Data Card vs Mobile phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumit8695

Live life the techie way
Hi,

I want to surf internet from my laptop using data card or mobile phone in BANGALORE. Please let me know

1. which is a better option (both performance & cost wise)? data card, or EDGE/GPRS enabled mobile ?

2. if it's data card, then which one is preferable?... airtel/relaince/tata indicom etc. ?

3. if it's mobile phone, then which service provider is the best (both performance & cost wise)?..... airtel/vodafone etc?
Also, please suggest me a good EDGE enabled mobile phone, with least possible price from any brand (preferably nokia).

Thanks,
Sumit

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
My experiences. EDGE in vodafone seems to be good but only GPRS in most non-metros. EDGE in Airtel is sometimes good, sometimes bad. Reliance speed is bad during the day and good during the night and early morning. The best is Tata Indicom as of now at least for me.

If you ask phone or data card, (I use phone and my dad uses usb data card), I find that my dad's connection is a lot faster than mine when accessed through mobile phone. And roaming isn't a problem since whatever speed you get in Chennai, you will get the same speed in some village also (in fact the speed can be better since the no. of users will be lesser in a village).

I heard of an offer of Rs.2500 and 2800 mins free browsing or something like that. Seems value for money to me.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Had you asked a month earlier , I would have advised you to go for TATA but not now as on my card, the speed has worsened. Now I would recommend Airtel, which is also PCWOrld 2008 best buy, and is more trusted. But the plans are little cheaper if you use GPRS/EDGE than that on Data card. For Delhi, on Mobile on Airtel you get unlimited access for Rs. 499pm while on data card its Rs 999pm

Someone reply to my queries as well here

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dude, if you can, then try to get DataOne EVDO card......

Please refer this website for more details......www.bsnldatacard.com (Din's website) and www.bsnlevdoclub.com (Gigacore's website). It is going to give you the fastest speed at the lowest price.

Please refer them for more details........:)

EVDO will work at CDMA1x (144kbps) speed when EVDO network is not available....EVDO can attain speed upto 2.4mbps but I think you'll be able to get 700kbps atleast (which is still faster than EDGE providers) and that too just at around Rs.550 per month.....

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Hi,

I want to surf internet from my laptop using data card or mobile phone in BANGALORE. Please let me know

1. which is a better option (both performance & cost wise)? data card, or EDGE/GPRS enabled mobile ?

2. if it's data card, then which one is preferable?... airtel/relaince/tata indicom etc. ?

3. if it's mobile phone, then which service provider is the best (both performance & cost wise)?..... airtel/vodafone etc?
Also, please suggest me a good EDGE enabled mobile phone, with least possible price from any brand (preferably nokia).

Thanks,
Sumit
My experience with any wireless internet has not been good in this city. The only thing I'd recommend you is BSNL EVDO for 550 per month when you buy the device (for 3.5k) for unlimited data transfer with upto 2mbps depending on signal quality. The lowest speed offered by this is still much much more than any EDGE or Data card speed. Only hitch is that its post paid.

OP
S

sumit8695

Live life the techie way
Thanks all for ur replies !!

Please suggest me a good EDGE-enabled phone with least possible price (from any brand, preferably NOKIA).

Thanks,
Sumit

Note: Many thanks to those who suggested EVDO..... It seems it's really a very good option.....I will try to get it in near future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom