Confused regarding using different brands of RAM

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Hello. I'm thinking of getting Corsair value select 4 GB @1600 MHz. Currently I'm using ADATA Premier 4GB @ 1600 MHz. The motherboard is Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H and the processor is Intel Core i5 4570.

The reason to use Corsair's RAM is that Flipkart doesn't ships to Himachal and Snapdeal has Corsair's RAM at a good price and the ADATA RAM is not available on their site. So, if I use Corsair with same frequency, latency and voltage on my system, will I face any problems?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Here is some stuff to also keep in mind:

You want to make sure each stick has the same CAS latency, timings, and voltage. While you can tweak these settings in the BIOS to make the two sticks match (we briefly showed you how when we discussed overclocking your processor), I don't know why you'd want to. You'd have to spend quite a bit of time messing around with it all, and probably underclock at least one of your DIMMs in the process—and there's no guarantee it would work even then. Really, it's a lot more trouble than it's worth.

Read this: What Do I Need to Know About Compatibility When Upgrading RAM? [MENTION=18068]hellknight[/MENTION]

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
never had to set latency, timing manually for ram modules from different brands working together. Most bios sets up the timings and other values automatically. Coming to the compatibility issues well most of the time rams from different manufacturers works flawlessly but just a few days ago faced a rare situation where 2 corsair ram modules refused to work together on gigabyte motherboard but worked excellently on asrock motherboard. The same corsair module worked with kingston module on the gigabyte motherboard though :D

Top Bottom