CPU Box for Office Work within 20K

edurgesh

Journeyman
Hello friends,

I need your help in building a new CPU box for simple office work in my society.
Please find the detailed information below:

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: MS Word, Excel, mails and internet.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Rs. 20,000 max.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 TB should be fine.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No; already have a 22" FHD monitor

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Reusing the existing monitor, keyboard and mouse

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Around 2 weeks time

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes, and this system also will be build by me.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Pune; local & online both are fine for me.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: The new system should be fine for 3-4 years though the use case will remain mostly the same.

Thanks a lot!!

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
This is almost a month old config suggestion so prices may vary (link to that thread).

Cpu: Intel Pentium G4560 - 5,500
Cpu Cooler: Stock - 0
Motherboard: Asus Prime B250M-K - 6,435
RAM: G.Skill Aegis Series 8GB DDR4 2400MHz - 4,515
Hard Disk: WD 1TB BLUE - 3,600
Video Card: None - 0
Power Supply: Corsair CX430M - 3,850
Case: Corsair 100R - 3,000

Total: ~26,900

As of now, there is no information on coffeelake pentium CPUs so no point in waiting for it.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Thanks for such a fast reply!

But this seems to overshoot the budget. I cannot extend that much from 20K; maybe few hundreds more but not that much.
I think we can reduce the RAM to 4GB, maybe a cheaper m/b, case and psu?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Thanks for such a fast reply!

But this seems to overshoot the budget. I cannot extend that much from 20K; maybe few hundreds more but not that much.
I think we can reduce the RAM to 4GB, maybe a cheaper m/b, case and psu?
Updated prices from mdcomputers

Cpu: Intel Pentium G4560 - 5,500
Cpu Cooler: Stock - 0
Motherboard: Asus Prime B250M-K - 5,935
RAM: G.Skill Aegis Series 4GB DDR4 2400MHz - 2,440
Hard Disk: WD 1TB BLUE - 3,360
Video Card: None - 0
Power Supply: Antec BP450S - 2,450
Case: Antec VSK 4000B - 2,090

Total: 21,775

I would've recommended a H110 mobo but I don't know if you have a skylake CPU nearby to update the BIOS so that it can work with G4560.
As for the case, you could go with a local one without PSU but make sure you have enough ventilation and proper dust filters/covers would be a bonus.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Updated prices from mdcomputers

I would've recommended a H110 mobo but I don't know if you have a skylake CPU nearby to update the BIOS so that it can work with G4560.
As for the case, you could go with a local one without PSU but make sure you have enough ventilation and proper dust filters/covers would be a bonus.

Thanks a lot dear! Yeah, I don't have a skylake CPU with me to update the BIOS, so this m/b looks fine except the price is on little higher side considering the overall budget.
I'll check the prices locally in Pune & then decide where to order from.

Thanks again!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check primeabgb site,you can even call them.They are located on Lamington Road,Mumbai & I think they can deliver in Pune cheaper than other pc component shopping sites.They will also update the bios of mobo if you ask for it.Also gigabyte H110 mobos are now coming with updated bios out of box as per some members reports here.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Check primeabgb site,you can even call them.They are located on Lamington Road,Mumbai & I think they can deliver in Pune cheaper than other pc component shopping sites.They will also update the bios of mobo if you ask for it.Also gigabyte H110 mobos are now coming with updated bios out of box as per some members reports here.

Thanks for the update! In fact I was just checking the PrimeAbgb and TheItDepot sites only; few components are cheaper at PrimeAbgb.
If the new H110 m/b come with the update bios, it would be really great; any specific model in H110 m/b?

I'll check the local shops also, then buy the components.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
One member reported that gigabyte GA-H110M-S2 from mdcomputers comes with updated bios.However do note that H110M-S2 & H are average quality board series of gigabyte compared to their costlier DS2 & S2PH series.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
One member reported that gigabyte GA-H110M-S2 from mdcomputers comes with updated bios.However do note that H110M-S2 & H are average quality board series of gigabyte compared to their costlier DS2 & S2PH series.

Thanks for the update, but is there enough value in going for H110 m/b and whether there will be any difference in performance?
Looks like the price difference is around 1,600 which is good for the limited budget though. It's getting confusing now.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
H110 is the most basic mobo series for using 7th gen intel processors & for the basic usage it should be fine.Intel Pentium G4560 is the most value for money 7th gen processor as of now as it is faster than some 4th gen core i3 processors & just about 20% slower than 7th gen i3 7100.B250 mobo is recommended if you use system as your main pc with all type of works.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
H110 is the most basic mobo series for using 7th gen intel processors & for the basic usage it should be fine.Intel Pentium G4560 is the most value for money 7th gen processor as of now as it is faster than some 4th gen core i3 processors & just about 20% slower than 7th gen i3 7100.B250 mobo is recommended if you use system as your main pc with all type of works.

OK great! Though this will be the main PC but will be used occasionally for working on Word, Excel or sending mails/internet browsing purpose. This will not be used heavily.
In that case, I think sticking to the H110 m/b should be fine which further saves some money.

Thanks!

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
if you don't need HDMI , you can buy Asus H110 CS for 4000 or so , this is much better quality than S2 at similar price.. but BIOS update is not confirmed .. instead of BP450S change PSU to Corsair Vs450

Last edited:
OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
if you don't need HDMI , you can buy Asus H110 CS for 4000 or so , this is much better quality than S2 at similar price.. but BIOS update is not confirmed .. instead of BP450S change PSU to Corsair Vs450

Thanks mate, but I think Asus H110 CS m/b doesn't come with the updated bios to support the 7th gen CPU. In this case I would rather stick to the Gigabyte S2 with updated bios, or move to B250 m/b. And the Corsair SMPS seems fine but few members don't recommend the VS series from Corsair; not sure how does it perform compared to the Antec BP450S?

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Thanks mate, but I think Asus H110 CS m/b doesn't come with the updated bios to support the 7th gen CPU. In this case I would rather stick to the Gigabyte S2 with updated bios, or move to B250 m/b. And the Corsair SMPS seems fine but few members don't recommend the VS series from Corsair; not sure how does it perform compared to the Antec BP450S?

BP450PS is the lowest quality No OCP , No active PFC , not thoroughly tested.. avoid it

VS450 and Vp450p are not recommended for gaming builds , VS 450 competitor is Antec VP450P ..

both of them are roughly same quality wise overall with same cheap capacitors ,

VP450P being better in a few areas like longer hold up time ( for UPS ) , good crossload performance , but has a high ripple which is a negative as it affects Capacitors' life..

Vs 450 crossload performance is not good with loads above 200 Watts+ , but has very good ripple performance ..

main advantage of vs450 is warranty .. VP450P is 2 years , while Vs450 is 3 years .. and Vs450 is 300-400 Rs cheaper as well.. warranty is very important with these cheap units , Corsair has good after sale services , and if you RMA your unit after 1.5 year or so you might get the newer Corsair Vs400 which is better than both these units for the price ..

so as long as you are not going to add more than a low end/entry level basic GPU , VS450 is fine for your build or you can pick VP450P if you like..

and change PSU after 3-3.5 years .. also make sure you get fresh piece of PSU not with some old manufacturing date

i would also recommend you to go with a better quality board than S2 for longevity if you can ,

Last edited:
OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
BP450PS is the lowest quality No OCP , No active PFC , not thoroughly tested.. avoid it

VS450 and Vp450p are not recommended for gaming builds , VS 450 competitor is Antec VP450P ..

both of them are roughly same quality wise overall with same cheap capacitors ,

VP450P being better in a few areas like longer hold up time ( for UPS ) , good crossload performance , but has a high ripple which is a negative as it affects Capacitors' life..

Vs 450 crossload performance is not good with loads above 200 Watts+ , but has very good ripple performance ..

main advantage of vs450 is warranty .. VP450P is 2 years , while Vs450 is 3 years .. and Vs450 is 300-400 Rs cheaper as well.. warranty is very important with these cheap units , Corsair has good after sale services , and if you RMA your unit after 1.5 year or so you might get the newer Corsair Vs400 which is better than both these units for the price ..

so as long as you are not going to add more than a low end/entry level basic GPU , VS450 is fine for your build or you can pick VP450P if you like..

and change PSU after 3-3.5 years .. also make sure you get fresh piece of PSU not with some old manufacturing date

i would also recommend you to go with a better quality board than S2 for longevity if you can ,

Wow! Thanks for such a detailed technical explanation! Looks like VS450 will be a better choice for PSU.
Also I'm still not sure about the motherboard, only constraint being the budget. I cannot extend it significantly more than 20K; maybe little bit.

I've still not ordered the components, but will finalize and order soon. Let's see what can I fit in that budget.
Thanks again!

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Wow! Thanks for such a detailed technical explanation! Looks like VS450 will be a better choice for PSU.
Also I'm still not sure about the motherboard, only constraint being the budget. I cannot extend it significantly more than 20K; maybe little bit.

I've still not ordered the components, but will finalize and order soon. Let's see what can I fit in that budget.
Thanks again!

yeah VS450 is good in "your case" as you are not going to add a GPU in this build.. if you plan to in future , please tell now..

it is only one time inconvenience , to look out and buy motherboard from some big computer shop in your area that can update the BIOS for you before selling ..
assuming you don't need HDMI , look out for these boards, Ds2 is only 200- 300 Rs more than S2 .. and Asus costs same as S2 .. so they will not affect your budget much and you will get good quality motherboards , just the trouble of finding right seller one time

Gigabyte H110M - Ds2
Asus H110M - CS

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
yeah VS450 is good in "your case" as you are not going to add a GPU in this build.. if you plan to in future , please tell now..

it is only one time inconvenience , to look out and buy motherboard from some big computer shop in your area that can update the BIOS for you before selling ..
assuming you don't need HDMI , look out for these boards, Ds2 is only 200- 300 Rs more than S2 .. and Asus costs same as S2 .. so they will not affect your budget much and you will get good quality motherboards , just the trouble of finding right seller one time

Gigabyte H110M - Ds2
Asus H110M - CS

Thanks for the info. I checked the Asus 110M - CS m/b and I think it requires the BIOS update in order to use the G4560 CPU, but not sure about the DS2.
For me the motherboard should support the CPU out of the box, because I cannot update the bios at home; 200-300 price difference should be fine though.

Also, a GPU will never be added to the desktop, so I guess Corsair VS450 should be fine if it fits in the budget.
Thanks

Top Bottom