Considering a better CPU cooler, thanks to the PS5 teardown

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
I am sure many have seen PS5 disassembly video. Here is it for those who haven't

Its amazing how minimalistic the setup is, but for me the biggest thing was how much effort they put into cooling the system. Massive heatsink, a huge fan and best of all, liquid metal TIM! TIM stands for thermal paste is used to transfer heat from CPU to heatsink.
This has made me think that I may have foolishly ignored cooling. My stock cooler, while being good enough, could have always been limiting the performance ?
Thoughts ?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am sure many have seen PS5 disassembly video. Here is it for those who haven't

Its amazing how minimalistic the setup is, but for me the biggest thing was how much effort they put into cooling the system. Massive heatsink, a huge fan and best of all, liquid metal TIM! TIM stands for thermal paste is used to transfer heat from CPU to heatsink.
This has made me think that I may have foolishly ignored cooling. My stock cooler, while being good enough, could have always been limiting the performance ?
Thoughts ?

Stock cooler is Ok if you don't overclock and for the most if the cpu is running cooler eliminating any possibility of thermal throttling. But still getting a third party cooler is recommended if the your cpu is coming with a too little one .. other than better cooling it just looks Rad :D

. My stock cooler, while being good enough, could have always been limiting the performance ?
Thoughts ?
What's your CPU? Also mention its sustained clock speed, temps, etc. The easiest way is to run some benchmarks & compare them with online numbers for your CPU. Cinebench R20 is a popular CPU benchmark tool.

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
I have used several CPUs in the past. My temperature have always been in 'control. Never really going over 80C.
Currently using Ryzen 1600AF . My Cinebench gives a score of 2490 , while review websites give my proccy 2900! But this could be due the number of background services running. During the benchmark the temp touched 70C .

Stock cooler is Ok if you don't overclock and for the most if the cpu is running cooler eliminating any possibility of thermal throttling. But still getting a third party cooler is recommended if the your cpu is coming with a too little one .. other than better cooling it just looks Rad :D
Question is at what temperature does performance start becoming affected.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have used several CPUs in the past. My temperature have always been in 'control. Never really going over 80C.
Currently using Ryzen 1600AF . My Cinebench gives a score of 2490 , while review websites give my proccy 2900! But this could be due the number of background services running. During the benchmark the temp touched 70C .

It varies from cpu to cpu .. I think over 90 - 90c throttling starts and anything under 80c is in safe zone while 80 - 90C is a warning zone :D

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I guess laptops could run in the 90c zone without much issues as thermals are rarely as good as their desktop counterparts. However, with desktops it's never smart to let it rise that much. Should keep it below 90c as much as one can (either with better TIM or a better cooling system)

How did you get R5 1600AF in India?

You should get close to full performance on R20 a few mins after a clean boot without you manually running other apps. Run it 2-3 times. 70C is fine during CPU stress test. Usually, performance is affected when CPU crosses 95C, I think, when heavy thermal throttling kicks in to keep temps low.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I guess laptops could run in the 90c zone without much issues as thermals are rarely as good as their desktop counterparts. However, with desktops it's never smart to let it rise that much. Should keep it below 90c as much as one can (either with better TIM or a better cooling system)
TIM depends on the heatsink design and mounting pressure as well. Kryonaut is runny and thus, not good enough above 80° C IMO. After using Kryonaut (stock paste) and Noctua NT-H1, I'm planning to try Phobya Nanogrease Extreme and Kingpin Kpx maybe next year.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom