Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

raj_55555

Journeyman
My lappy had a dead pixel on the screen since the day it arrived.
But Dell changed the screen. They needed a little persuasion to change it. :wink:
Well! I have quite a few. This sucks really.

@ratul I'll post a picture later today, just so busy these days (got robbed of 3 lacs :( ).

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
guys really need help. to the people who own a 17r or 15r
so my main purpose is just gaming at the native res, be it 768p or 900p
onto the main question which is
1) i want to play all the games with no problem in the native resolution, but dont have definitive reviews about the 7730m graphics card. i want to know how it performs with games as comparison to the 17r at its own native res. what i have gathered is that 640m>7730m, but i dont want to buy a 14 inch, so my choices lie with either the 17 inch or the 15inch.
2) size is an issue. i have no idea how big the 17 inch really is, but weight is not a concern. i use my current lappy which is like 2.7kg with no problesm on my lap, and i intend to do the same with my new one. also is heat an issue with either
3) my 2 options are the 15r with i7 or the 17r with i5.

i really need input on this guys, just need to know the gaming performance in their own native resolutions. i want to be able to play all current and future games nicely with no lag. doesnt have to be the ihghest settings but i dont wanna compromise too much as the price of both laptops is coming around to be the same

dan4u

Took Off!!!
^ 17 inch is a complete desktop replacement, it weighs around 3.5kg and the battery life will be less, I don't think it can be kept on laps for a long time. but the 650m in 17r is way better than the 7730m, also the 650m can handle 900p. if you are looking at the 15r I'd suggest you go for the fhd screen since 768p is pretty old now..........and as far as i5 or i7, it really doesn't matter if you main aim is gaming, you will hardly notice any difference between i5 and i7.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
im really fine with 768p and i didnt think you got the question. my question is gaming performance of 7730m@768 p VS 650m@900p. i wanna know if i can game fine on 15inch or i have to get a 17 inch just for the 650m.
as for the weight issue trust me, my laps can handle anything they are made of steel!!
note: my current laptop lasts 15 mins on battery anything more is a godsend.

Last edited:

potheadninja

Broken In
I would suggest you to go with 17r se if you are ok with the extra weight and reduced battery life. 7730m definitely won't be able to handle upcoming demanding games at native resolution, I have a 15r se and I can't play witcher 2 at native resolution and at medium settings. overheating is not an issue with se laptops in fact they are the coolest ivy bridge laptops released so far, since you don't have to worry about overheating you can safely overclock 650m and overclocked 650m gddr5 is on par with 660m.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
thanks for the valuable input. i have decided to go with the 17r with i5 after all. a few further questions if someone would like to answer them
1) idle temps for 17r
2) max possible battery life for video at power saver/dell recommended mode with half brightness
3) how is the quality of the 17r/15r. i heard last gen dells were highly faulty and heat up like the sun.
4) how is the touchpad quality.
5) are all 17rs backlit, as the model in dell site shows both are but flipkart shows standard keyboard only.
6) screen quality of 17r

player100

Broken In
thanks for the valuable input. i have decided to go with the 17r with i5 after all. a few further questions if someone would like to answer them
1) idle temps for 17r
2) max possible battery life for video at power saver/dell recommended mode with half brightness
3) how is the quality of the 17r/15r. i heard last gen dells were highly faulty and heat up like the sun.
5) are all 17rs backlit, as the model in dell site shows both are but flipkart shows standard keyboard only.
6) screen quality of 17r

hey check out this review... it should clear most of ur doubts....
Review Dell Inspiron 17R-SE-7720 Notebook - Notebookcheck.net Reviews

ratul

█████████████████
1) idle temps for 17r
6) screen quality of 17r

And you can check here too:
Dell Inspiron 17R SE Customer Review..

Well! I have quite a few. This sucks really.

@ratul I'll post a picture later today, just so busy these days (got robbed of 3 lacs :( ).

:(, that's sad to hear, it's really a huge loss.. :(

astro

Broken In
While watching videos on my 15R SE (VLC or WMP), I am experiencing distortion after 4-5 minutes. The video keeps jumping and the sound also starts to break-up. Anyone else has the same experience ? Any suggestions on how to fix this issue without calling Dell Support ?

ratul

█████████████████
While watching videos on my 15R SE (VLC or WMP), I am experiencing distortion after 4-5 minutes. The video keeps jumping and the sound also starts to break-up. Anyone else has the same experience ? Any suggestions on how to fix this issue without calling Dell Support ?

First thing, STOP USING PIRATED VIDEOS... :p
Secondly, VLC for me never worked, it always used to jump movies like that and then getting pixelated for 3-4 secs... :-x
Use K-Lite Mega Codec Pack (my favorite), or POTPlayer (from the makers of great KMPlayer)..
Also keep your Video drivers up to date.. :razz:

Gtb93

In the zone
I've often heard you need to pay extra for the backlit
but in the 56k, and the 53k versions of the laptops on the dell website, they always say backlit is included. Is it really like that or a misprint?
I'm thinking of nudging sammy for 15rse, the one with 6gb ram on it, and i5. I feel like sammy is a confused choice for me, with no reliable reviews, mixed outputs from people here, whereas the dell seems like a 'logical' choice. I've watched several videos of indian guys playing games on mid-high-ultra often, with the 7730M, plus the laptop seems like a decent enough buy with FHD, backlit, better AS service, less reported flaws(throttling, what not), etc.
Any inputs would be welcome =]

Ashish247

Journeyman
I've often heard you need to pay extra for the backlit
but in the 56k, and the 53k versions of the laptops on the dell website, they always say backlit is included. Is it really like that or a misprint?
I'm thinking of nudging sammy for 15rse, the one with 6gb ram on it, and i5. I feel like sammy is a confused choice for me, with no reliable reviews, mixed outputs from people here, whereas the dell seems like a 'logical' choice. I've watched several videos of indian guys playing games on mid-high-ultra often, with the 7730M, plus the laptop seems like a decent enough buy with FHD, backlit, better AS service, less reported flaws(throttling, what not), etc.
Any inputs would be welcome =]
No more throttling in sammy Bios update fixed it. You cannot play new games with 7730m @ FHD in high-ultra settings. But yes, dell is a suitable choice and certainly seem to have lesser issues. I have the same confusion atm. I will not be going for FHD but for the normal 1366x768 resolution(if I go for Dell at all). However sammy is not a bad choice at all now. Only a few problems of dead pixels(2-3 guys reported that) BIOS update reduced temps too.

player100

Broken In
Did u see the dell official website...they have made some modification in Inspiron 17R SE.... the cpu, HDD and the price are different now....

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
*i.imgur.com/mCmy0.png?1
Good news guys!!, the Dell 17R SE i5 version now comes with a FHD screen:cool:

Here is the link- *configure.ap.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=in&cs=indhs1&l=en&model_id=inspiron-17r-se-7720&oc=v540440in8&s=dhs&fb=1&vw=classic

Attachments

• Inspiron Laptops   Find yours   Dell India.png
    Inspiron Laptops Find yours Dell India.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 81
Top Bottom