(CPU/GPU) Physics discussion thread

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Guys, i had thought of this thread a longtime & now i think is the right time.

Several discussions emerging in different gpu threads somehow bring this point over and over again. Therefore here all physics engines starting from nvidia's proprietary physx to other engines like havok, bullet etc will be discussed but in peace and call demeanor. No flame wars here please.

I 'll start the first post with the following piece of information:

Guys now check what physx 3.0 brings to the table. Finally physx 3.0 is supporting multicore cpu's with latest SSE instruction set to take care of floating point math operations. They claim to reach a broad user spectrum by this move.

Check this & this

Nvidia Releases PhysX 3.0

guru3d

It doesn't use the older x87 instruction set.

Arguably more noteworthy is a new Task Manager and managed thread pool, which "allows games to take advantage of multi-core processors on all platforms." You might recall that, last year, we discovered that certain games completely fail to implement PhysX in a way that takes advantage of multiple CPU cores—or even modern instruction sets like SSE. PhysX 3.0, it seems, is tackling that issue.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
I will add this the last last line in conclusion says the same thing lets hope it really happens

NVIDIA APEX PhysX: CPU vs GPU Efficiency | NVIDIA APEX PhysX,PhysX CPU Performance,GPU Efficiency,NVIDIA APEX PhysX: CPU vs GPU Efficiency

Top Bottom