Desktop config for a media center cum workstation

vns2k177

Right off the assembly line
It's very urgent! Configuration for a media center cum programmer's desktop

Hi, I want to assemble a new desktop - a media center cum programming (with application servers, db servers, studios, etc) one. After so much research online, I have decided to buy the following parts:

Item Brand Model
---- ----- -----
CPU Intel i5 - 3450 / 3.1 GHz
Mboard ASUS P8H77-M PRO
Monitor Samsung LS22B370H (2ms) (existing)
Hdisk Seagate 1TB (6GB/S) SATA
RAM corsair 4GB * 2
DVD Writer Samsung

Please note that - I may use upto 3 optical drives in the near future. The Samsung monitor is an existing one. I am living in Chennai, TamilNadu, India. My budget is 50k rupees

I am not an expert in these things and so have so many questions and doubts. Can any one please answer any or all :) of these questions? Any suggestion is welcome. If possible, pls give good alternative solutions also. My advance thanks!

Question 1: Is the above config a good one? Is there anything better? I am not into gaming. I want excellent video and audio and high data transfer (between pend drive to HDD or external HDD to internal HDD).

Question 2: Is intel DH77KC is a better mother board than the ASUS one mentioned above? The ASUS is mATX and the Intel is ATX. Is that the only difference? Which is more durable? Is there any better motherboard with H77 chipset?

Question 3: What kind of cabinet is good? Pls note that I will use upto 3 optical drives. Also, I would like to have 4 USB ports and a headphone socket in the front. Is it possible?

Question 4: Should I buy a separate SMPS or the one that comes with the cabinet is enough? If it is better to buy a separate smps, which brand and what wattage I have to go for? Is corsair cx430v2 (400 watts) is enough for this config? Can somebody tell me the max wattage of the above config?

Question 5: I want to buy an APC UPS. what model and what VA is the best? Some ppl say 600 VA is enough including my monitor but others say 700 VA is a safer bet if I want power for my monitor also (30 W is it's peak wattage).

My advance thanks again!

Last edited:
Top Bottom