Connecting a laptop to a desktop through 1394 cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anindya

In the zone
Plz tell me how to connect a laptop to a pc through a 1394 cable. I have the cable. I connected one of my friend`s lappy to it but nothing showed in My Computer on in My Network Places though the in network connections it showed that it was networked.

manmay

Journeyman
it will be same as connecting using lan cable.

in both sides the firewire interface would have to be assigned an ip address and you'll have to enable file sharing. share some files. and try to access lke we access in an ethernet environment....it should work fine....but the performance will not be better than 100 mbps lan connectivity.....

OP
Anindya

Anindya

In the zone
Ok tell me my pc already has a lan connection. Thus already has an ip. So for the firewire will i have to give a new ip in its connection or that same ip will work?

manmay

Journeyman
no you'll have to give a sesparate ip to your firewire connection.....say like in case you have 2 lan cards ....then you have to give separate ips to each card ...right....

OP
Anindya

Anindya

In the zone
Thanks buddy will try once again. Though tried in the same way previously without any good result!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
widout a bridge, how can you connect 2 computers via a plain firewire cable. i don't think thats possible in PCs. however, afaik its possible in macs.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Bridging is sometimes needed when you you a LAN cable.
How ever if you are using 1394 Cable which is the firewire cable simply connecting them and turning up sharing will do it..!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
i know that its possible in a mac as i said before but i've seen work in a PC. bridging is an electronic ckt which facilitates the interfacing of the sender and receiptant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom