desktop.ini virus/worm affected mypc

gandhisanju

Right off the assembly line
desktop.ini is virus or worm?
my pc is affected with it
windows7,I3 530,2gb ddr3,dvd rw,500gb,asus
whenever i insert cd/dvd in drive in my computer message appear below content of that disk "files ready to be write on disk"below that "desktop.ini"file name written.
same file i found on my old pc pIII 450mhz,128mb,160gb machine.I used pen drive to transfer data from old to new one.antivirus cannot detect it.i think it does not show hidden files n u cannot change settings in folder options
anybody can help me?

sujeet2555

In the zone
i don't think ,it is a virus.i have seen it many times ,even in new installed oS.i use different types of scanners ,but no one reports about it.

ajai5777

Youngling
go to malwarebytes and download malwarebytes antimalware. Its a 5mb application install it and do a scan.It can wipe all viruses from your system.

vaibhav99

Broken In
Sanju,
if you see desktop.ini & folder.htt some other 2 files in all ur folder in explorer..It's Worm
VBS.Terrosist | Symantec
i faced the similar problem 3-4 yrs back, got removal tool from trendmicro at that time but i think any good spyware can remove this now as its risk is low (but i know very annoying)..normally it doesn't affects OS after win 2K . how come ur Win 7 & got inffected
Hope this helps

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Scan with trial version of ESET Nod32, should be able to remove. Use CCleaner to delete any unwanted startup item.
delete the file manually from the CD/DVD drive, it won't show waiting to be written after that

anzum

Hi,
Desktop.ini is not an infected file but a system hidden file which is located in each and every folder.

You may set the folder view option to NOT display hidden operating system files.

The problem related to the message which says files waiting to be written means you have selected a file and right clicked over it and then sendto> disc. It send the file to a location on your computer. It will keep reminding you. Better open CD drive (without inserting any cd/dvd) and you will se the files there. Delete them off...

OP
G

gandhisanju

thanks for reply
ok it does not affect windows 7 but when I enter cd/dvd in dvd writer in explorer there is a message always seen "files to be ready for writing on disc" under that message Desktop.ini file is always there" that means imy system is not 100% clean from Desktop.ini. How to handle this?

Sanju,
if you see desktop.ini & folder.htt some other 2 files in all ur folder in explorer..It's Worm
VBS.Terrosist | Symantec
i faced the similar problem 3-4 yrs back, got removal tool from trendmicro at that time but i think any good spyware can remove this now as its risk is low (but i know very annoying)..normally it doesn't affects OS after win 2K . how come ur Win 7 & got inffected
Hope this helps

vaibhav99

Broken In
Sanju,
yes looks like u win 7 is infected
Have u tried scanning thru online scanner .. as suggested by coolbuddy and celldweller
as i could not locate any removal tool on any of the site
TrendMicro
VBS_REDLOF.A - Description and solution
Symantech
VBS.Redlof.A Removal - Removing Help | Symantec
they also mention manual removal of the worm but i would recommend online scanner or good av with most updates defination
u can try few of this links (FYI...never tried myself ..)
Download Redlof Remover 1.0 Free - Redlof Remover is a free tool that removes the HTML.Redlof virus from your computer - Softpedia

All the best ..
Vaibhav
Ps. if i found the old removal tool i will definitely send it across

Neuron

Electronic.
ok it does not affect windows 7 but when I enter cd/dvd in dvd writer in explorer there is a message always seen "files to be ready for writing on disc" under that message Desktop.ini file is always there" that means imy system is not 100% clean from Desktop.ini. How to handle this?

Desktop.ini is not a virus.This file can be seen especially in folders containing picture or movie files.This file is used to store folder cutomisation info.Anyway, to make sure ,open one of these files and post its contents.

Last edited:
Top Bottom