Connect 2 PCs, LAN cable ?

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
First try LAN cable connecting to Laptop and Computer. And check in "Network", shared folders will be available.
You can share complete drive. I tried that and I was successful. Then simply copy paste.

And for Ubuntu I don't know.
You can try running bootable os on pendrive, Hiren's boot cd windows 10 version..
I don't know if it will decrease 1000mbps lan speed or not.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Network settings say that link speed is 1000 Mbps (on both )

Is it available through Flipkart ? I would like to buy a 10m cable. Can you please link to a proper item ?
I would suggest to buy it from local, cables are costly online.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Did you try copying a single large file? Are results still poor with a single large file?

Make sure that at both ends you are indeed getting 1000 Mbps Full Duplex. Ideally when network interface senses 1 Gbps it will auto switch to full duplex but just verify the same at both ends just to be sure.
Open a terminal
Code:
sudo –s
Type your admin password
Code:
ip link show
look for the name of Ethernet card. traditionally it should be eth1 but on my PC it’s enp27s0

ethtool <ethername name> e.g.
Code:
ethtool eth1

see sample output screenshot from my system. See the section on actual speed and duplex status.

speed.png

Problem could be anywhere. There might be some hidden setting to be enabled in Linux, bad LAN cable, NIC-OS/driver issues, speed negotiation issues etc.

Try the same cable on Windows PCs if you can. If you have no access to Windows PCs then use something like Live Windows PE disks like Hiren Boot DVD on both systems to boot into Live Windows and try the same exercise, if Windows cannot detect Linux partitions, may be you need to create FAT32 or NTFS partitions on free space on respective PCs and load it with some files to test transfer over Windows.

As far as what cable to buy is concerned. I have no experience in that as I create my own LAN cables using loose CAT6, RJ 45 plugs and my own crimping tool. However generally in my experience Amazon Basics products are good. You can opt for one such CAT 5E or CAT 6 cable. CAT 6 is superior but expensive. It also has a plastic spine inside to prevent cross-talk. However CAT 5E should do and supports 1 Gbps.

OP
meetdilip

meetdilip

Computer Addict
How about this one ? Support only up to 500 Mbps though

EHATT RJ45 CAT6 10 Meters Ethernet Network Patch cord LAN Cable 10 m Network Cable - EHATT : Flipkart.com

OP
meetdilip

meetdilip

Computer Addict
This one is CAT6 , 15m and 1000 Mbps

*www.amazon.in/dp/B01N0IQ4GQ/ref=twister_B0846QY127?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1#productDetails

Or should I buy CAT5E, 10 m and 1000 Mbps ? Please suggest

*www.amazon.in/Terabyte-CAT5E-RJ45-...r&qid=1580551232&sprefix=lan+c,aps,664&sr=8-3

OP
meetdilip

meetdilip

Computer Addict
That is CAT5. I bought CAT6. Obviously they were taking advantage of ignorance.

Thanks for the link, do you have one for CAT6 ?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can I use

192.168.1.400 and 192.168.1.401 as IPs and use 0.0.0.0 as subnet with these 2 machines ? If we do that, do they connect without a router in the middle just by IP and graphically ? Thanks.

You can not use 191.168.1.400 Choose any one from the following :

from 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255 — with subnet mask of 255.0.0.0
from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 - with subnet mask of 255.255.0.0

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is CAT5. I bought CAT6. Obviously they were taking advantage of ignorance.

Thanks for the link, do you have one for CAT6 ?

CAt6 cables are costly and price varies depending on the brands. Rs. 700 for 10M cat 6 is costly but not too much.

Bluerigger I can vouch for :
Robot Check
At similar price Cat 7 is also available :
*www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-Network-Ethernet-Patch-Cable/dp/B013PUMZMM/

Point is price varies from brand to brand.

OP
meetdilip

meetdilip

Computer Addict
How does CAT7 help ? When I checked the cost is around 2.4K. My link speed is 1000 Mbps which 5E meets at ₹ 250. Just wondering how CAT6 or CAT7 will help. Thanks.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
How does CAT7 help ? When I checked the cost is around 2.4K. My link speed is 1000 Mbps which 5E meets at ₹ 250. Just wondering how CAT6 or CAT7 will help. Thanks.
1. Can I use a cat 7 cable for this router?
2. *www.quora.com/How-do-I-know-if-my-...atible-with-Cat5-Cat6-or-Cat7-Ethernet-cables
3. Cat5, Cat6, Cat7: Ethernet cables explained - Dignited
Cat5, Cat6, Cat7: Which one to buy?
Other than Cat5, Cat6, Cat7 and their Augmented variants experience sequential price increases. The cables are thicker and are a headache to bend over corners. They are also overkill as current hardware doesn’t support transmission speeds exceeding 1 Gbps. Of the lot, the most cost-effective and most widely used for residential and commercial Ethernet cable is without a doubt the Cat5e. Cat5e is also the most flexible for laying around turns and corners. At transmission speeds of 1 Gbps, Cat5e makes more sense to have. The reason for this is that most routers, motherboards and Ethernet modems support up to 1 Gbps.
5. What are the differences between Cat5, Cat6, and Cat7 Ethernet cables? | PC Gamer
Also, with virtually all consumer gear, such as routers, motherboards and Ethernet cards, max out at 1000 megabits or 1 Gbps. So for the time being, and likely years to come, the typical user will not be able to take advantage of the 10 Gbps and faster speeds of the Cat6a and higher cables.
6. Demystifying Ethernet Types —Difference between Cat5e, Cat 6, and Cat7
7. Cat5 vs Cat6 vs Cat7, Everything About Ethernet Cables | Gaming CPUs
Results:
So after I tested it these were my results:
CABLE TYPE AVERAGE DOWNLOAD RATE
Cat5e 940 Mbps
Cat6 932 Mbps
Cat7 935 Mbps

check LAN speed of motherboard, router, modem and then make purchase.

Like this mobo supports 10gbits
TRX40 AORUS XTREME (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE India
LAN = Intel® 10GbE LAN chip (10 Gbit/5 Gbit/2.5 Gbit/1 Gbit/100 Mbit), supporting 2 RJ-45 ports

Last edited:
OP
meetdilip

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Thanks to all your suggestions. I now have a CAT5e cable long enough to connect between the 2 PCs. When I ping the headless, it goes fine. But when I SSH, it shows

~$ ssh mls@192.168.1.211
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.211 port 22: Connection refused

I am not sure what I wrong. On the headless, I can see the ethernet port LED light. When I use GUI, everything is fine as well.

Tried through Nautilus. There is no sign of folder I shared in headless. Any ideas to fix will be great.

PS : When I tried with a different CAT6 cable a week back, everything was fine.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks to all your suggestions. I now have a CAT5e cable long enough to connect between the 2 PCs. When I ping the headless, it goes fine. But when I SSH, it shows

I am not sure what I wrong. On the headless, I can see the ethernet port LED light. When I use GUI, everything is fine as well.

Tried through Nautilus. There is no sign of folder I shared in headless. Any ideas to fix will be great.

PS : When I tried with a different CAT6 cable a week back, everything was fine.

Are you using Raspberry ?
Did you enabled SSH ?

If you are booting from MicroSD card just create a new file and name it "SSH" with out the quotes and any extension on the root of the microsd card.

You can also enable it from GUI though from raspberry settings ( Start > Preferences > Raspberry Pi Config > Interface tab ).

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
18.04. It suits me the best.

Ohk .. got it. You are using Ubuntu

Did you go through these links :

Enable SSH on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux - LinuxConfig.org
*linuxize.com/post/how-to-enable-ssh-on-ubuntu-18-04/

Top Bottom