ntomer

Broken In
Hi,

My old desktop has DDR2 RAM. One of the sticks (1GB) conked off and I need to replace it. The model number is Kingston - KVR800D2N6/1G. I found this RAM at Snapdeal/Flipkart/eBay/Amazon. But everywhere the picture shows a much wider module. The one in my desktop has one full half-circle on the sides; where the ones in pictures have two half-circles.

I am not very hardware-literate. Please tell me the difference between the two; and whether the bigger one will fit on my motherboard (Intel DG31PR).

Regards

Nitin

quicky008

Technomancer
your motherboard(intel dg31 pr) supports upto 800 mhz DDR2 ram modules-therefore all DDR2 modules that are rated 800 mhz will definitely work on it.I suggest getting a new 2gb ddr2 800 mhz module from kingston-you can get one from fk here:

Kingston DDR2 2 GB PC DRAM (KVR800D2N6/2G) - Kingston : Flipkart.com

And as for your query about the sizes of ddr2 rams,its true that the newer ddr2 modules often have a slightly smaller height than the ones that were available a few years ago-but as they still conform with the ddr2 specifications,they will fit on any motherboard that supports ddr2 rams.They may have a slightly smaller height but they will still fit onto your existing mobo as they essentially have the same form factor as the older ddr2 modules that were slightly larger in size.(such as the transcend ram in the link given below).

Transcend DDR2 2 GB PC DRAM (JM667QLU-2G) - Transcend : Flipkart.com

Last edited:
OP
N

ntomer

Broken In
Hi,

Here are pics of the older RAM module (narrower one) and the one currently available (wider one). Will the new one fit in old slot?

Regards

Nitin

Attachments

• RAM1.jpg
    RAM1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 131
  • RAM2.jpeg
    RAM2.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 134
Top Bottom