CPU + Motherboard upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaurav_

Right off the assembly line
Shopping List:
Processor (open to both Intel and AMD).

Motherboard (With good onboard graphics - preferably should be of the type that can be used *with* an external card if I buy one later. With DDR3 support unless it makes it crazily expensive).

RAM (2 GB single chip - I might add another one later. DDR3 if affordable. Which is the best DDR2 available? If I buy DDR2 now can I use it *with* DDR3 later on?).

Cabinet.​

Compatibility:

I have the following hardware and would like to retain most of them:
Monitor: LG StudioWorks 700E 17" CRT (might upgrade to LCD in short term).
HDD:
Seagate 250 GB SATA-2.
Another 80 GB IDE (want to use it as a secondary HDD).
ODD: LG GSA-H42N 18x DVD Rewriter.

SMPS: Intex IT-2045S 450 Watt (24 Pin).​

Budget:
10000 to 15000 INR (might stretch a bit if worth it).

Usage:
I am a software developer and need to keep running web and application severs for local development. Add to that some heavy-duty IDEs like IntelliJ and Eclipse (and not to forget that I might be listening to music or ripping DVDs at the same time... I multi-task a lot). I might also start working on a virtual machine (Linux over Windows XP). I am currently using Windows XP as my OS, might upgrade to windows 7 when it arrives and if it's worth it. I am not really a hardcore gamer, but want my machine to be capable just in case I want to try some of the latest games. Apart from that I surf a lot and do regular multimedia stuff.

So guys n gals, any suggestions? This is the first time I am upgrading my Processor and MotherBoard. I have been using an Intel P4 2.4 GHz for the last 4 years. When my motherboard gave in recently, I decided I want to do this major upgrade. I don't want another major upgrade (cpu+mobo) for say another 3 years.

It would be great if with your suggestions you could also give the latest prices in Mumbai. I am eagerly awaiting your responses.

Cheers,
Gaurav

Last edited:

acewin

Point Blanc
you never gave your budget, so would not suggest much, except will wait for your response on your budget.
For your work, a Quadcore would be good. and if you are spending good worth then intel core i7 especially if you can wait for couple of months so that prices become little stable. Core i7 run only on DDR3 RAM

DDR3 prices are very high. 4 times of DDR2. Best are Corsair RAMs, then OCZ and G-Skill.
In normal quality Kingston and Transcend are best.

For motherboards, stop thinking of IGP boards, a good board + external GPU will cost you same as your IGP board, also such a board(not IGP ones) will give you more feasibility to run things the way you wanna run.

OP
G

gaurav_

Right off the assembly line
Thanks for the replies friends. I am very busy this week so don't really have time to research on your suggestions immediately.

you never gave your budget, so would not suggest much, except will wait for your response on your budget.
Actually I did mention it , Acewin, in INR. It translates to ~ 300 USD. As I mentioned, I am open to stretch beyond that if it's worth it, but after a good amount of convincing myself.

For your work, a Quadcore would be good. and if you are spending good worth then intel core i7 especially if you can wait for couple of months so that prices become little stable. Core i7 run only on DDR3 RAM
Yeah, the i7 looks like the dream engine but my motherboard is already down and my sister needs to use a PC so I can't wait for more than a week. Which QuadCore is a good balance of price and perforamce? What do you think about the Phenom? I hope my budget is not too modest for my requirements :???:

Both Acewin and Power_user_EX have suggested against IGP so I've begun to think in terms of an external GPU. Also that'll allow me a gradual upgrade so that I can spend the bucks on a good CPU and motherboard as of now.
DDR3 being so pricey I think it makes sense to go with DDR2 now. But can I use a DDR2 together with a DDR3 (retaining all benefits of the DDR3) if I buy one later? And any suggestions for a mobo brand? Thanks again for being so helpful!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom