Desktop for Trading Stocks

Flake

Linux User
I assembled a Desktop for my friend a few years back with your help. Old Thread
He is planning to upgrade now.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)
Ans: Desktop will be used for Stock trading. Basically, a few Trading Softwares, Youtube Live and a lot of Chrome/Opera Tabs running most of the time. It should handle at least two 32 inch 4k Monitors. I don't think that this desktop will be used for Gaming but it will definitely be an added bonus.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Ans: upto 75,000/- ( As low as possible. Nothing fancy needed right now. Budget can be increased, if necessary )

3. Planning to overclock?

Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 11

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?

Ans: 512GB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: One 32 inch 4k Monitor (Not included in overall budget, suggestions welcome)

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Keyboard, Mouse

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: This week

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Online

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
He is using following configuration right now.
i3 8100
Asus Prime B360 Plus
Corsair vengeance 8gb DDR4 2666mhz
Corsair CX 450w
WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm
Logitech KB & Mouse combo
Dell E2016HV - 3 nos
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB
Its working fine, no problems as of now. He is planning to donate current system to local school after assembling new one. Thanks a lot.

Honestly this should suffice + 32k for a 4K 32" IPS/VA monitor (check amazon)

Before donating, take out its HDD & put a basic 240GB SSD for OS in old rig.

*pcpricetracker.in/b/s/397a7e09-caad-4a05-ac77-775e2b9b630a
1673757614806.png

OP
Flake

Flake

Linux User
Thanks a lot. Is it going to work fine for next 5 years? Softwares are getting more and more demanding over the years.
As I mentioned earlier, his current setup is working fine but showing signs of age and he is planning to use only two big displays instead of 4 small ones. He is not computer savvy and like last time, I'm going to assemble this time too.

I can go for above configuration eyes closed. But if configuration around i5-12500 is more value for money, please do suggest that too. His budget is excluding monitor price.
We are planning to order everything within 3-4 days.

Thanks a lot. Is it going to work fine for next 5 years? Softwares are getting more and more demanding over the years.
As I mentioned earlier, his current setup is working fine but showing signs of age and he is planning to use only two big displays instead of 4 small ones. He is not computer savvy and like last time, I'm going to assemble this time too.

I can go for above configuration eyes closed. But if configuration around i5-12500 is more value for money, please do suggest that too. His budget is excluding monitor price.
We are planning to order everything within 3-4 days.
Actually, he can get a some performance boost in current system by upgrading RAM to 16GB. Multiple browser tabs will easily eat RAM, might cause stutters.

For new system, 500GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD (from old system) should be enough for storage.

For w/o monitor budget, just change CPU to i5 12400 (17k) or 12500 (if price difference is under 1k). 32GB RAM is more than enough for few years for keeping multiple browser tabs/apps open across multiple screens.

For something even better and if you can wait a few weeks to a month, can consider i5 13400 for 22k + MSI B660M A Pro for 13-15k. This mobo has 4 display output ports in mobo, so might be handy to add more displays in future, if required. 4 is the max that iGPU supports I think, heck even dGPUs have just 4 display outputs. So for urgent purchase, pick this mobo instead, DDR4 version, with or without WiFi is your call.

OP
Flake

Flake

Linux User
Thanks again !
We have checked latest prices of processor and motherboard. i5-13500 is retailing at 24,450/-, i5-13400 at 23,199/- and MSI B660M A Pro is at 13,481/-. As suggested, we will wait for a month.
Could you please suggest a Cabinet too? Non-RGB, fine aesthetics and proper cooling. Thanks a ton !

Deepcool Mattrexx 40 3FS is good, relatively compact cabinet with 3 pre-installed fans. Don't connect RGB header or turn lights off using the software. Silverstone FARA R1 has just 1 rear exhaust fan, so you will likely need to buy 2x 120mm intake fans for adequate cooling on stock cooler.

Get Deepcool AG400 for a cheap & good CPU cooler, if needed. But for normal tasks, stock cooler is ok. Definitely runs hot & throttles at full load.

See what else catches you eye in the market & post it here.

OP
Flake

Flake

Linux User
I have waited for a few days now but prices are almost same. I'm planning to order following parts in a day or two.

1. Intel i5-13500 : 24,399/-
2. MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4 Intel Motherboard : 14,805/-
3. DeepCool AG400 : 2400/-
4. DEEPCOOL MATREXX 40 3FS Mini-ITX/Micro-ATX : 3800/-

Could you please suggest appropriate PowerSupply, 16x2 RAM kit and 32 inch IPS Panel Monitor?

Thanks a lot !

I have waited for a few days now but prices are almost same. I'm planning to order following parts in a day or two.

1. Intel i5-13500 : 24,399/-
2. MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4 Intel Motherboard : 14,805/-
3. DeepCool AG400 : 2400/-
4. DEEPCOOL MATREXX 40 3FS Mini-ITX/Micro-ATX : 3800/-

Could you please suggest appropriate PowerSupply, 16x2 RAM kit and 32 inch IPS Panel Monitor?

Thanks a lot !

AG400 costs like 2k. AK400 is 2.5k, latter looks better IMO (I have AK400).

Deepcool PM650D (5k) should be decent if you want headroom for a GPU, else Corsair CV550 for cheaper is still fine.

Get 2x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz CL18 sticks, whichever is cheapest from brands like Crucial, Adata/XPG, Gskill, etc.

amazon.in/BenQ-31-5-80-01-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B07BBRLTRH
This should be fine, VA panel.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Just feels that it's way overkill for the intended use. Wouldn't a cheaper option like i3 or 5600G enough?
MSI B660M A Pro for 13-15k. This mobo has 4 display output ports in mobo
With latest Intel and AMD CPUs supporting upto 4 display, I was like where are the motherboards with 4 display out. I couln't find one, I guess it's a rare feature. Thanks to you, now I see one. Is there one for AMD as well?

Just feels that it's way overkill for the intended use. Wouldn't a cheaper option like i3 or 5600G enough?

With latest Intel and AMD CPUs supporting upto 4 display, I was like where are the motherboards with 4 display out. I couln't find one, I guess it's a rare feature. Thanks to you, now I see one. Is there one for AMD as well?
If you look into popular models, might find one. AMD embraced iGPUs only recently, so won't be surprised if they don't have one as well.

OP has the budget, hence they want to get the best for their budget I assume.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
One 32 inch 4k Monitor (Not included in overall budget, suggestions welcome)
At 4k resolution on 32 inch screen, you can't read the texts without scaling. For viewing images/video and even for gaming, higher resolution and smaller screen wouldn't be an issue. 22 - 24 inch 1080p monitor has a PPI of ~90 - 100, that's the range I would look. 32" 4k have a PPI of ~140, texts would be small at this level. You can't sit close either as you can't see the whole screen from a close distance. I have a 23" 1080p display, and I usually about 3 feet away from the monitor. If I set the resolution @ 2k (using VSR) - this is about equal to setting chrome zoom level to 75%, I find them small especially when I have to view that for long hours. For reading texts @ 4k, 43" would be a sweet spot.
If you look into popular models, might find one. AMD embraced iGPUs only recently, so won't be surprised if they don't have one as well.
Hardware info before had this filter where we can filter based on no. of display outs. Now it's not available. I found few for Intel's but they don't available in India and found none so far for AM5.

OP
Flake

Flake

Linux User
omega44-xt said:
AG400 costs like 2k. AK400 is 2.5k, latter looks better IMO (I have AK400).
AK400 is available at amazon.in for 2870/- and out of stock everywhere else. I will keep looking. I will order Deepcool PM650D and RAM kit along with Processor and Motherboard.
nac said:
At 4k resolution on 32 inch screen, you can't read the texts without scaling. For viewing images/video and even for gaming, higher resolution and smaller screen wouldn't be an issue. 22 - 24 inch 1080p monitor has a PPI of ~90 - 100, that's the range I would look. 32" 4k have a PPI of ~140, texts would be small at this level. You can't sit close either as you can't see the whole screen from a close distance. I have a 23" 1080p display, and I usually about 3 feet away from the monitor. If I set the resolution @ 2k (using VSR) - this is about equal to setting chrome zoom level to 75%, I find them small especially when I have to view that for long hours. For reading texts @ 4k, 43" would be a sweet spot.
Even I was thinking the same. Do you have any recommendation for 43" monitor? I checked amazon for 43" monitors and price varies from 39,000/- to 80,000/-.
His setup plan is one big monitor in center for charts and two small 23" monitors on sides for main trading softwares.

Thanks again both of you !

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Even I was thinking the same. Do you have any recommendation for 43" monitor? I checked amazon for 43" monitors and price varies from 39,000/- to 80,000/-.
His setup plan is one big monitor in center for charts and two small 23" monitors on sides for main trading softwares.
That's a lot of money for 4k. No, I don't know any good 4k monitors either and I don't see many choices as well online. He can go for 32" 2k, again about a handful of choices around 25k.

AK400 is available at amazon.in for 2870/- and out of stock everywhere else. I will keep looking. I will order Deepcool PM650D and RAM kit along with Processor and Motherboard.

Thanks again both of you !
You need to buy a TV if you want 43" 4K. TVs might have BGR subpixel layout, will lead to some text distortion, but Windows Cleartype should be able to compensate for that. Can buy the cheapest 4K TV from Redmi, Vu or Hisense, if you want, will be as low as 20k during sales.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
You need to buy a TV if you want 43" 4K. TVs might have BGR subpixel layout, will lead to some text distortion, but Windows Cleartype should be able to compensate for that. Can buy the cheapest 4K TV from Redmi, Vu or Hisense, if you want, will be as low as 20k during sales.
You talking about this ( www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling ) right? When I researched last time few years ago, the cheapest Redmi doesn't display clear text. Should search model by model in that list which supports that 4:4:4 thing and see if any comes in our budget.

bubusam13

Human
I didn't read the previous remarks. Multiple monitors are, in my opinion, more crucial for stock trading than configurations, especially if you are trading intraday. I find it easier to trade on the primary monitor when a chart is open on a different monitor than on a large monitor. What tool you use to trade?

OP
Flake

Flake

Linux User
That's a lot of money for 4k. No, I don't know any good 4k monitors either and I don't see many choices as well online. He can go for 32" 2k, again about a handful of choices around 25k.
He is searching 32" 2k monitor now. Shortlisted a few.
Tried TV once but couldn't work with it. Actually TV doesn't give right feel. Planning to buy 32" 2k Monitor now.
I didn't read the previous remarks. Multiple monitors are, in my opinion, more crucial for stock trading than configurations, especially if you are trading intraday. I find it easier to trade on the primary monitor when a chart is open on a different monitor than on a large monitor. What tool you use to trade?
He is doing opposite actually. A few charts on big screen and trading software/broker website on chrome tabs on two small monitors. He is using Tradingview/tv.dhan.co for Charts, ShareKhan's Tradetiger software and Dhan/Zerodha website for trading.

Samsung 32" 4k : Its for 30,000/- with referral discount on Samsung website.
*www.amazon.in/Samsung-Resolution-Intelligent-Border-Less-LS32A800NWXXL/dp/B09S6PB9TX

BenQ Ew3270U 4k : 28,990/-
*www.amazon.in/BenQ-31-5-80-01-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B07BBRLTRH

LG 32QN650 2k : 27,533/-
*www.amazon.in/LG-32QN650-B-Monitor-FreeSync-Adjustable/dp/B08J9PTTFQ

Lenovo : 22,999/-
amazon.in/Lenovo-D32q-20-Monitor-Response-FreeSync/dp/B083M6W4R4

Acer Nitro Ultrawide Xv340Ckp 34 Inch (86.36 Cm) Led IPS Qhd 3440 X 1440
*www.amazon.in/Acer-Ultrawide-XV340CKP-Monitor-FREESYNC/dp/B09KYGM9QR

First preference is Acer Nitro Ultrawide. Its available at lowest price right now. Which one do you think is good for the price? Any other 2k Monitor we can consider?

Last edited:
You talking about this ( www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling ) right? When I researched last time few years ago, the cheapest Redmi doesn't display clear text. Should search model by model in that list which supports that 4:4:4 thing and see if any comes in our budget.
Chroma subsampling is different from pixel arrangement that I was referring to. Most monitors have RGB & OSes are made with this in mind. Mnay TVs are BGR,LG OLED TVs are RWBG. Gigabyte M27Q ver 1 monitor had BGR sub-pixel layout, check its rtings.com review.

He is searching 32" 2k monitor now. Shortlisted a few.

Tried TV once but couldn't work with it. Actually TV doesn't give right feel. Planning to buy 32" 2k Monitor now.

He is doing opposite actually. A few charts on big screen and trading software/broker website on chrome tabs on two small monitors. He is using Tradingview/tv.dhan.co for Charts, ShareKhan's Tradetiger software and Dhan/Zerodha website for trading.

First preference is Acer Nitro Ultrawide. Its available at lowest price right now. Which one do you think is good for the price? Any other 2k Monitor we can consider?
I will personally prefer multi monitor over ultrawide any day, just my preference. Decide on resolution first, IMO 1440p is fine at 27" or 32". Still if you want a higher ppi, 4K is the way.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Chroma subsampling is different from pixel arrangement that I was referring to. Most monitors have RGB & OSes are made with this in mind. Mnay TVs are BGR,LG OLED TVs are RWBG. Gigabyte M27Q ver 1 monitor had BGR sub-pixel layout, check its rtings.com review.
I thought Chroma subsampling thing is the one we should look for in TV if want to use it as PC monitor (texts to be crisp and clear).
I will personally prefer multi monitor over ultrawide any day, just my preference. Decide on resolution first, IMO 1440p is fine at 27" or 32". Still if you want a higher ppi, 4K is the way.
He mentioned he is gonna use 2 x 23" monitor along with this new one - 32" 2k or 4k.

Acer - Though you get more pixels, you don't get as much screen size and end up with denser pixels. But not as dense as 32" 4k. It would be big enough to read.

LG - Priced almost close to the above 4k models.

Samsung and Benq - Don't see the point of having 4k 32", but since pricing is close to 32" 2k why not? If ever need to watch any 4k content, it's nice to have. The only bummer I see is they are VA panel.

Lenovo - As one of the buyer said, he got it for ~16k few years ago, now it's selling for 23k. That's a lot of price jump. I don't remember this model, but one Acer 31.5" 2k IPS was selling for ~17k. I am price sensitive, I tend to go for a cheaper one. This one falls in that category. Check if there is any good reviews for this model if you gonna go for this one. It may not have the features like height/pivot adjustment, usb hub and all. But this would be good enough for the job.

Top Bottom