Cpu temperatures on the higher side-is aftermarket cooler needed?

quicky008

Technomancer
I have a core i5 3570s cpu on a gigabyte b75m d3h motherboard.I'm using the stock cooler that was supplied with the cpu.I've been noticing that the cpu usually idles at 48-54 degrees C and when its under load(such as while gaming),it hovers between 69-75 C(esp during the hot summer months like the ones we are experiencing now).

This has been causing me some concern as the temps appear to be slightly on the higher side and i'm afraid that the cpu might sustain some damage due to overheating if its used like this much longer.According to intel's website,the Tcase temp for my cpu is 69 C-so is it safe to run it at temps that are slightly higher than this?

Is the stock cooler failing to cool the cpu properly?Will installing an aftermarket cooler bring down the temps noticeably(esp. during load conditions)?Is the cooler master H410r a good choice for my setup?Please advise.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
You can try to install a custom cooler like what you suggested or Hyper 103. Just not buy it and keep it on shelf due to lack of efforts (like me). In this summer core temp shows a reading of about 47C on average, and I have kept this Hyper 103 for far too long. Will install soon. >_>

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
this thread has some useful info. Please check and read it,
Tj Max , Tcase and processor degradation! - [Solved] - CPUs .

dont get confused with Tcase, Tjmax,Tcore etc. Tcase is something you should not really bother.

75C is actually normal under load. I also will not use stock cooler on an intel processor(will be fine with pentium and i3s).
what is your room temp? how long it is been since you have applied a thermal paste on to the cpu?
idle temperature may not drastically decrease with an after market cooler, but load temps will be definitely better. I have been using antec A40 for 4 years now with my i7 3770 and hyper 410r seems better than my A40.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Thanks both of you for the replies.The stock cooler that i am using was installed in december and the thermal paste was pre-applied on it,so that makes it around 6 months since the thermal paste had been applied to the cpu(actually this entire system was assembled in december last year for my personal use).

Is it not a good idea to use stock coolers with intel cpus like the i5s?Do they tend to generate more heat than i3s and pentiums?As temps around 75C seem fairly normal under load(when using stock cooler)-is it advisable to use a pc like this for long?If i choose not to install any aftermarket cooler,do i run the risk of damaging the cpu if temps routinely hit the 70s during load?

@Vyom: yeah the hyper 103 was my first choice for cpu cooler as its fairly popular and its installation process is fairly well-documented(several videos on this are available on youtube),which would have been really useful for me as i'm not really sure as to how i should install it.Alas it appears to be out of stock at the moment on sites like Fk and amazon(it may be available locally,but i didn't bother to check),so my next choice was the h410r as it appears to be an updated version of the h103 and is quite cheap too.Is installing a tower cooler very cumbersome-do i need to remove the mobo from the chasis for this purpose(i definitely would like to avoid it if i can,as reinstalling everything will be a real hassle)?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yes, I would definitely need to remove the mobo out of the chassis and then install the Hyper 103, which is part of the reason why I got lazy and didn't install it till now.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks both of you for the replies.The stock cooler that i am using was installed in december and the thermal paste was pre-applied on it,so that makes it around 6 months since the thermal paste had been applied to the cpu(actually this entire system was assembled in december last year for my personal use).

Is it not a good idea to use stock coolers with intel cpus like the i5s?Do they tend to generate more heat than i3s and pentiums?As temps around 75C seem fairly normal under load(when using stock cooler)-is it advisable to use a pc like this for long?If i choose not to install any aftermarket cooler,do i run the risk of damaging the cpu if temps routinely hit the 70s during load?

@Vyom: yeah the hyper 103 was my first choice for cpu cooler as its fairly popular and its installation process is fairly well-documented(several videos on this are available on youtube),which would have been really useful for me as i'm not really sure as to how i should install it.Alas it appears to be out of stock at the moment on sites like Fk and amazon(it may be available locally,but i didn't bother to check),so my next choice was the h410r as it appears to be an updated version of the h103 and is quite cheap too.Is installing a tower cooler very cumbersome-do i need to remove the mobo from the chasis for this purpose(i definitely would like to avoid it if i can,as reinstalling everything will be a real hassle)?

Whether you need to remove motherboard from the cabinet is purely based on the cabinet you have. Generally nowadays tower coolers are designed for not removing the motherboard from cabinet ( there should be a large cut out on the cabinet on the cpu part ).

So far had the experience of installing couple of tower and after market coolers. Removing the motherboard and then installing the cooler gives you plenty of options to observe and play around but it is not needed if you have a suitable cabinet.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
i have already purchased the h410r cooler but haven't had the time to install it yet-yes,my case(corsair spec 01)does have a cutout on the motherboard tray,will it allow me to install the cooler without actually removing the mobo from the chasis(ie can i insert the backplate required for the cooler through that cutout rather than removing the entire mobo)?

Its true that one should ideally attempt to install the cooler only after removing the mobo,but i'd like to avoid it if possible as reinstalling everything from scratch will prove to be rather frustrating later.

Another issue that i am facing is that the h410r cooler comes with 2 different sets of steel mounts for installing on amd and intel sockets,and both of them have spring loaded type screws fitted on either end.These screw holes have groove like patterns that are intended to be used depending on what socket type the mobo is having(in my case its lga 1155,so the screw should be positioned on the middle groove)-however the thing is some of the screws are not at their proper positions and i can't get them to come to the middle position despite twisting the screw a bit and then applying some force-why is it so?is their any trick that i need to use in order to move the screws between grooves in the screw holes?If yes,can someone please suggest what is the proper way to do it?

The above question may sound silly-but i dont have any experience in installing tower coolers and therefore i want to avoid making any rookie mistakes while doing so for the first time-therefore any help will be greatly appreciated!

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
^^the thing is , you need to wipe off the thermal paste from the CPU, then reapply the thermal paste and then you need to install the cooler. All this will become a little tough if you try all these on a fully assembled PC. you might save time too if you take the motherboard out!

you need to position the steel mount to center before installing the screw,right? some pictures will help.

Aviral27

Right off the assembly line
Your CPU Temperature is actually in the normal range considering consider how high the ambient temperature is these days. You can check the list of Average PC Temperature here.
Are you sure that the software you are you're using to monitor temperature is TCase and not TJunction?
Anyways here are the things you need to do:
1) Reapply Thermal paste
If the temps still high, get rid of the stock cooler.

Last edited:
Top Bottom