Confused between buying Laptop or Desktop for gaming

Ahmar

Broken In
okay okay! i am sorry but i first compared it with the 7xxx series and then posted...
thanks for informing me ok! :)

OP
B

Bhargav Simha

!mp@sse
Thank you all for your sugesstions
I have decided to go with 3770k, because the intel ark site says 2600k and 2700k are at the end of life and the i7-3570 does not have hyper threading, which would help during multi-tasking large apps.
Source: ARK | Compare Intel® Products.
For mobo, confused between Asus V formula, Asus V gene and Asrock Fatal1ty. The Formula board look awesome and seems to have better heat distribution system when compared to Gene, also saw its price as 18900 at some online site yesterday (may be md computers)
Gene is great, good features and decent price, price aound 15.5k
Asrock fatality around 17k in flip cart.

The temparature and current consumption are improtant to me as I live in Hyderabad (in a pent house) an my mom keeps nagging about the electricity bill every time. Though I may not OC for 2 years, I think a board which is good and easy at OC is would be better for me.
Glad to hear your sugestions.

For graphic card I am still confused between zotac 680 and amd 7970, since anand tech says even after the driver update the 680 beats 7970 in most of the games (especially bf3 which I intend to play a lot ) and is cooler and silent. Also should I go for 660ti and wait for the release of next gen cards..
source: AnandTech - AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition Review: Battling For The Performance Crown (help me if I am not getting it right)

One more doubt regarding GC, i heard about some technology which switches between the integrated graphics and dedicated grphics, i.e uses the integrated graphics (in this case hd4000) for less graphic intense tasks and dedicated card when high end games are played. Which cards support this feature? ( coz I want the rig to use less eletricity too).

For the case, I saw COSMOS II and even though I know it too much; I cant look at any other cabinet now...its as if I am in love:-D.

I am planning to go for a wd velociraptor 1tb and go for a ssd later...
I am still researching other parts...
Please comment... :-D
@ Mod How can I change the title of the thread to a more relevant one like say "Advice for a gaming PC for 100k".

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
AMD Catalyst 12.11 Performance Analysis Review | techPowerUp see this link and see how much of a difference is there. At full HD hardly any difference well within margin of error. All I am saying is that 7970 is a better value for money and overclocks like crazy. These AMD cards are meant to be overclocked as AMD has left alot of headroom there and a much better value for money at the moment. Rest is your wish both are great cards but I will prefer an AMD card at the moment just because of the performance they offer at the price they are being sold. BTW if I am not mistaken the link you have given is old? I was talking about catalyst 12.11 Beta drivers and it looks like in the review that you have mentioned they are using 12.7. Have a look at the link I have mentioned. As long as temps are well within limit it doesnt matter if 1 card goes to 65 and the other goes to 70. Alot depends on the exact card you are buying and what kind of cooler is on that card.

As for motherboard I won't advice you to go for a 17k ASRock motherboard. Better to pay 1-2k more and go for an ASUS maximus V formula. If that is overshooting your budget then maximus V gene. both are excellent overclockers so don't worry about that. If mATX form factor is not a problem then go for maximus V gene.

Cabinet i won't comment much. Just take whatever is to your liking and read reviews. Or else wait for other members to comment.

gameranand

Living to Play
Thank you all for your sugesstions
I have decided to go with 3770k, because the intel ark site says 2600k and 2700k are at the end of life and the i7-3570 does not have hyper threading, which would help during multi-tasking large apps.
Source: ARK | Compare Intel® Products.

Good Decision. :)
For mobo, confused between Asus V formula, Asus V gene and Asrock Fatal1ty. The Formula board look awesome and seems to have better heat distribution system when compared to Gene, also saw its price as 18900 at some online site yesterday (may be md computers)
Gene is great, good features and decent price, price aound 15.5k
Asrock fatality around 17k in flip cart.

The temparature and current consumption are improtant to me as I live in Hyderabad (in a pent house) an my mom keeps nagging about the electricity bill every time. Though I may not OC for 2 years, I think a board which is good and easy at OC is would be better for me.
Glad to hear your sugestions.

I would vote for Asus V Gene, the price MD are showing is wrong they will sell it for around 21.5K as I have already talked to them about that. The least price you can get for Maximus V Formula is from Delta at 20.2K if they ship at your place. I am getting at 20.7K as they don't ship at my address.
For graphic card I am still confused between zotac 680 and amd 7970, since anand tech says even after the driver update the 680 beats 7970 in most of the games (especially bf3 which I intend to play a lot ) and is cooler and silent. Also should I go for 660ti and wait for the release of next gen cards..
source: AnandTech - AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition Review: Battling For The Performance Crown (help me if I am not getting it right)

The link you gave is before 12.11 drivers which increased the performance of 7xxx series GPUs by 7-12%. 7970 got around 7-8% performance gain so after that gain it easily beats 680.

One more doubt regarding GC, i heard about some technology which switches between the integrated graphics and dedicated grphics, i.e uses the integrated graphics (in this case hd4000) for less graphic intense tasks and dedicated card when high end games are played. Which cards support this feature? ( coz I want the rig to use less eletricity too).

For the case, I saw COSMOS II and even though I know it too much; I cant look at any other cabinet now...its as if I am in love:-D.

Its not the cards that support but its a Motherboard dependent feature and I guess Gene has that feature. Not sure though and the technology is called Lucid.
As for Cabinet, also look at some other options as it will shoot your budget and TBH its not worth it specially in that rig of yours. :|

I am planning to go for a wd velociraptor 1tb and go for a ssd later...
I am still researching other parts...
Please comment... :-D
Better to get SSD+ WD Green Edition.
@ Mod How can I change the title of the thread to a more relevant one like say "Advice for a gaming PC for 100k".
PM any mod and they can do it. Normal members don't have the permission to do that. :)

OP
B

Bhargav Simha

!mp@sse
@ Gameranand and rohit32407 Thank you for the info...I should learn to read properly :-D

Also I agree that the Cabby is too pricey and not for my config... but god its so sexy :twisted: ; I was even thinking of taking a loan to by it :-D

@ anand can you suggest names of any mods ?

Thnk you agin for the inputs..

gameranand

Living to Play
Also I agree that the Cabby is too pricey and not for my config... but god its so sexy :twisted: ; I was even thinking of taking a loan to by it :-D

@ anand can you suggest names of any mods ?
1. Well if you love that cabby that much then I guess you can go for it but still I'll suggest you to go through many models and their looks before deciding on it.
2. LOL anyone who's name is written in Green is a supermod like, ico, skud, cilus, asingh, hsr, anorian, metalheadgautam, vamsi krishna and many more. Contact any who is online right now and they'll do it for you. :)

Top Bottom