Cyclic Redundancy Check error for new HDD

meetdenis

Broken In
Hi,

I've installed a new HDD and when I try to initialize it from Disk Manager, it gives a Cyclic Redundancy Error. The disk is shown as Unknown, Not Initialized
I tried to check it using 'diskpart' command but it does not show the disk. So, I am not sure how do I even run a CHKDSK or SFC on this new disk.

What could be the issue and how do I fix this?

error.pngerror2.png

quicky008

Technomancer
run crystal disk info and check the health of the disk-if it reports anything untoward such as bad sectors etc then you will have to get it replaced.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
They may have sent you a defective hdd, it has happened to me too.. I order purple hdd, Amazon seller sent me an old blue hdd with purple sticker

patkim

Cyborg Agent
CRC could also mean bad SATA cable. Recheck the SATA cable connection. Fit the cable firmly at both ends, do not excessively bend it. If required, try another SATA cable and check again.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most probably Op has bought the HDD online and it gone bad due to mishandling by the courier and poor packaging by the seller. Faced issues in the past with HDD bought from flipkart and amazon both .

Anyway, first try a different cable and a different port.

OP
M

meetdenis

Broken In
run crystal disk info and check the health of the disk-if it reports anything untoward such as bad sectors etc then you will have to get it replaced.
Crystal disk info shows 'caution' status

I used 'AOMEI Partition Assistant' and did a 'rebuild MBR'. That was successful and in Disk Management, the disk was shown Healthy. I was able to start the Initialize operation and it also allowed me to choose the drive letter, volume label, etc. However, at the end of the wizard it said 'the format did not complete successfully'

error4.pngerror3.png
CRC could also mean bad SATA cable. Recheck the SATA cable connection. Fit the cable firmly at both ends, do not excessively bend it. If required, try another SATA cable and check again.
I don't have a spare. Will have to get a new one and try.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I do, I got very swift replacements for my failed harddrives, once it was my fault as I accidentally dropped it.
The hdds you get back will be refurbs but they are still fine.

OP
M

meetdenis

Broken In
There will be pickup from home option, go to their warranty portal, register your serial number, and schedule a pickup from home. I did this when I was in bangalore.
No home pickup option in Mumbai. I handed over the HDD to a WD authorised drop off address myself. They say a new one will be delivered to me in 2 weeks' time.

OP
M

meetdenis

Broken In
UPDATE !
I finally got the replacement drive delivered today. Delayed by two weeks due to lockdown.
Installed the drive and worked like a charm.

Thanks for your support.
Thread can be closed.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes. The guys at the drop off center also said all replacement HDDs are new ones.
Don't be so sure, re-furbished drives stats are reset to zero & only by using certain specialized software & tools made by manufacturer can you find out if the drive is re-furbished. Unless you have it in written from WD official support that drive is new, don't believe it & assume drive to be re-furbished.

Top Bottom