DEP??... or Personalise DEP??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
well there is a option in winXP SP2 performance setings TAB Data exicution prevention....

there is 2 option.... DEP or personalise DEP....

*img335.imageshack.us/img335/6351/014ow.th.jpg

What exactly they do??

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Data Execution Prevention prevents programs from executing a code in the data portion of the memory: the most popular exploit in windows boxes. Nowadays, amd64 and recent intel processors support this in hardware too.

DEP, by default, prevents any program to abuse the windows progs and services to do this exploit. But some programs, like postcast server, need to register their own ocx which requires dep to defer. In this case, u have to select the second option and mark, in my case, regsrv32 and postcastserver.exe, as exceptions.

I guess I was too specific. Someone can generalize.

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
yes... but which of those 2 option to go with... as the section is in Performance TAB so this feture has some thing to do with my system's performance..??

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
I suppose u should go with the default for increase, if any, in perf, since the default one monitors only the system services and stuff. If u have A64, then you don't have anything to worry about perf since dep is done by the processor itself.

But, ofcourse, the best perf setting is to turn off dep, as discussed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom