ddr2 667 mhz- overclocking problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamitp

Broken In
i am going for a intel c2d e6320 with an xfx 650i ultra mobo,i wanna know: is ddr2(kingston) 667 suitable for overclocking( as ddr2 800 is much costlier), how far can i get with ddr2 667.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
well , good ddr2-667 should easily do ddr2-800 speeds , but with higher latencies i.e. ...

One suggest ... u should go for the E4400 or even the E4300 .. ur sure to hit 3.0 GHz even without oc'ing the RAM .. and the extra L2 ur looking for int he E6320 is really not worth it .. unless u work loads with 3D/2D editing ...

I use Corsair value ram .. and i did a max of 825 @ 5-5-5-15 at Mem. voltage set to 'auto' ... it passed orthos blend test for 6 hours ... didn't have any patience to test longer , as i don't intend to oc my ram without proper ram sinks :p ..

Last edited:
OP
I

iamitp

Broken In
so do you think kingston lavue ram ddr2 667 mhz will allow me to OC my e6320 to around 3 ghz?
amit

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Well .. i cannot bet on that .. particularly with the lower 7x multi on the E6320 .. ur RAM should do >800 .. which i'd not bet on ..

If u wanna hit 3 GHz easy with ddr2-667 mem ... look for E4300 , eE4400 , E6600 or better cpu's .. or u simply need to invest on good quality ddr2-667 ram ...

OP
I

iamitp

Broken In
hey sam9s, how didja find dat out ,i mean ram has gotta be 857 mhz, and wots the mutiplier got to do wid dis.
can sum1 explain me the concept of multiplier and realtion between ram and OCing the processor.

OP
I

iamitp

Broken In
hey sam, thanx!
so i guess i'll have 2 go for ddr2 800, is kingston good?, corsair is much costlier, is there a price drop for ddr2 800 expected anytime soon.

will my mobo affect OC, is xfx nforce 650i ulta gud, or shuld i consider intel 975/965 series?

i heard that intel is launching e6750 on july 22, its got an 8x multiplier and is around 7.5k, shuld i wait for it?

regards,
amit

OP
I

iamitp

Broken In
ok, i think i'll go for transcend, its price is same as kingston, and i think 1gb ddr2 800 costs about 3000 rs. now.
650i comes in both sli and non sli, i was talking about the xfx nforce 650i ultra which is non sli, i read its review on chip, and on the net, it seems to be a good overclocker, only margianlly lesser than the intel boards, but the real reason i want to buy it is its price, at 6000 buck its gud value, and the cheapest ASUS P5B-VM - is about 7000 bucks, while the deluxe and other ones are over 11000 bucks.

well i wanted 2 wait cuz, if i bought e6320 now, and after a month i know could have got a far better processor at the same price, it'd kinda like feel bad wouldn't it?

and yeah, 1 more doubt, i have heard of OCing tools which OC from inside windows xp like clockgen and nvidia ntune, are theybetter or same as BIOS OC? are they less complicated and safer 2 use?
regards,
amit

PS: u seem very knowledgeable about OCing, wot do u do?

assasin

Banned
iamitp said:
.well i wanted 2 wait cuz, if i bought e6320 now, and after a month i know could have got a far better processor at the same price, it'd kinda like feel bad wouldn't it?

well u cant prevent that from happening.2day u buy a product and 2morrow u'll come 2 know that a better product is available in the market at that same price.it all depends on ur needs.its better not to buy a proccy just when its launched cuz u wont be able to know bout its OC capabilities.

OCing thru BIOS is the best.no software will give u that convience which u get on OCing thru BIOS.

OP
I

iamitp

Broken In
hi,
well when i say marginally lesser than intel boards, i meant inetl chipsets like 975/965, according to anandtech review, 650i offers best in class OC for the price. to be honest i don't have an option, you see i am just 17 and my dad gives the money, and he ain't too geeky, so i have to keep the budget as low as possible, and if i go with ddr2 800 i have cut down sumwhere, so i will go wid 650i.

hey, can you refer or give me a overclocking guide for first timers like me, i i tried googling, but most of them are 2 detailed and confusing, i just want to knw the exact settings which willlet me push my proc.
and do u think is there any need for special cooling(like from coolermaster) and a very good PSU, i was thinking of goign for a local 500W pSU which comes fitted inside the cabinet, shuld i invest in a good PSU from zebronics, etc.
regards,
amit

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
a former over clocker newbie, helped by sam9s & others in my 1st Ocing experience.
You surely need a good PSU 500 watts & a well cooled cabinet with good air circulation, & extra heatsink cooler will surely help, it lets u OC better with less heat in the CPU.

ok, i think i'll go for transcend, its price is same as kingston, and i think 1gb ddr2 800 costs about 3000 rs. now.
Is it that low price now , can u confirm from which dealer /city u got that price, I will soon upgrade another 2 gb in my system if its that low.

assasin

Banned
iamitp said:
to be honest i don't have an option, you see i am just 17 and my dad gives the money, and he ain't too geeky, so i have to keep the budget as low as possible, and if i go with ddr2 800 i have cut down sumwhere, so i will go wid 650i.

hey, can you refer or give me a overclocking guide for first timers like me, i i tried googling, but most of them are 2 detailed and confusing, i just want to knw the exact settings which willlet me push my proc.

if ur havin budget probs then i'll suggest u to buy a C2D E4300/E4400,DDR2 667 ram and a good 965 chipset mobo like P5B,P5B DLX etc.E4300 is a very good proocy and OCs very well.u can easily hit 3GHz.

to oc ur proccy inc the fsb by small amounts and check whether the system is stable at that speed.u'll aslo need to increase the vCore i.e the proccy core voltage.incraese the vcore by the smallest possible increment.rememeber that if u increase the vcore too much u can fry ur proccy,aslo ur proccy will generate a lot of heat.the vcore val sud be enough so as to keep the system stable at 100% load.
keep the pci bus freq locked at 33.33,u can inc the pci-e bus by a small amt if u like.
if ur pc doesnt boot after oc or it BSODs, either reduce the fsb or inc the vcore.

OP
I

iamitp

Broken In
hey ranjan, i think ddr2 800 from kingston is 2500 now, i saw it on techtree.com pricelist, u can buy it from computer empire, nehru place.and hey assasin, is it necessary to increase the vcore, i mean how much can i increase fsb without increasing the vcore?

assasin

Banned
iamitp said:
is it necessary to increase the vcore, i mean how much can i increase fsb without increasing the vcore?

if u increase fsb and dont inc vcore then ur either ur system wont boot into os at all or it wont be stable under load.

u can easily inc the vcore to 1.35-1.42v for C2D.i've set the vcore to 1.315 @ 3GHz.for u it cud be higher or lower.it all depend on proccy and mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom