cpu not correctly recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikramjitkar

In the zone
hi everyone,
i bought an asus a7v880 mobo with via kt880 chipset. the trouble is that my athlon xp 2400+ @ 2 ghz is getting identified as 1800+ @ 1.50 ghz. the fsb is set at a default value of 100 instead of 133 and when i increase the fsb to 133 , the cpu is getting identified correctly but the system becomes unstable and all applications start crashing. i downloaded the latest bios frm asus.com but nothing changed. also there are no jumper settings on the mobo for frequency. (btw my cpu IS a 2400+ which was working fine on my old a7n266vm mobo and i hav confirmed that by checking the code on it)

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Hmm, this has been known to happen if you don't set the multipler properly. Like you figured, you have to change it from the default 2x100 to 2x133. Also make sure your DRAM clock is set to the same speed as the CPU FSB. Reinstall the OS if the applications insist on crashing. I've noticed that this is sometimes the only way to fix the problem once and for all once you set the configurations for the CPU properly.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
my processor get detected , but weird thing is it shows up as barton 2600 prowssor under cpuid cpu name in everest . even shows prowssor in linux .

@bikram : what wattage is ur smps ? if ur m/b cd came with a s/w called asus probe , install it and check the tempeature of ur cpu and voltage and cpu fan speed . there was a case where m/b manual was misprinted with the fsb settings . how did u change the frequency of ur board anyway ? asus i have has dip switches .

goobimama

 Macboy
hey, I got an AMD problem. My 1800+ is showing as 1.6Ghz. but my 2000+ is showing as 1.2Ghz. What do I do? what is the correct Ghz setting for a 2000+?

--------------
*www.rollaword.com/firefoxsig.jpg
Rollaword.com

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
The 1800+ operates at 1.533 GHz and the 2000+ operates at 1.67 GHz.

@klinux: What processor do you have? A 2400+ or a 2600+?

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
@bikramjitkar : For a 2400+ the FSB should be set at 133 MHz and if you leave the multiplier setting at default, it should set the CPU clock speed at the correct value of 2GHz.

If you're using the RAM from your old A7N266-VM, they're probably PC2100 (DDR266). If you're trying to run them synchronously with the FSB at 166MHz (333 effective), then that's probably the reason for the crashes. If that's the case, you have to either run your RAM at 266 speed or get DDR333 or DDR400 RAM.

BTW, I'm curious as to why you changed from your old mobo ? The A7N266-VM was a good mobo except for the DDR266 limitation.

@goobimama : Is the FSB set at 133 with default multiplier ? And what mobo are you using ?

@klinux : Same Q as enoonmai - what processor ? I remember the misprint in the manual of the early production batches of A7N266-VM. I found the correct setting by trial and error.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
You have a great piece of processor at the heart of your system. 512KB Cache - twice that of an Athlon XP with a Thoroughbred or a Thorton core.

But one thing puzzles me : In your first post, you seemed to think it "weird" that Everest identifies it as a Barton 2600+. That's the correct ID, isn't it ?

Oh, you probably thought it would show as an Athlon XP 2600+, is that it ? I guess that's Everest's way of identifying the Barton core with the larger cache size as distinct from the other types.

OP
B

bikramjitkar

In the zone
hi guys,sorry i m replying 2 my own post so late.anyway 1st of all thanks 2 enoomai for sugesting 2 set dram clock 2 same speed as cpu frequency.this solves the problem but then what is the use of having ddr 400 memory if i hav 2 set it to 266(the cpu freq.) since the same problem occurs when i set dram clock to 333 or 400.?????
so plz suggest something else

@klinux:1) my smps is 300w powersafe.
2) i hav asus probe and it shows the same thing.
3) i changed cpu freq. frm bios(a7v 880 has a gr8 bios which enables overclocking without any jumper settings)

@pimpom :1) i m using ddr 400 mhz memory
2)my a7n266vm got damaged due 2 a short circuit.anyhow im more than happy with this board(dual channel ddr 400 support, agp 8x, gigabit lan, sata,raid,wi-fi......all the features of a7n8x-del at a much lesser price)

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
@bikram : what are the temperature and voltage values . my old 300watts used to frequently down my system , so switched to 350watts . i think u get 400watts now . b4 buying one , test ur friends smps on ur system to see if its stable

@pimpom : the speed and numbering of the barton 2600+ is not a problem ;). the weird thing was the spelling of processor which showed up in everything

"my processor get detected , but weird thing is it shows up as barton 2600 prowssor under cpuid cpu name in everest . even shows prowssor in linux ."

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Ok, spent the entire afternoon with a friend's AMD system. Basic tools and info you'll need to remember:
a. Get SiSoft Sandra 2004/2005 and 3DMark03/05.
b. Make sure your CPU temperature never exceeds 55 degrees Celsius for the tests.

First off, in DRAM settings, change everything here from "SPD" to Manual/Expert. Then start at the lowest setting and slowly climb up, making sure you run Sandra's Burn-In Wizard and check to see if its stable. If it appears to be, then move up one notch and repeat the process. If it appears to be unstable, change the multiplier up by one notch and the FSB by one notch, adjusting the vCore and vMem values as necessary.
At one point you will find a stable solution where you cant push it any further without inevitably causing a system crash. Also, try reducing the memory timings to find out the optimum crash-free settings.
This is the maximum point that can be supported by the board and the stock memory without seriously destabilising the system. Usually, I find that poorer quality memory drastically reduces performance and causes increased instability even at the recommended settings. Beyond this, there isn't much that you can do to actually fix the problem, short of actually changing the hardware, of course.
Its a little bit of work, but this is the best you can do to find the highest stable point on the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom