custom gaming laptop [60k]

agent_47

Right off the assembly line
im a soon 2 b college freshman(cse) and i want 2 buy a gaming laptop ...i have seen dell xps 15, hp dv-6 but dont exactly match my specs.. Im looking for a
i7 (overclockable)
Linux
Nvidia 555 gtx
40 gb ssd (will buy external 1 tb)
17 inch fhd 1080p (no 3d needed).
& plz enlighten me if i can play crisis 2 and b'field 3 at laptop's max res..can stretch to max 65k (without hdd).
Thanks

Last edited:

sandyqbg

Broken In
If you're gonna buy a gaming laptop, then the 40GB SSD seems a little tight. Anyway, if you really want a lap that has a SSD then you gotta stretch your budget even more... unless you're looking to splurge all your money on the SSD and give up on the other components.

I'd say drop the SSD. It isn't really that much worth the money given your strict budget. Also good configs on a 17 incher will cost you more. You gotta settle for a compromise.

Check the Dell XPS 15 with the following custom on its 47k version:
-Core i7 2630QM
-6GB memory
-2GB GT 540
The rest are the default components on that version. It will lack the bells and whistles but for a true gamer I guess that would take a back seat in the face of performance. Also the 540 is slower than the 555 but only a tad slower. The difference will not be glaring.

With this config you can play on max resolution but with other visual effects like AA, AF, etc turned to medium. It will definitely look good, if you that's what you're bothered about. And the best part: It sets you back by only abt 58k, which is within your budget. You could probably buy a good keyboard-mouse combo or a gamepad with the extra dough. Or you could consider a 9cell config if you're the kinda guy who's on the move a lot.

There is also the HP dv-4 3000, but it's got only a 14" screen(which I'd say is a big minus for a gaming laptop) and no Core i7.

As for the rest, good gaming laptops that come close to your reqs are way above your budget. I did a market search myself for a gaming laptop only recently with a budget of 80k and couldn't find a lap any better than a more buffed up custom version than the XPS 15 I've suggested for you.

OP
A

agent_47

thanks alot, ok ill drop the ssd,but gaming in a 15 inch doest soumd fun 2 me ..i could add extra 10k at max for a 17 wid same specsand dont know why im forced to take a win 7 everywhere

sandyqbg

Broken In
As I said I did search for a large screen lap myself but there weren't any good ones within my price range. If you're gonna be lugging it around only occasionally then you can buy a monitor and hook it to the lap when playing. But then you'd be better off with a desktop for such an arrangement.

If you really want a 17 incher, then check out the HP DV7, but it's gotta a crappy GPU. Or check out the Alienware M17x, but be warned, it's got a killer price tag. There's the Samsung R780 but it's got even worse specs than the DV7.

The main problem with laps is that unlike desktops you can't customize them to suit all your reqs. If laptop 1 has component A & B on your list it won't have component C. Laptop 2 will have A & C but not B... and so on.

As I said I did search for a large screen lap myself but there weren't any good ones within my price range. If you're gonna be lugging it around only occasionally then you can buy a monitor and hook it to the lap when playing. But then you'd be better off with a desktop for such an arrangement.

If you really want a 17 incher, then check out the HP DV7, but it's gotta a crappy GPU. Or check out the Alienware M17x, but be warned, it's got a killer price tag. There's the Samsung R780 but it's got even worse specs than the DV7.

The main problem with laps is that unlike desktops you can't customize them to suit all your reqs. If laptop 1 has component A & B on your list it won't have component C. Laptop 2 will have A & C but not B... and so on.

how true is that ?

I think a 15 inch screen is okay and I would back myself for that config he suggested you .

You wont get desktop like performance in a laptop .

If (user = hard_core_gamer)
get.desktop

OP
A

agent_47

hmm, te hpdv7 lacks sandy bridge and its ati so no no.ill buy it this june 1 , maybe i will go for dell xps 15 ..anyone heard of sony vaio f series? Why is sony not into gaming laps

OP
A

agent_47

hey guys, i got the one im lookin fir , a 17'', i7, gt 540,1080p ,its asus N73sv-TZ040V ..but its not available in india !!! ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Notebooks- ASUS N73SV

spm

Journeyman
try the dell xps 17. is almost perfect for u though its not available in india.
has sandybridge core i7 + nvidia gt 555 3 GB ( though 3 GB is only to satisfy the marketing guys) can also be ordered with 3d

Top Bottom