sell it to a museum or any store where they display obsolete products to the customers ....... I can bet you will get double the price...for this stuff.

I feel like crying when I come to know that these kinda configs fetch ~500 rupees. Heck, I would buy it if I could.. Its still a PC and basic tasks would be fine on it.

- Word Processing, Spreadsheets, Presentations..
- Emails, Instant messenging
- Server, Download Box, Router, Gateway, etc
- Playing Music, DVDs (I hope it has an MPEG2 Decoder)

- Test System for various programs.
- Awesome for running and learning Linux (as Gautham said, Zenwalk runs great). I recommend this, as would anyone else.

- OR maybe you should donate it to someone. You know, technological penetration stats are so poor here.

If it was me, I'd go for a HardDisk and use it as a server that would run 24/7. Though yeah, I don't know how much life those capacitors have left in them. Maybe donating is the best thing.

I have a similar PC (Duron 1.2Ghz, 256MB RAM) running on Xubuntu and WinXP as a file server 24*7. Another one with an AthlonXP, 640MB RAM (on the lookout for cheap DDR1 RAM! Anyone??) and a 500GB HDD will be going online next week as my dedicated music server.
As others have mentioned, there's no better way to put these old machines to use.

couldn't agree more. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom