Defragging {query}

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatguysmart

The Blessed one
Hello guys,
I want to know if I need to back-up my drives, or files, or anyother thing before I start defragging.

The total volume of data on my hard disk is less than 35 GB.How much time will it require for the process.I am using

Windows XP professional
Pentium 4;
2.6GHz
256 MB RAM

Any help is appreciated.
Thank You.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Go here & u'll understand about Defragging *www.answers.com/Defragment

You dont need to BACK-UP any thing. Just make sure the DRIVE you are going to Run Defragmenter has 15% free space.

Before running Defragmenter press "Analyze", to confirm whether the Drive Needs to be Defragmented.

The process may take a 20 minutes or more.

shaunak

Tux Fan
defragmentation is faster in NTFS than on FAT file systems.
on NTFS you may need any thing from 45 to 70 mins depending on the level of fragmentation.

OP
F

fatguysmart

The Blessed one
Yes I realized that it really takes a lot of time.
Only 1% in 10 mins.

But I have more qurey
If I start the defragment utility and stop it after 15 mins when it is yet to be completed,will it affect my PC?

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
fatguysmart
if I start the defragment utility and stop it after 15 mins when it is yet to be completed,will it affect my PC?

NOPE.
Some say its a good thing to do, if the process is taking very long to complete. it saves your hard disk from OVERHEATING.
If its taking long (as in your case) Pause/Stop the process for some time & then resume/start. both Pause/Stop are all most same in MS Defragmenter.

Download "Power Defragmenter", it really speeds up the process.
Go here *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28869 u'll find it here

Last edited:
OP
F

fatguysmart

The Blessed one
s18000rpm said:
fatguysmart

NOPE.
Some say its a good thing to do, if the process is taking very long to complete. it saves your hard disk from OVERHEATING.
If its taking long (as in your case) Pause/Stop the process for some time & then resume/start. both Pause/Stop are all most same in MS Defragmenter.

Download "Power Defragmenter", it really speeds up the process.
Go here *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28869 u'll find it here
Very nice software !I will try an d tell you what happens.
And as you said about Overheating,wud that corrupt my data?

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
It doesn't corrupts the data but MAY Degrade the performance & life of HD.

See HD is a Mechanical system, so the more it overheats, (like if you run it A 58-60 degree celcius for longer period of time, the HD performance is reduced.

Use the HDD Themometer to monitor ur HD Temperature. its really good as it takes the least system resources.(about 800KB)

You'll find the HDD Thermometer here *www.rsdsoft.com/downloads.php4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom