Configuration Advice needed for Evaluation OS/Database/Software

unniks

Right off the assembly line
Hi

I want to upgrade my existing computer (AMD-AM2/4GB 64bit OS) with a new one.
Basically this new computer will be used to learn/evaluate new Databases/IDEs/Softwares as current one crawls on its knees.

Number of Partitions: 2 (Windows and *nix)
Number of Active OS running at same time: 2+ (Host OS and atleast 1 OS in VM)

All the evaluation/experiments will be done in VMs so that the Host OS needed not be rebuild again and again. Only the VMs needed to be rebuilt.
Typically in VM (in Linux 64bit as host) the following software will be evaluated (in the near future)
Database: SQL Server 2014 - Evaluation Version
IDE: Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate - Evaluation Version
The VM will be rebuilt quite often to evaluate others like Oracle/db2....

Configuration
CPU: i5, 4440 or i7, 4770
Motherboard: Intel DH87MC 4th Generation Motherboard
RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 8 GB or 16GB max
Cabinet: ??
SMPS: Corsair VS550 550 Watt PSU
HDD: 1TB (Seagate Baracuda)
Monitor: Any (Dell S2420L 24" Full HD LED Monitor)

Any suggestions are welcome. Approximate price will be great.

Thanks and Regards,
Unni

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
answer these *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-compon...new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html

OP
U

unniks

Right off the assembly line
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Evaluation of Development tools like Visual Studio, Databases like SQL Server (in VMs)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Around 60K

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:
a. Windows 8.1 x64 Pro and Linux x64 (as Host OS)
b. Windows 2012 Server or any new OS like Solaris or any flavour of *nix (in Virtual Machine)

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1TB or above

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes, Any 24" Monitor Supporting 1920x1080. Will compromise on Screen Size but not on resolution based on budget. Around 12K for monitor is the budget.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: This will be a new Assembled Computer

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: This month or max by June.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Assembler will do it.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Trivandrum, Kerala. Buying locally (basically will give my configuration and let them assemble it for me)

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: As all the software that are being planned to evaluate needs
Windows 2012 Server - 8GB of RAM
Visual Studio 2013 - 2GB of RAM (A processor that supports Second Level Address Translation (SLAT))
SQL Server : 4GB of RAM
All the above will be installed in Virtual Machine.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230 v3 -17000,
Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-D3H -5500,
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz -5800,
Cabinet: Antec X1 -2100,
SMPS: Corsair VS550 -3200,
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3800,
Monitor: Dell S2420L 24" LED -13000,
Sapphire R7 250 1GB -7300,
ODD: Asus 24B5ST DVD-RW -1100,
KB Combo: Logitech MK200 -700.
TOTAL -59,500.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
@op I'll give you a trick save the vmx image in a different location after install of a VM. Then delete the image when necessary and copy the saved image to vmware work folder and you have a new installation thus saving you ~15mins+ hassles of a new vm install time.

^ this is supported on VMWare 6.x and above

For optimal performance of the VMs get seperate physical discs for each VM(for mechanical HDDs) ignore if you plan to use SSD in near future for the VMs.

- - - Updated - - -

Get 16GB Ram.

and this atleast

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
remember in order to use the virtualisation for directed I/O(vt-d), you must get a compatible motherboard. only a handful of motherboards support this features. so choose the motherboard accordingly.see intel DB85FL(doesn't support v pro) or intel DQ87PG. see here if it is any benificiable to you.*developer.nvidia.com/nsight-visual-studio-edition-supported-gpus-full-list. [MENTION=105611]bavusani[/MENTION], stop suggesting antec x1 and corsair vs 550. there are better alternatives available.
@op choose cooler master elite 311 and antec vp550p.
For the display ,try AOC i2369vm. it is ips whereas the suggested dell in TN panel. IPS panel has superior visual quality.

- - - Updated - - -

*www.theitdepot.com/details-Intel+DQ87PG+32GB+DDR3+Motherboard_P19862.html

Top Bottom