Dell XPS17 (from U.S) or Assembled rig

techno_chrat

Broken In
Hi,
I have been planning to upgrade my pc for some time but with the current hardware pricing going up the ceiling I have been reluctant about it now an opportunity has struck and I can get a Dell xps17 at around 60k I.N.R. The specs are below:
Processor
3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM processor (6M Cache, up to 3.3 GHz)
Operating System
Windows® 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-Bit, English
Display
17.3" Full High Definition (1080p) LED Display with Anti-Glare
Memory
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
Hard Drive
1TB 5400RPM SATA HDD + 32GB mSATA SSD w/ Intel Smart Response
Video Card
Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 2GB
Optical Drive
8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
Case Color
Stealth Black Anodized Aluminum
Wireless
Intel® Centrino® Wireless 2230, 2x2 bgn + Bluetooth
Security Software
McAfee® SecurityCenter, 30-Day Trial
Primary Battery
48 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Battery
Webcam
English/Spanish/French Documentation
Warranty
90 days Premium Phone Support + 1 Year In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis
Weight
7.23 lbs

My point of query being should I go for the laptop with that kind of config at 60k because i would have to shell 25k alone on the processor if I plan to assemble. Also portability is not really a deal breaker because I'll be mainly using it for gamming(BF3, MW3, Far cry) and using CAD\CAM or CAE which can be done at home. What I am really looking for is value for money and performance. Hope I have given enough info and pls correct me if i go wrong anywhere and just ignore my newbieness. Cheers:mrgreen:

warfreak

Talk to the hand!!!
Assembled rig in 60K will own any laptop.

+1

@techno_chrat,
You are comparing a Laptop i7 with a desktop i7 CPU. There is a huge difference between the two.(Purely in terms of TDP and base frequency)

Desktop Processor and gpu is a lot faster because they do not face the constraints that their laptop counterparts face.(Power consumption,space,temperature,etcl)
Also, going for an assembled PC gives you the choice of choosing your own components according to your budget.
The only advantage a laptop has is mobility;but that too is limited considering that "actual" gaming laptops are heavier and bulkier.

Get an assembled rig with a combination of i5 3570 and AMD HD7850(7870 if budget allows) and you are set to game at full 1080p glory!
But if you want mobility, stick to the XPS, i'm sure the 650M wont disappoint either.

OP
T

techno_chrat

Broken In
@warfreak
Thanks a lot for the reply. From what i read on the net I thought the mobile i7 processor would be good enough for the job, though I have a clear mind now I'll be opting for an assembled rig. I have a budget of about 100k. I'll be preparing the component list soon. I'll surel post about it:)

Top Bottom