create front end gui in linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Hi Guys
which is better (and simple) qt, gtk or something else to make a gui for some program witten in C. The idea is to create a user interface containg buttons etc on a form. Are there objects like activex controls in windows that can be dropped on to the form for some functionality? I have till date never made such a program in linux . is it simple or the learing curve toooo steep.

Please help.
bye

r0xx

Broken In
Learning Curve is rather simple. I think you will find qt-designer tool environment rather similar to VB. You would be using GTK+ if you going to code in C , and qt for C++.

r0xx

Broken In
If your project is going to be in c++ , go for qt though Gtk also has bindings for C++ (Gtkmm). Qt has good cross platform support and will serve your purpose . You can use qt-designer coupled with Kdevelop for a complete IDE. for gtk Glade and anjuta will be the combo. Maybe u can try some simple apps in both and check for yourself which one you like more or suits you. There is good documentation with qt and even fro gtk there are good startup tutorials on gtk.org.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
If you already have some experience with GUI building then you might want to get started with Qt ... Qt designing with Python would be the best and easiest i can say.... I'm personally using Python that's why i recommend it.... Qt is available as wrapper in python....

In case you haven't build user interfaces using a SDK, then i'd say that you get yourself started with a good book on Swing programming with Java2 .... that's how i learnt gui building ....

OP
P

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
i have worked with java awt and swing also made gui in mfc , vb etc but using gtk or qt is new for me. Actually i have this ME final project of developing and fielding a sensor network so the base station has to heve a gui for representing the information recived from various nodes. Now in berkley and other universited the standard is tiny os which uses java but somehow java based gui is not what i intent to use (real time issues...java RT ...) so i thought that i will take your help in comming up with a solution. The coding of the OS and the router are in C so please give me a definative lead to go on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom