Dell Inspiron 17r se OR Samsung NP550P5C-S02IN

middy

Right off the assembly line
Nice Thread on Samsung NP550P5C-S02IN, read all the posts and had decided to buy a new one but when I read this

Inspiron 17r or NP550P5C..Confused which 1 to buy.need help - Graphics-Cards - Graphic-Displays

I was confused. I am quoting the statements posted by users on that site.

Hey guys i want to buy a new laptop but a bit confused betweeen these 2 laptops..

Here are the specs of these 2 laptops:

::::::::::Samsung NP550P5C-S02:::::::::

intel i7 3610QM-2.3 GHz with turbo boost upto 3.3 GHz

NVIDIA GT 650M-2 GB DDR3

:::::::::DELL INSPIRON 17R SPECIAL EDITION::::::::

intel i5 3210M-2.5 GHz With Turbo Boost upto 3.10 GHz

NVIDIA GT 650M-2 GB GDDR5

(i m not bothered about the rest of the specs)

I m confused because ,as gddr5 has twice bandwidth than the ddr3,so it will result in a better performance but having i5-3210m(which is half the performance of i7-3610qm) will result in a decrease in the performance ..So,from overall point of view, i suppose the performance of both the laptops will be balanced...Then again having i7-3610qm i can play those games releasing in the near future which will require quad cores instead of dual core...So i have set my mind of buying NP550P5C-S02IN but don't know whether my decision will be in my favour or not...Hence i want ur valuable opinions on this...So plss do help me ..I JUST WANT THE BEST PERFORMANCE FOR GAMING..So according to that give ur opinions..

i have also read the reviews on Notebook / Laptop Reviews and News - Notebookcheck.net and found some cons in samsung np550p5c like display quality is not so good though it has anti reflective screen, aslo it has some heating problem and u can also check the default clock speeds of nvidia gt 650m in both the laptops..
samsung-2gb ddr3-deafault core clock 410 MHz,memory=900 MHz,turbo core clock upto 950 MHz

dell-2gb ddr5-deafault core clock 745 MHz,memory=1000 MHZ,turbo core clock=835 MHz
Again on heavy loading both the laptops drops to their original core clock speeds..If that happens then the performance of samsung will drop to a very low level(410MHz) which is not in the case of dell(745 MHz)

Is the above information true?

I just want to know if the temperatures on playing games is well within limit, coz if there's no overheating, there's no drop in performance and samsung will be fine. But if not, I guess dell will perform better. What do you suggest guys, be future proof by buying an i7 or should I go ahead with dell inspiron and be sure to have no throttling problems(as base clock speed is higher(745 Mhz) so fps drop will be less as compared to samsung)?

P.S: One more thing, if S02 is discontinued(new rumours, not sure though :-? ) and S03 doesn't has a blue ray(as per flipkart), then which one should I choose (S03 vs Dell Inspiron 17r se)

Thanks in advance :-D

vijeshv

I am also having the same dilemma ,but at the moment hooked to 17r due to its larger screen and gddr5 instead of ddr in np550,
i5 is enough for a gaming laptop as i7 wont make much of a difference,
Is there any 7770m based laptops available,?
or is it better to go for a bit lower card but one with ssd ??
Kindly answer this to :) :p

OP
M

middy

I am also having the same dilemma ,but at the moment hooked to 17r due to its larger screen and gddr5 instead of ddr in np550,
i5 is enough for a gaming laptop as i7 wont make much of a difference,
Is there any 7770m based laptops available,?
or is it better to go for a bit lower card but one with ssd ??
Kindly answer this to :) :p

Yeah bro.. even I'm wondering when will the manufacturers will include 7770m, there are no reviews yet by notebookcheck.
Lets wait, I don't want to invest 60k and end up having a laptop which has problems, its better to wait 2-3 months instead. :-D

OP
M

middy

For 17R S.E... try this forum. ..... Dell 17r N7720 SE - user review

This is the i7 version and it costs 95k :-(

thanks for the link though.. :-D

BTW which one will you suggest among 17r turbo i5 version vs Samsung NP550P5C-S02?

Broken In
This is the i7 version and it costs 95k :-(

thanks for the link though.. :-D

BTW which one will you suggest among 17r turbo i5 version vs Samsung NP550P5C-S02?

I have the 17R S.E i5... So naturally I will suggest the 17R S.E. :p

anmol4all

Broken In
i just bought the S02 model and find that this is the best laptop till date available in indian market for gaming. performance wise both laptops are same but 17r is quite heavy and have a bigger screen with same resolution as S02in which means that it have a less ppi screen.
If you want to run some games at max settings you can run them at 1366x768 instead 900p on S02 and it will not look much pixelated (as most most of the 15.6 inch laps use 768 as native resolution) but if you will do the same on 17r it will look more pixelated than S02 because of its bigger screen.
and i7 processor makes the lap future proof. since if you are investing 60000 in a laptop then you will not want to change or replace it in a year or so.
and for throttling issue i just want to say that update your bios to a06 version and all of the throttling issues are gone atleast for me.

for reference crysis warhead is running on enthusiast setting without motion blur and msaa at 900p on S02 without any framerate drops.
and it also have bluray which we can say as a feature which is not much of use for me but it may be for others.

OP
M

middy

i just bought the S02 model and find that this is the best laptop till date available in indian market for gaming. performance wise both laptops are same but 17r is quite heavy and have a bigger screen with same resolution as S02in which means that it have a less ppi screen.
If you want to run some games at max settings you can run them at 1366x768 instead 900p on S02 and it will not look much pixelated (as most most of the 15.6 inch laps use 768 as native resolution) but if you will do the same on 17r it will look more pixelated than S02 because of its bigger screen.
and i7 processor makes the lap future proof. since if you are investing 60000 in a laptop then you will not want to change or replace it in a year or so.
and for throttling issue i just want to say that update your bios to a06 version and all of the throttling issues are gone atleast for me.

for reference crysis warhead is running on enthusiast setting without motion blur and msaa at 900p on S02 without any framerate drops.
and it also have bluray which we can say as a feature which is not much of use for me but it may be for others.

Thanks a lot bro, you cleared lot of my doubts. Just checked fk and it says that s02 is permanently discontinued. :(
So I guess I'll go ahead with S03, and as far as bluray is concerned, I don't feel that a bluray read only player will be useful for me, won't be spending 2k to buy a blueray disc just to make use of the feature. Might be useful for others, for them I would strongly recommend to go and grab S02 before stocks last because flipkart says that S02 is permanently discontinued.

anmol4all

Broken In
Thanks a lot bro, you cleared lot of my doubts. Just checked fk and it says that s02 is permanently discontinued. :(
So I guess I'll go ahead with S03, and as far as bluray is concerned, I don't feel that a bluray read only player will be useful for me, won't be spending 2k to buy a blueray disc just to make use of the feature. Might be useful for others, for them I would strongly recommend to go and grab S02 before stocks last because flipkart says that S02 is permanently discontinued.

just buy it, it is a top of the line product and i am sure you will become really happy when you will see crysis warhead at enthusiast setting at 900p and you will be like OMG it can run crysis at max settings!!!!!!!
don't forget to upgrade your BIOS to A06 as it removes throttling (i have'nt seen it yet even after some 2 hour gaming sessions)
i know it is discontinued on FK but you can ask some local samsung dealer to make it available. i got it from local dealer and got a laptop bag with it.
and for blu ray player i will only say that its not useful to me also but i may order some good old movies on flipkart just to check it :)
and happy gaming on the move.

SlayerAndy

Broken In

Dell has FHD screen, i.e. 1920*1080. It is way better. The graphic card is better too.

anmol4all

Broken In
Dell has FHD screen, i.e. 1920*1080. It is way better. The graphic card is better too.
but that's for higher end version. 62000 17R have a 1600x900 screen.
it have same GPU but with GDDR5 memory which affects framerates but not by much and the core i7 will compensates for it against the core i5 in 17R (62000 one)
if he can go with the 100000 version then i will definitely recommend it over samsung but that is also when he can get used to that weight.

Top Bottom