Corsair VS550 or CX430?

blackpearl

The Devil
I'm on the lookout for a new SMPS for my PC of modest configuration (i3 2100, 8GB RAM, G210 Gfx card, 1SSD + 2HDD, 1 DVD drive)

The Corsair VS550 and Corsair CX430 falls within my budget, but I'm confused which one to go for.

Corsair VS550 550 Watt PSU - Corsair: Flipkart.com
Corsair SMPS CX430 430 Watts PSU - Corsair: Flipkart.com

The VS550 is 550 watt rated at 85% efficiency while the CX430 is 430 watt rated at a lower 80% efficiency. All other specs seems same to me.
But the CX430 is priced higher at ~ Rs 2900 and the VS550 at ~ Rs2400.

Why the price discrepancy?

Please advice.

Thanks

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
How much is the Antec vp450? My budget is Rs3000.
Why are you against Corsair?

It is antec VP450P and not the old vp450. It should be 2.8k in most shops.
Iam not against corsair. Their VS series PSUs like VS350,vs450,vs550,vs650 etc are bad and not recommended. you can refer reviews on internet if you want. corsair is changing its oem and CX series psu like cx430 v2 is receiving lots bad units and hnce more number of RMAs and is not recommended now.

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
Major problem: I have Iball UPS that delivers modified sine wave, not pure sine wave. I have read that modified sine wave is not compatible with PSUs with active PFC. So I may have to go with a PSU without active PFC :(

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Major problem: I have Iball UPS that delivers modified sine wave, not pure sine wave. I have read that modified sine wave is not compatible with PSUs with active PFC. So I may have to go with a PSU without active PFC :(

almost all upses we currently have provides modified sine wave. those upses which provides pure sine wave are very costlier. Even those upses which does not provide pure sine wave works well with active pfc psus.But some low cost upses provides just square wave instead of ,modified sine wave (known as pseudo sine wave which is exactly a variation of square wave). Apc 600va is just fine. since you have iball psu, i dont know about its reliability. Since you have doubts, i suggest to get antec vp450 which does not have active pfc circuit unlike vp450p.

also the purpose of the ups is to provide enough time to shut down your pc. Dont use it for long time on battery.

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
What UPS are you using? Does it deliver pure sine wave?
I want to know how serious is the square wave-active PFC problem.

Edit: Just checked the brochure for V Guard Slender Plus 600VA UPS. It says pseudo sinewave. So definitely not pure. Did you face any problem? sudden shutdown etc?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
What UPS are you using? Does it deliver pure sine wave?
I want to know how serious is the square wave-active PFC problem.

Edit: Just checked the brochure for V Guard Slender Plus 600VA UPS. It says pseudo sinewave. So definitely not pure. Did you face any problem? sudden shutdown etc?

no. i dont know the quality of iball ups , so cant really comment about this. pure sine wave upses cost a bomb. if you use your ups for ,say, 2-3 minutes which is required for shutting down the pc, i dont think it will create much problems. running on battery for long time will definitely create problems in the long run for sure. again, i dont really know the quality of iball ups whether it provides,pseudo sine wave or just square wave. you may have to google.

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
no. i dont know the quality of iball ups , so cant really comment about this. pure sine wave upses cost a bomb. if you use your ups for ,say, 2-3 minutes which is required for shutting down the pc, i dont think it will create much problems. running on battery for long time will definitely create problems in the long run for sure. again, i dont really know the quality of iball ups whether it provides,pseudo sine wave or just square wave. you may have to google.

No, I meant your UPS - the V Guard Slender Plus 600VA UPS (in your siggy), not about iBall.

The V Guard Slender Plus 600VA UPS says pseudo sinewave. I want to know whether you had problems with that with Antec VP450P.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
No, I meant your UPS - the V Guard Slender Plus 600VA UPS (in your siggy), not about iBall.

The V Guard Slender Plus 600VA UPS says pseudo sinewave. I want to know whether you had problems with that with Antec VP450P.

i already mentioned NO. I dont have any problems with my ups and psu.

Top Bottom