OP
L

little

Journeyman
according to that article,for lan-to-lan the dhcp server of secondary router must be disabled.in lan-to-wan setup what connection type did you selected in w898 settings.try connection type as dynamic ip as well as static ip(192.168.1.100,outside of dhcp range of beetel).

W8968 has three operational modes, ADSL modem; 3G dongle-router mode and Wireless Router mode. i selected wireless router mode and then it gave me choice of dynamic / static IP. Initially I selected dynamic IP but it fails to pick up external IP from Beetel even after a complete power cycle.
Why my TP-LINK router can not get WAN parameters from my modem? - Welcome to TP-LINK

Since I have a static IP broadband connection, i manually entered WAN parameters in WAN setings on W8968.
Why my TP-LINK Router gets a WAN IP from the modem but no internet access? - Welcome to TP-LINK
I tired changing the DNS but it didn't help.

Here's an emulator if you want to have a look. W8968 v2.0
*www.tp-link.com/resources/simulator/TD-W8968_V2/index.htm

try connection type as dynamic ip as well as static ip(192.168.1.100,outside of dhcp range of beetel).

Router local IP (192.168.x.x) and WAN parameter settings (dynamic and static IP) aren't two different things..

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I did (it might help in finding my mistake)

1. noted down my static external IP, gateway and DNS from web interface of beetel.
2. Connected PC to W8968 via ethernet, factory reset it, changed operation mode to Wireless Router, reboot.
3. Selected Static IP in WAN settings and filled in the valued that I noted in step 1.
4. Opened LAN settings -> changed router IP to 192.168.4.1 -> changed DHCP server to 192.168.4.1 and range to 192.168.4.101-200
5. Changed WiFi settings (SSID, Security, etc.)
6. Turned it off. -> connected its wan to beetel's lan. -> turned everything off and then did power cycle.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
first of all by default no home connection user in india gets static external ip,you have to specifically ask for it & you may have to pay extra for this.second,once you connect wan port to lan port of beetel there is no involvement of external ip anywhere,it will get an internal ip assigned by beetel unless beetel modem is set in bridge mode.you need to see what ip address wan port of w8968 is getting in different situations.

OP
L

little

Journeyman
we are paying an annual fee for static external IP.
beetel isn't in bridge mode. Imgur

- - - Updated - - -

if using WAN port on a ROUTER, in some cases it is required to enter static IP settings in Internet/WAN settings in router.
have a look here. (it is not modem configuration, it is router configuration)

- - - Updated - - -

as you said, most of the connections don't have a static IP hence all the routers have a default setting that it will automatically pick up public IP from the modem after a power cycle. (it doesn't matter if it is static public IP or dynamic public IP, it will pick up what modem has)

In my case it wasn't automatically picking up public IP from my modem (some TP-Link routers fail to get it automatically from modem) and i already had static public IP so I manually entered it in W8968 router like this. it would be a problem if i had dynamic public IP because then my router MUST automatically get public IP from my modem.
edit : wait, i think this step is where something is wrong. all routers automatically get public ip from modem but mine didn't.

oh god, it is getting complicated.. but thanks to whitestar, i got to learn a ton of new things which is nice..

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
what happens when connection type is selected as static & ip is set as 192.168.1.100 while connecting wan-lan port & lan-lan port(w898 dhcp server 192.168.4.101-200,beetel dhcp 192.168.11-80)?

OP
L

little

Journeyman
which connection type is static? are you saying that DHCP on my beetel should assign a static Internal IP to router and that IP is 192.168.1.100? if this is what you are saying, how should i set this? change router IP to 192.168.1.100 in LAN settings in W8968?

initially I didnt know that in lan-wan connections the dhcp of second router must be in another segment. so I configured it as follows -
beetel 192.168.1.1 range 192.168.1.11-80
w8968 192.167.1.2 range 192.168.1.100-199
it didnt work

i dont know but i have a strong feeling that there is some basic mistake in that settings which determines how router gets internet access, i.e, WAN / Internet parameters on W8968

maybe this will clear things up a bit.

edit: oh, i get it, i should have used dynamic IP in the second image above. going to check it, will report back asap.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
never set same ip range segment for 2 different ip assigning devices in a network no matter what the dhcp settings are.start with changing ip segment of w8968 in lan-wan connection mode to see if it works.

by static ip i meant that if you assign an ip outside of beetel dhcp range to w8968(in connection tpe settings) then it is effectively static.

OP
L

little

Journeyman
Finally got it working. it was a blunder on my side. dhcp and other comparatively complex settings were fine but while configuring WAN settings on W8968 i selected static IP and filled in my static public IP settings there. static public IP settings are meant only the first / main device in the network. from there internal IP starts but I didnt think about this earlier :duh2:

- - - Updated - - -

Settings that worked for me -

• Beetel 192.168.1.1; 192.168.1.11-80
  • TP-Link 192.168.2.1; 192.168.2.101-200
    WAN Settings - Dynamically get an Internal IP from Beetel. ( earlier I set it to static and filled in my airtel static IP settings, this was the mistake)
Thanks a lot [MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION], really appreciate your help, without your help i couldn't have possibly found the fault.
truly speaking you are the backbone of networking forum here. :)

Last edited:
A

amit.tiger12

okay,... great to see it worked... I told there will be any minor mistake and you can't find it out... :) best of luck...
next time... and see settings carefully goto every detail... it will help you... :)
I was out of town... Otherwise I would have helped you through Remote control... no worry... :)

Top Bottom