Corsair TX 650m died, need new one for 4-5k

zapout

Ideas are Bulletproof
Hi,
My corsair TX 650m died on me, the psu is shutting off with a click sound.
I've tested it with paper click method also, it turned on for a few second but shut off after a click sound.
This unit is out of warranty.

So I was planning on buying a new psu.
My budget is between 4-5k.

Config-
-A10 5800k
-ASUS F2A55-M LK2 PLUS
-8gb(4x2) corsair vengeance 1600mhz ram
-1tb wd blue, 500gb wd blue, 500gb Seagate 7200.12
-dvd drive
-4x120mm fans
-apc back ups es 650
Plus, I was also planning on buying a gpu, preferably 750ti. Now I will buy it some time in the future as need to invest into a psu now.

Please suggest a power supply.

OP
zapout

zapout

Ideas are Bulletproof
I'm considering Seasonic S12II 520, the corsair one above comes with 3 years warranty, whereas seasonic comes with 5.
I'm not in touch with the current power supply series from difference companies.
So, waiting for other members for their input on this.

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
corsair GS600
it has been dicontinued.
I'm considering Seasonic S12II 520, the corsair one above comes with 3 years warranty, whereas seasonic comes with 5.
I'm not in touch with the current power supply series from difference companies.
So, waiting for other members for their input on this.
seasonic is better. get s12ii 520. if you are going to buy from online shops, make sure the seller is overclockers zone(online) only.

Important Note:

The current Seasonic distributor for India (Tirupati Enterprises) is only honouring warranties for those units that are purchased directly from them. As of now, many dealers have reported that they are either not honouring warranty for Seasonic units distributed by them by creating some hassle during RMA process and referring them back to the dealer. Long story made short, they are making dealers to discourage them from selling online, though some stores have said that they're doing the same with physical stores who have their own site for selling online.

Why do they do this? Why doesn't Seasonic intervene? Unfortunately that's a question for another day. Simply put, unless you purchase from them (overclockerszone) you will end up facing hassle at some point. This has been happening for a while now.

As of now, stick with recommending other brands- Antec, Coolermaster, etc. Note that VS, CX and RM series should be avoided as of now. Note that reviews under certain series are advertising power supply reviews based on initial design/ components on first model. There is a level of bait-and-switch of components are happening along with newer rev, even changing OEMs at one point. Check the actual model number mentioned on the power supply reviews (on the pics showing power supply labelling). No issues with AX non-i series that I've heard so far.

Thermaltake is rumoured to be handled by Acro Engineering, but I am not sure of the RMA procedure and the reputation of Thermaltake PSU. I believe toughpower is a good option. I've also heard Antec switched to Acro Engineering, so available should be as good as Coolermaster IMO.

If you're buying from online marketplaces like Flipkart and Snapdeal, make sure its from 'overclockerszone'. You can always buy it from their website overclockerszone.com or something like that.

OP
zapout

zapout

Ideas are Bulletproof
[MENTION=135617]rijinpk1[/MENTION] thank you very much for the info. I'm going to buy the seasonic S12II 520.

Another question, should I buy it from snapdeal?, the seller is overclockzone but I'm hesitating because of snapdeal.
Or should I order it from their site itself?, any experience of buying from them?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
[MENTION=135617]rijinpk1[/MENTION] thank you very much for the info. I'm going to buy the seasonic S12II 520.

Another question, should I buy it from snapdeal?, the seller is overclockzone but I'm hesitating because of snapdeal.
Or should I order it from their site itself?, any experience of buying from them?

even i dont trust snapdeal nowadays. you can get the item directly from overclockerszone website. or even from ebay. you may get good coupons over there.
Seasonic 520W Power Supply 80 Bronze S12II 520 | eBay

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
If you are hesitating, then buy from overclockrszone directly. Or else you can look at Coolermaster GM series. GX II series. Antec vp Series. I think they have High current gamer or something, but I am not sure of the OEM. Antec also has Edge series, but I am not sure if they're good or not. There are plenty of options now. Honestly, I wouldn't invest money in a product whose distributor is so....exotic. I am not sure how good Antec RMA is, but distribution i hear will now be handled by Acro Engineering (for Mumbai it is or was Prime ABGB).

OP
zapout

zapout

Ideas are Bulletproof
I've already order the seasonic one from eBay. Form what I've read online, rma service of seasonic is quite good.
I was planning for corsair purchase, because of their after sale service, but their lineup aren't as good as before, atleast in my budget. Antec is also good but I've a holy image about seasonic in my brain as they are the oem manufacture of most of excellent psu.

Also now I'm worried if I've ordered the psu too early. I've checked with a local psu that I've lying around and it was running fine with system . But I'm still worried if after all this the problem turned out with some other component .

OP
zapout

zapout

Ideas are Bulletproof
Yes I did, I'm just worried.

By the way, what can be the reason for the psu to fail?

How I got the TX 650m -
I purchased a vx450 in 2008. In 2013 my whole system got fried because of earthing problems(atleast I think it was that), so I thought to replace every component at the time, vx450 was working fine mind you. But I still submitted it for replacement, and got TX 650m.
So this one only lasted 2 years.
There was no signs of failing before it went dead.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Yes I did, I'm just worried.

By the way, what can be the reason for the psu to fail?

How I got the TX 650m -
I purchased a vx450 in 2008. In 2013 my whole system got fried because of earthing problems(atleast I think it was that), so I thought to replace every component at the time, vx450 was working fine mind you. But I still submitted it for replacement, and got TX 650m.
So this one only lasted 2 years.
There was no signs of failing before it went dead.
Maybe I was lucky as I used to have TX650M. Nowadays reputed manufacturers products are also failing though warranty saves us all.

OP
zapout

zapout

Ideas are Bulletproof
Received the psu today, brother took the delivery. I'll install it tonight or tomorrow.

OP
zapout

zapout

Ideas are Bulletproof
Just for information - what I've read in online reviews this unit has single rail configuration, but labeled as dual rail. The labeling is wrong.

Exert from johnyguru review- "Neither the manual nor the cabling made any indication of what went to what rail, so I popped the cover off. This unit does not have two 12V rails at all - it's a single 12V design."

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to test the corsair psu before putting it in the box.

First grilling noise started coming from it then a "white spray" (it was not exactly smoke, more of chemical thing) started coming from the psu.
I think something exploded inside the psu. The white stuff filled the whole room. The smell was horrible.
And after i dragged the psu outside i saw some liquid stuff coming out of the psu.

I was really sacred, at least there was no actual explosion/flames.

*i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp225/borncrysis/IMG_20150214_152659270_HDR.jpg

*i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp225/borncrysis/IMG_20150214_152752720_HDR.jpg

*i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp225/borncrysis/IMG_20150214_152712296_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

REDHOTIRON2004

Journeyman
I can't really confirm 100% from these images. But, it seems as if your caps have leaked. Busting caps like this is the worst case senario. They usually bulge and go down.

Over the years corsair have degraded there quality. Although there ASS is good. Still, they majorly use capxcon, samaxon and other el chepo caps even in there higher end psu lineup instead of good Japanese caps.

It was bound to happen sooner or later. Surprisingly enough, there units only last upto there warranty time. After that you have to buy another one(making planned obcelence).

That was the only reason, I bought myself an Antec vp budget series. Seasonic is also good. Avoid corsair if you can from the future if you want your product to last more than there warranty.

OP
zapout

zapout

Ideas are Bulletproof
The spray of the gas/stuff was very intense, psu was on the floor, and the gas was touching the upper wall of my room.
It was like a fire hose.

I'm done with corsair.

Top Bottom