Dell worsening.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

gowtham

Journeyman
I dont what dell is going through, but they sure r worsening day by day...
For example, a 9-cell battery was available for rs 959 extra.
Today, the same batt requires rs.5500 extra!!!!!!!
What the hell is going on?>??

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
There has to be some mistake here!! If what you say is absolutely true, then it is not worsening, it is crazyness!!

I think maybe previously, it was for Rs 959 under some offer or it was a special prize, or what you saw today is something wrong. Check again.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Strange, you can get it touch on their toll free number and confirm. The price hike for 9-cell battery appears to be on their entire laptop range so that rules out some error. Could just be a case of temporary shortage of that part in India. Most of the common models sold are are assembled in India and it's possible that they are low on stock for 9-cell batteries.

Edit: Thread moved to this section. Good thing I got my Inspiron 1525 last week with the 9-cell battery. Lucky me!

Last edited:

gcbeldar

In the zone
There has to be some mistake here!! If what you say is absolutely true, then it is not worsening, it is crazyness!!

I think maybe previously, it was for Rs 959 under some offer or it was a special prize, or what you saw today is something wrong. Check again.
boss, if dell says 959 from 6 cell to 9 cell at the time of deal.

unni

In the zone
I also noticed it, but thought it was my mistake until I saw this thread. I have been checking their site for the past one month. Throughout that period, 9 cell was less than 1000 extra.

Why is 4GB RAM 9413 Rs. extra? I believe in market it is less than Rs. 4000!!!

Sourabh

Laptoping
So, there is a global laptop battery shortage due to a recent fire which broke out in LG Chem's battery manufacturing unit on March 3. This fits our timeline too so it can be safely assumed as the reason behind the immediate price hike by Dell India. Since Dell offers BTO systems, they should be most affected (in the Indian market).

HP and other brands release their laptops in the Indian market relatively late and sell it as-is, so the price hike won't be noticed much for them. Not anytime soon since their laptops have already been assembled.

Reuters report

unni

In the zone
Now, Dell site is not showing 9 cell batteries at all. Also, upgrading from 2 GB RAM to 4 GB was 9000+ 3-5 days ago. Now, its 4000+.

unni

In the zone
Battery Shortage Should Evaporate By Q3
A shortage of lithium-ion batteries currently hurting laptop computer shipments will likely ease in the third quarter, an executive said Friday.
A fire at South Korea's LG Chem in March has crimped global supplies of lithium-ion batteries. The timing couldn't be worse. Demand for notebook computers is soaring this year as people turn to mobile computing and eschew desktops. Some companies, such as Asustek Computer, have already said the shortage will crimp their laptop PC shipments this year.
"I think maybe the battery shortage may hurt every brand," said J.T. Wang, chairman of Acer, at the company's investor conference two weeks ago.
But the head of the world's largest independent notebook battery maker, Simplo Technology, said he expects the lithium-ion supply to return to normal in the third quarter and allow battery makers to substantially increase production.
"The LG Chem problem has had a big impact on supplies, but we're working with customers and they understand," said Sung Fu-hsang, chairman of Simplo, at the company's first quarter investors' conference on Friday.
LG Chem could not be reached for comment.
The timing for a rebound in battery shipments couldn't be better for the industry. The third quarter is when sales of laptop PCs pick up as kids go back to school, and is followed by the peak-holiday sales season.
For now though, the problems mean a struggle for some companies.
Asustek believes the battery shortage means lost sales of its popular Eee PC low cost laptop this year. The company will reach its 5 million unit shipment target, but it could have increased the target were it not for the battery troubles, said Jerry Shen, CEO of Asustek, at a news conference a few weeks ago.
Quanta Computer, the world's largest contract laptop PC manufacturer, predicts that smaller PC makers will be hurt worse by the battery supply problem because big companies are normally served first since they offer the most lucrative contracts.
Source: *www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/145479/battery_shortage_should_evaporate_by_q3.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom