Dell Inspiron with Linux or DOS

peech

Right off the assembly line
I was thinking of getting a Dell Inspiron 15R laptop. Specs are:
Intel® Core™ i3-350M Processor Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit (English)
3GB (1 X 1GB + 1 X 2GB) 2 DIMM DDR3 1333Mhz
320GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470 - 1GB (India)

Now I am a full time linux user, and do not want to spend money on Windows®7. Is it possible to buy a dell inspiron (or something with similar specs) with preinstalled linux or freedos? I am from the kolkata region if that matters.

Thanks.

tboss

Broken In
Yes. You can purchase Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop with DOS with the same configuration you provided above at around 35K in India.

arijit_2404

still find time for games
I was in same situation like you in June 2009. I went to every big dealers for Dell, Lenovo, HP and Acer.

Only Acer and Dell provided option to buy a laptop without OS. Dell machine was having FreeDOS, Acer had Linpus Linux. I had two choices at that time, Acer 4736 and Dell inspiron 15. Both were equal in configuration, in fact Acer dealer gave me USB mouse free of cost!

I opted for Acer 4736 because it was 5000/- cheaper. Linpus Linux was pathetic, so I promptly formatted the hard disk and opted for different distributions.

In last year, I have tried Fedora, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Sabayon, Debian, Arch Linux, Mint, even Slackware which I installed just yesterday. :D

Each hardware were properly detected under every Linux distro and I had zero trouble. Wifi was detected but couldn't test properly because I don't use Wifi internet.

So, I don't think you'll have any problems for above config with either Dell or Acer. My only concern is Ati card for which I think you should stick to major distributions.

But only choose between Acer and Dell, otherwise you won't get any no-OS option. :D

OP
P

peech

Right off the assembly line
@duh Thanks, I will. If I get hold of some email, I'll write to them.

@tboss Really helpful link. I could find two inspiron 1464 laptops, with about 1k difference in price but exact same config. Inspiron 1464 @ 35k Inspiron 1464 @ 36k
It seems kind of fishy. Does anyone know if the site is trustworthy for deliveries at kolkata?

@arijit Nice! I am using arch now.

Top Bottom