Computers restarts when i turn my monitor on during voltage fluctuation

raja1993

Right off the assembly line
Hi guys, i got a problem
I bought an apc 700 va ups yesterday since my old iball ups battery went kaput.Since i am running many applications i usually switch off my monitor.So today during suddenly voltage problem, ups went into battery mode, so i tried to switch on the monitor to check the voltage in the powerchute software but the pc restarted as soon as i switched on the monitor.What could be the problem? I got a zebronic 450w psu, no graphics card.This problem doesn't occur when the monitor is turned on, so i dont think it could be the psu.And one more question, during the night after 10 pm, my hse voltage drops below 180 and the ups goes into battery mode, So does apc ups could only support upto 180volts ?
And another question, sometimes my keyboard stop responding for a few seconds, i got a zebronics keyboard, could it be keyboard problem?

Mirhawk

Broken In
From what You stated, it seems to be an issue with the ups. When You power on a device while other device is already powered on using the ups, it seems to fluctuate. Try using two different devices on the ups and try what You did with the PC. Power up both at start, turn of one of the devices, and then turn it on again. If the first device does turn on/off, this would at least rule out that there is an issue with Your PC. Can't comment about the UPS going into battery mode, and I'm pretty sure keyboard is not the issue.

OP
R

raja1993

Guys i think i found the culprit my pc restarts when the core temperatures goes above 105 c.Is there any work around this?

Guys i think i found the culprit my pc restarts when the core temperatures goes above 105 c.Is there any work around this?
Post a screenshot of any temperature monitoring utility (HWinfo for eg.) while the pc is at
a) load
b) ideal

Also post information about the fan setup you have any post a pic of interior of your cabinet.

OP
R

raja1993

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/hardware-q/10601d1368948066-computers-restarts-when-i-turn-my-monitor-during-voltage-fluctuation-1.png
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/hardware-q/10602d1368948129-computers-restarts-when-i-turn-my-monitor-during-voltage-fluctuation-dsc_0130.jpg*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/hardware-q/10603d1368948201-computers-restarts-when-i-turn-my-monitor-during-voltage-fluctuation-dsc_0131.jpg
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/hardware-q/10604d1368948204-computers-restarts-when-i-turn-my-monitor-during-voltage-fluctuation-untitled.png

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC_0130.jpg
    DSC_0130.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_0131.jpg
    DSC_0131.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if your monitor is CRT(old bulky one) then nothing is wrong because turning on a CRT monitor from off state requires a large "startup current" which your 700VA UPS or for that matter any UPS below 1KVA can not deliver.the only solution to this problem is that instead of turning off the monitor by pressing the switch put it in standby mode(monitor off option in windows power settings) where it consumes very less power.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
No it is not.. 103C is VERY dangerous for an i3 processor..
Reseat your heatsink by applying some thermal compound.. if it stil doesnt solve your problem, buy new heatsink

OP
R

raja1993

Ok guys i removed both heatsink and processor and applied tooth paste and now the temp is below 50 C, thanks every one

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Ok guys i removed both heatsink and processor and applied tooth paste and now the temp is below 50 C, thanks every one

Dude.. do u seriously mind buying a thermal paste instead of using a toothpaste for the purpose?? wow
oh i know ppl do this as an alternative, but why should someone even try this when all you have to do is buy a thermal paste for ~500 bucks??

OP
R

raja1993

Dude.. do u seriously mind buying a thermal paste instead of using a toothpaste for the purpose?? wow
oh i know ppl do this as an alternative, but why should someone even try this when all you have to do is buy a thermal paste for ~500 bucks??

Its just a temporary solution since i don't have any pc shops near by, if the temps goes above 70 i will buy thermal paste for sure.Btw which is the best thermal paste, and is the intel fan enough to provide the required cooling for my i3 processor?

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Artic silver 5 is a good TIM.

Buy it online from primeabgb or deltapage.com etc..

Intel fans are just ok for a non-OCed cpu. But if the coupling screws are loose already (yes, they damage pretty quickly if u take them out and put it back a couple of times), there isnt a point to use them anymore and its better to buy a after market cooler like CM 212 Plus/evo.

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
if your monitor is CRT(old bulky one) then nothing is wrong because turning on a CRT monitor from off state requires a large "startup current" which your 700VA UPS or for that matter any UPS below 1KVA can not deliver.the only solution to this problem is that instead of turning off the monitor by pressing the switch put it in standby mode(monitor off option in windows power settings) where it consumes very less power.

+1. My old crt 15" never turn on even on inverter. It always reboots the pc. It's not temp related for sure. (Now I shifted to LCD though)

Top Bottom