Dell or HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
I m going hostel(Pune) after a month so getting a laptop for school/hostel. Need to decide between HP and Dell.. Need to select between these two:

*h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/in/en/ho/WF06b/1090709-1116637-1116665-1116665-1116665-13077516-80307124.html

or

*www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspnnb_1520?c=in&cs=inbsd1&l=en&s=bsd&~ck=mn

Is it right decision to go with Dx9 card laptop now?? Getting 7400gs with HP. Or shld I go with Dx10 card. Dell offering 8400M or 8600M gt. Which would be better. What abt the performance? Whats the diff in performance between 7400gs and 8600M gt. ANy idea?? And shld I order frm Dell site if going for Dell. As for the service, will they come to my hostel if anything gets damaged and needs to be repaired/replaced??

How long does it take for delivery?? Is it safe to give money first??

Last edited:

supernova

Mr. S Nova
"As for the service, will they come to my hostel if anything gets damaged and needs to be repaired/replaced??
How long does it take for delivery?? Is it safe to give money first??"

For support, ensure that you get on-site support. In this the engg will come to your hostel if something goes wrong. Dell generally provides this support for an additional cost.
However, AFAIK HP provides only carry-in support, i.e. you need to take the laptop to their service centre to get it repaired.

And it is safe to give money in advance to dell.... as many of my friends have bought it and have not faced any issues so far. Delivery generally takes around 15-20 takes... but could take longer depending on the location

prasad_den

Padawan
Chirag, my position is exactly the same as yours.. I'm also debating about which of the two to go for.. However, I've been advised by some friends to wait for another month or so, 'coz HP is expected to roll out more santa rosa laptopas with DX10 cards by then.. :D

OP
C

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
^^
Better models at same cost?? No no no. I was abt to order Dell tomo and u made me to re-think on my decision..

Last edited:

Sourabh

Laptoping
What is your budget?

There is no point waiting any more. Dell and HP's Santa Rosa platform based notebooks are already out in India. Their prices will not fall any time soon. Dell's range starts at 43k while HP's Santa Rosa notebook range begins at 57k currently.

If you would like to know other details, let me know.

prasad_den

Padawan
Is there any HP with santa rosa and DX10 card...?? My budget is 60K max.. I know I can get the Dell 1520 with most features in that budget, but I would prefer HP for a few reasons..
1. Build quality.. I've heard the quality of Dell is not very good
2. Dell's online purchase option is not very convenient with me..
3. The HP logo matches my initials.. :D :D :D ;)

Sourabh

Laptoping
Okay, here is something about Santa Rosa. It's a platform and not just a CPU. If the laptop is based on Santa Rosa, it will have GMA X3100 graphics which is DirectX 10 compliant. The nVidia option is for discrete graphics, which may not be required. Get it only if you want to game. Getting dedicated graphics will lower the battery life of the laptop. There are a lot of other considerations you've got to take, before deciding on the perfect laptop for your needs.

HP Pavilion dv2519TU is one such notebook available in India. It is priced at 57k. Google for more info. Then there are the Dells - Inspiron 1420, Inspiron 1520 and Inspiron 1720. 1420 is the cheapest in India and is the best form factor for a laptop! Configure it with 1440x900 LCD and 8400M GPU, you've go t yourself a kick-ass laptop at a decent price. True VFM.

prasad_den

Padawan
^^ Yeah.. I know about the santa rosa.. But as you have mentioned, I require a dedicated graphics card from the Nvidia stable, 'coz my lappie will be a desktop replacement and that definitely includes lots of gaming.. Older HP models also came with Nvidia Dx9 cards, so I'm hoping that there'll be a model with Nvidia 8400 or 8600..
Otherwise, Dell is on the top of my list.. the customised 1520 one.. :D

OP
C

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
Mine too budget 60k max.

Any idea how long does the 9 cell battery give backup?? M getting 8600M gt. So how long will it give backup? What abt the Dell coupons ? Any idea how to get them?? I got some but thats for us/uk customers and not for indian customers.

I need laptop by end of July so if any model of HP with dx10 card is coming by then I can wait. Any idea?

Last edited:

manoj_299

Out of Stock
I'm confused in buying Dell laptop model 6400 & 1420. 1420's festures and benefits are much more than if compared with 6400 but Just I have habit in working with 17" Monitor so just confused that 14.1" screen for Dell 1420. Will it be too small viewing? This 14.1 Inch push me back to buy 15.1" 6400 model. I am very confused. And also please tell me Difference between Normal monitor they Provide VS Truelife VS Ultrasharp with Trulife....please suggest

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Think this way... both cost almost same.

HP - 8/10 for Style, 7.5/10 for Performance and 8.5/10 for Features.
DELL - 6/10 for Style, 8.5/10 for Performance and 6/10 for Features.

HP, u get value-added xtras like media readers, webcams, offers( i availed more than one :D)
Dell, u get what u pay for.

HP, u can see it, then buy it on the spot if u like it.
Dell, u can only order it online, pay online, wait for the package & get disappointed by the look when it comes in reality (not talking of the M1710, that rocks)

If u ask me.. i like flaunt value & my HP dv9311TX lappie looks kool gave me everything. Of course, it costs slightly below a lakh, but it rocks. I also got a Docking Station (lappie stand + 4 usb ports + 2 altec lansing speakers + xtra hard disk space + wireless keyboard + wireless mouse + many more ports), a TV Tuner Card & a Reliance Wireless DataCard... free.

There are lower-end models too... Great range.. good price.. enuf performance.. really kool looks... lotsa flaunt value... need to ask more ?

Would like to add... If u r looking for a great performer with about 50k budget, don't think of anything else than the Dell 6400... if u get it, of course :D stocks almost nil.

OP
C

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
HP, u get value-added xtras like media readers, webcams, offers( i availed more than one )
Dell, u get what u pay for.

Umm well with Dell 1520 you get 2 mp cam + remote control + Display with TrueLife is free in this model. It also got 4 usb ports. 8 different colors to choose frm. Free earbuds. Also got media card reader. Now the best part - By default you get 8400 gs and an option to go for 8600gt. I jst ordered Dell 1520 for 55k.. Now I don't want anyone to say Dell is bad.:D

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
^^ yeah thats a good deal.. btw did u hav the price reduced under any offer or coupons??
Also wich color did u choose?? :D

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Good deal there... saw it ystrday itself.... new deal maan.. dell wants to pep up their sales desp... givin HP/Sony options to its customers :D

Dell isn't bad. It is really great, for performance though. Since it's buyin of AlienWare, it has even made itself a superb gaming machine too. Earlier it was good, not even better.

Good for u.... but i like HP's style. & the overall package. & ya.. i seem to have missed the dell ride... but mine came earlier :D

OP
C

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
@pathiks - I don't think there are any coupons for Indian customers. There are some available for UK/US customers which gives u almost 350$ off on purchase of 1400$ laptop.(15k off on 56k laptop:shock:)Lucky guys..

Oh yea I chose black color coz other colors after some time I won't like it.. But black toh forever and looks proffesional.

rishavrastogi

Right off the assembly line
Well, I am in a similar situation, though my desktop needed upgrade, but now I needed a laptop for my college (even more for CS(err..not counter strike, but Computer science)) I was, am and will be a gaming freak, and have already ordered for Dell 1520. I just feel they are the best configured laptops for performance, at the best prices. I ordered this configuration:
T7100 1.86Ghz, 2mb L2, 800Mhz FSB
2GB DDR2 667MHz
160GB SATA
256MB 8600m GT
Sound Blaster HD
3-year complete cover

Is this good enough for gaming at med resolutions for the next 2 years?
It costed me 70k. 79k including 3-year complete cover. The closest in HP in terms of configuration are priced 10k above this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom