CPU Heating Problem!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

k_mridul

Broken In
I have following PC configration:-

AMD AthlonXp 2400+ (2GHz)
ASUS A7V400-MX SE Motherboard (VIA KM400A Chipset)
Integrated VIA UniChrome 3D/2D graphics and video controller.
One Extra medium-Size Fan apart from CPU and SMPS Fan.
256 MB DDR RAM @266Mhz

Samsung 80GB HDD @7200RPM
Sony CD-RW
17" CRT Monitor

I am using WinXp-SP2, NAV2005(updated) and all sorts of diffrent stuffs.

I also have installed 'ASUS PC Probe', its a CPU and M/B Temperature Monitoring Utility and comes with the M/B CD.
In this S/W I have set the CPU Temp Threshold to 70 C.

In normal usage CPU Temp ranges from 56-60 C (with Cabinet Open)

But recently when I installed and tried to play a game (EA Cricket 2004) the system just got shut (without any warning or somthing).
Although everything was normal when started it again. This might happened because of ASUS PC Probe has shut the system when CPU Temp got up more than 70 C.

But i want to know that:-
1) Can playing a game may result in hype in CPU temp by 10 C ?
2) should i increase the CPU Temp Threshold ? upto which CPU temp is it safe to run system on ?
3) I can also get a graphic card (ASUS V8170SE-GeForce4 MX440-SE GPU-64MB) from one of my friend. Will installing this card be helpful to overcome above problem.

I am not a serious gamer (I use computer mainly for programing and play games, like Cricket2004 or NFS-HP2, for just relaxing) so i dont want to spend a lot of bucks for the sake of game only. But if there is any problem with my system config pls do tell me.

Also i dont hav any AC in my room, just a fan keeps my room cool enough.

Kniwor

Learner
Such problems usually dont require any money to be solved (u might have to get another thermal pad)

So start playing a game today, after the processor shuts down, touch the heatsink and see, if it's not tooo hot and u can keep ur hand on it for few seconds without problems, there can be 2 reasons, wither ur motherboard is reading wrong temperatures or while installation the heatsink pad was damaged.
So i'd suggest u spend 100 Rs. ang go to inel service centre and get a honeywell eatsink pad that they use on intel processors and apply it, please remove the previous compound properly.

All heatsink compounds are not same so dont use a cheap one, it can worsen the situation...

mousereddy

Right off the assembly line
this need not be a hardware problem

hey mridul

this need not be a hardware problem ;
before that my questions are are u using a cracked version of game or an original one .
the same problem is experienced by friends also ,

any way if u are confident that there is no problem with the software then do as our friend kniwor suggested

bye

G

gxsaurav

Hmm, it could be that the motherboard temprature sensor is giving wrong readings, it's a known problem with many motherboards

Your CPU can reach upto 84C before it needs to shut down, so U can change the threshold limit

saifoddin

Broken In
i have same config pc & i am geting same problem
but i get worning from voltage side what should i do
please give me solution

Crazy_Eddy

Broken In
The AXP 2400+ is most probably a Thoroughbred core. Those run pretty cool, so either:
1. Your motherboard sensors are misreporting
2. Your heatsink isnt installed properly

To the guy above, if you are getting warnings about your voltages, your PSU looks to be on the edge. Could you be more specific about which voltage line is giving the warning, and more about how widely it is deviating from the standard voltage ?

chirayu garg

Journeyman
I also have a XP 2400+ on MSI KM-4M-L and the CPU temp under normal usage is 70 C and I have installed two systems fans and the heatsink is properly installed but I have not used any thermal compound.

Crazy_Eddy

Broken In
^ Like I mentioned before, tap the heatsink to check if the Heatsink is really that hot i.e. 70 deg C . If it isnt , it means your heatsink doesnt have proper contact in which case I would recommend re-installation of the heatsink. Or it could just be the motherboard sensors misreporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom