Creating a home network using LAN and WLAN connectivity in Siemens SL2_141 ADSL Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor1989

Broken In
Hi folks,

I am using the BSNL Dataone UL750+ plan with the Siemens SL2_141 ADSL Modem for 3 months now and I am happy to say that I am satisfied with my connection. However, I am a gaming freak and also have massive volumes of data transfer among friends, which is often quite not helpful with external storage devices. So, I often use my PC-to-PC LAN connection to make this happen. But, when it comes to multiple users trying to have a decent LAN gaming experience, I fail. My modem has 4 Ethernet ports (RJ-45) and a Wireless connectivity out of which I only use one Ethernet port to connect to my PC for internet. So my queries to you people are given below.

1) How to configure the wireless connection so that, my other friends can also connect to internet when I am logged in?
2) How to do the same above using the other 3 Ethernet ports?
3) How to create a Home network dedicated totally for gaming using the full capacity of my modem (LAN AND WLAN) accommodating numerous other PCs and laptops and, if possible, connect to the internet for online game play alongside?
4) Would the above configurations enable problem-free data transfer among various PCs and laptops too?

Basically, I want to use my modem to the max and would like to know its capabilities. I use Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit build 7077 and my modem is Siemens SL2_141 ADSL Modem. A speedy reply is appreciated and thank you in advance.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Re: Creating a home network using LAN and WLAN connectivity in Siemens SL2_141 ADSL M

For ques nos 1 & 2 u need to set the password on d modem itself to use ur internet as multiuser. In tat case ny1 who is connected to ur modem(via ethernet, usb or wlan) will b able to access internet.

*www.calcuttatelephones.com/dataoneinstall/menu.html

In the avobe link u'll get step by step process for hw to set the username and password to ur modem.

Aftr ths when u'll switch on ur modem u'll b connected to internet automatically(u dnt need to dial frm ur PC). Those who r connctd to ur modem will also b able to use the net.

For ques no 3 all the pcs tat r connected 'll automatically b the member of ur LAN. If not set the LAN properties for ur modem.

Open IE or ny browser. Type ur gateway address(normally its 192.168.1.1). Type ur username and password(by default its admin for both). Change it if u n ur frnds r using the same modem for security n keep it personal.

For ques no 4 d ans is YES thr will b prblm-free data transfer(aftr u set up ur LAN settings properly) among various PC's and Lappy's too....

OP
Raptor1989

Raptor1989

Broken In
Re: Creating a home network using LAN and WLAN connectivity in Siemens SL2_141 ADSL M

@krishnandu.sarkar
The link you gave has the steps to configure the modem. Well, I want the whole procedure from setting up the modem to setting up the PCs. The steps mentioned have been already followed by me. The problem is that, the laptops can detect my wireless network but cannot log into it. It keeps on showing "Connecting..." but does not connect even after 10 minutes. When I connect the laptop to the modem through Ethernet, the laptop gets a reply from my PC when I ping to my IP address, but the vice versa is not happening. So what should I do. I have already allowed File and Printer sharing from both terminals and Windows firewall is off.

Please give me the entire set of steps to properly configure this above mentioned network. I am a noob in setting up networks and would require all the steps (no shortcuts please).

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member

Refer to ths for setting up ur WLAN cnnctn
*www.ln.edu.hk/itsc/tsg/wireless/wlan-configure/winxp-eng-v1.html

OP
Raptor1989

Raptor1989

Broken In

@krishnandu.sarkar
The steps shown in the link you provided were for wireless card used, but in my case, I want to use the wireless connectivity provided the modem, although I had made the said configurations in the modem. Please elaborate the process by which I can configure both the PC and laptop and setup a wireless network. Please reply from your personal experience andalso reply in reference to windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom