Config for animation and vfx needs

sntshkmr60

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?
Ans: Mainly I'm buying this PC for my academic use (I'm a 'multimedia' student). The peak applications I'll be using are Autodesk Maya and Autodesk 3Ds Max. Other than that I'll also be running Adobe After Effects and Photoshop. And a less resource hungry program Adobe Lightroom.

2. What is your overall budget?
Ans: 40K? Maybe I can spend 5K more but not more than that.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No! It's messy I think. :3

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Obviously I'll be running 64-bit version of Windows. (8 or 7)

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 500GB is enough!

6. Do you want to buy a monitor?
Ans: See, the minimum requirements of Maya and Photoshop is 1280x800. Anything above that in ratio will be fine. And I have no idea of physical size. Suggest the better.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I don't need speakers for now. And keyboard and mouse too. Also I don't feel any use of DVD/CD drive.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Between 2-3 months.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I often keep opening my cabinet for cleaning each part time to time.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Delhi, I can shop either way.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Please don't include operating system! I already have that. And pay attention to the graphics card (1GB), just because Autodesk is choosy in terms of GC I guess.

Once again, my main needs are:
64-bit multicore processor (2GHz or faster)
8GB RAM (1 stick)
1 GB Graphics (Autodesk Compatible)

Last edited:

amjath

Human Spambot
AMD FX 8320 - 9,810
CPU Cooler - Stock
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P - 5,800
Corsair Vengeance 4 GB 1600 MHz - 2,900
Nvidia Quadro 600 - 12000
Antec VP550P - 3,660
Cabinet any without PSU - ~1k
WD Blue 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD - 3,100
Dell S2240L - 8,400

Last edited:
OP
S

sntshkmr60

Broken In
AMD FX 8320 - 9,810
CPU Cooler - Stock
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P - 5,800
Corsair Vengeance 4 GB 1600 MHz - 2,900
Nvidia Quadro 600 - 12000
Antec VP550P - 3,660
Cabinet any without PSU - ~1k
WD Blue 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD - 3,100
Dell S2240L - 8,400

Is 4 GB of RAM enough? I don't think so.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
No sense in opening a thread 2-3 months before you are buying? You better open a thread a week or two before buying. New hardware may launch.

OP
S

sntshkmr60

Broken In
Guys, here I want to update my question, since it has been 3 months to the original question and I HAVE ALSO UPDATED THE BUDGET. I will lately buy desktop in the end of the Feb.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?
Ans: I'm doing BSc in Animation, so the industry software should run. That for modeling, rendering etc. In short, all the Autodesk and Adobe programs.

Ans: 45K to 50K

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Never.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: 8.1

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1TB 7200 RPM

6. Do you want to buy a monitor?
Ans: Yes

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Optical Drive

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within a month

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I can do. Don't know why this question is important :/

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Delhi, I can shop either way.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: It MUST handle my course.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
AMD FX 8320 - 10k
msi 990fxa gd65 - 8.8k or Asus m5a99x evo r2.0 - 11k
Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4 GB -5.6k /kingston hyperx or gskill ripjawsx
gtx 750 ti - 11k or Nvidia Quadro 600 - 12k
WD Blue 500 GB - 3.1k
Antec VP550P - 3.5k
cooler master elite 311-2.3k
Dell S2240L - 8k

get a cpu cooler later, and overclock your cpu. that would fasten the rendering speed.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Why so costly motherboard? :/ Wouldn't sub 6k work?

the suggested cpu is an 8 core power hungry one. I suggested that mobo considering the fact that you can overclock your cpu to ,say, 4.5ghz with a capable cooler which will fasten your rendering works. by overclocking that cpu (say over 4.5ghz) on sub 6k mobo may both fry your mobo and cpu.

singh_dd93

Journeyman
the suggested cpu is an 8 core power hungry one. I suggested that mobo considering the fact that you can overclock your cpu to ,say, 4.5ghz with a capable cooler which will fasten your rendering works. by overclocking that cpu (say over 4.5ghz) on sub 6k mobo may both fry your mobo and cpu.

+1 Dont even try OC with 970A Motherboard.

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi sntshkmr60,
Why so costly motherboard? :/ Wouldn't sub 6k work?
I agree with singh_dd93 and rijinpk1. As per your need, I‘d suggest you to go with the latest MOBO because the latest version of MOBO will help you for future proof rig.

Example: in the future you want to add-on a GPU card or other cards for performance, instead of buying a new MOBO or replacing a totally new GPU.

Is it good to buy single 8 GB RAM stick? And later when needed add 8 more?

if you run 2 RAM sticks, you will be running memory in dual channel which will be a greater increase in performance than running a single stick in single channel.

Ans: I'm doing BSc in Animation, so the industry software should run. That for modeling, rendering etc. In short, all the Autodesk and Adobe programs.
Ans: 45K to 50K

Here are some options for you.
AMD FX 8320 or 8350, based on your budget.
Gigabyte GA990FXA.
Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB).
WD Blue 1TB.
GTX 750 ti or Quadro 600, based on your budget.

In future, just add a good casing for PC and combine with a liquid cooling system on it.

If you absolutely don't want to game than go for a professional card

And I'd recommend amd 8320 too

Didn't msi 990fxa gd65 version has "not so good" reviews? I think istead he should go for Asus m5a97evo it's a good quality board, and overclocks well too

Last edited:
Top Bottom