Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

n64freak

Broken In
lols.. not sure right now.
Spoke to the Dell guys just a couple of minutes earlier. FYI the actual costs of these special editions are 8K less than being charged. E.g. core i7+4GB cost is Rs. 49773.95.
The extra Rs. 5652.67 is the countervail duty and Rs. 2803.91 is the central service tax.

And then add 5% VAT to it. DAMN!! :O

Now the government needs it's share, don't they? Buy it with a college ID, or through a government officer's card. That should give you a 5% discount, effectively, it's a .25% discount on the price they show without VAT.

raj_55555

Journeyman
@n64freak
BTW to answer your earlier question, 10/100/1000 port > 10/100. And also both 15R SE and 17R have the same.
And no the laptops aren't being imported, only some parts are. Otherwise the CVD would be too high.

________EDIT______

^already getting 5% discount (corporate discount) :p

RON28

Cyborg Agent
i think there is no gigabyte Ethernet on new dell insprion laptops :( but do they have any big impact on networking, anyone here to tell in details ? :(

ratul

█████████████████
@n64freak
BTW to answer your earlier question, 10/100/1000 port > 10/100. And also both 15R SE and 17R have the same.
And no the laptops aren't being imported, only some parts are. Otherwise the CVD would be too high.

________EDIT______

^already getting 5% discount (corporate discount) :p

i think there is no gigabyte Ethernet on new dell insprion laptops :( but do they have any big impact on networking, anyone here to tell in details ? :(

yes, but it won't make any difference unless you are setting up a large n/w, and your system being the server, 10/100/1000 just means the Gigabit Ethernet, i.e., max transfer rate on a full duplex network can touch 1000mbps on that line, tell me, how many of us have 100mbps internet connection.. :p, forget about 1000mbps...
So just relax, it won't make any difference on day to day basis...

Test for geeks: Open Task Manager and while using your full bandwidth of your internet connection (downloading with IDM), see the networking tab and note the %age usage of your internet connection on your Ethernet Card.

Last edited:

raj_55555

Journeyman
Gigabyte ethernet, I don't know any such thing :p

Just kidding, Gigabit ethernet is there in the inspirons, at least the 15R SE does have it.

See for yourself in the specs section :)
Dell specs page said:
Wired communications Integrated ethernet 10/100/1000

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
Is the AMD radeon 7670M graphics card compatible for linux or I should go for nvidia one?

Yes, it is compatible with linux OS. Linux OS supports manual switching which requires restart of X-Server to switch between graphics solutions. Read this
HD 7670M is better than GT 630M in gaming performance.

Acoustichead

Broken In
Dell New Inspiron 15R SE 3rd Gen Ci7/ 4GB/ 1TB/ 2GB Graphics/ Win 7 HB Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Dell NotebookFlipkart Inspiron 15R SE

Strange in this config...it shows NVIDIA Graphic card

raj_55555

Journeyman
yeah! that has to be wrong. I have seen this many times with flipkart, they don't bother with the exact specifications.

far

Keep Going!
Dell New Inspiron 15R SE 3rd Gen Ci7/ 4GB/ 1TB/ 2GB Graphics/ Win 7 HB Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Dell NotebookFlipkart Inspiron 15R SE

Strange in this config...it shows NVIDIA Graphic card

Flipkart's Spec's are not always accurate..refer manufacturer's site for specs..those will be final..

Acoustichead

Broken In
:lol:...i almost had decided to wait till flipkart brings it out....btw will Special Edition laptops last in market for more than a month??...i amean till August?

ratul

█████████████████
:lol:...i almost had decided to wait till flipkart brings it out....btw will Special Edition laptops last in market for more than a month??...i amean till August?

Can't say, some say that special editions are launched just for a month or so, some say that they are gonna stay for long in the market...
Better contact Dell for that, btw, till August, most of the companies would have launched their IB Proccy lappies, so hope for having loads of options by that time... :wink:

BTW, :hyper: my order status has currently changed to Manufacturing Build Complete.. :D
Expecting it to arrive soon... :mrgreen:

kid A

Right off the assembly line
Hello Everyone :razz:

Actually i was silently going through all the conversation happening here from past 2-3 days as a guest logger, and i just created this account to thank all of you for providing all the reviews and other information.

I was going around all over the internet to look for a suitable laptops for myself since past one week. I am more into media post processing, illustration and animation right now.. also i was once a dedicated gamer during my college day.. and i know i am going to become one of them again once i got this new system.
A week back, i had almost made my decision to go for Asus K55SV, as i had budget stretched upto 50k, but later it got
stretched up to 70k where my colleague told me that we should go for a XPS.

Then all of sudden i happened to stumble upon this forum 3 days ago, and went through this topic and also searched other reviews about 15R. And yesterday only i placed query for two of them on Dell's website.

And to inform you people, i am yet to recieve a call (which i'll probably get tomorrow as of after one working day). But i happened to call this Dell Exclusive store here in B'lore few moments back.. And guess what ! They have these models right there, and the guy also told me that he'll get customization done if required (i am obviously going for a back lit keyboard):razz:

So even thou i have submitted the cart, i am visiting this store tommorrow, and feel the laptop.
- Also he told me that, they provide weekend offers here.. i.e. some free electronic goodies...
- After placing the order and payment, he said they can ship anywhere in India for free (I will be off to Surat next week, so i will get it delieverd there.)
- Moreover they are offering it on the same prices as on the website.

Only problem i will be facing is that, as i am going for 2 laptops.. i will be paying via cheque.. and will have to wait till mon eve or tue before it get cleared.. And so it will take a week to ten more days after that to get it delivered in Surat.

But anyway, i found this awesome forum to get all info from. I will visit the store probably by tomorrow noon.. and mostly probably, i will book my 15R's right over there :D and let you guys know if there's more regarding this or any other model by Dell.

Thank you everyone once again :razz:

Acoustichead

Broken In
Can't say, some say that special editions are launched just for a month or so, some say that they are gonna stay for long in the market...
Better contact Dell for that, btw, till August, most of the companies would have launched their IB Proccy lappies, so hope for having loads of options by that time... :wink:

BTW, :hyper: my order status has currently changed to Manufacturing Build Complete.. :D
Expecting it to arrive soon... :mrgreen:

I had a talk with one of the Dell representative. He says he has no knowledge of any such thing to happen but he says the prices might rise in the future.

@ratul awesome man! Do post your review on the same. btw whts the config??

ratul

█████████████████
I had a talk with one of the Dell representative. He says he has no knowledge of any such thing to happen but he says the prices might rise in the future.

@ratul awesome man! Do post your review on the same. btw whts the config??

well, prices'll rise as we have seen in case of HP 7xxx series, also because of decrease in value of rupee against dollar... :cry:

but, i have posted config earlier in the post, 15r SE, i7, 8gb RAM, 1tb HDD, backlit, 3yr. premium support, accessories: BT headset, HDMI cables, Wireless mouse, Targus Synergy Backpack, 36month Mcafee.. :razz:

Top Bottom