Computer turns on, then off then boots normally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajay Joshi

Broken In
Hello,
whenever i turn on my computer it does a strange "ritual"
i push the power switch, all fans, LED's and Hardware turn on, then it turns OFF, after 1-2 seconds, it boots normally. This start from the day i upgraded My PC to current specs

My Specs
Windows 10 64bit
Intel core i3 8th gen
8GB Corsair Vengeance single stick
500 GB HD
Gigabyte B360M D3H motherboard
Gigabyte 1050ti GPU
Corsair VS 630w PSU

Does anyone know why does this happen?

Thanks

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Probably your psu is somehow not able to send a "power good" signal the 1st time.To confirm this check with some other psu.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Try the following
1. Try another PSU. You can borrow one from a friend/relative or may be a nearby Computer repair shop
2. If using any extension box, try plugging the PSU to direct wall outlet
3. If using any overclock settings, disable them and set BIOS to optimized defaults
4. Flash the BIOS to any latest version if available
5. Run with just board,CPU with heatsink fan and PSU. That's it. No other components. If behavior does not repeat, possibly some component could be drawing momentarily more power than desired. Add components one by one to isolate the issue

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Apparently, I did not find it explicitly stated in the above specs. Hence I just left it to the user to decide if applicable.

dexterz

Journeyman
do you have the PC connected to a UPS? I faced this issue with one of my motherboard, it went through the same ritual every time it was cold started. It was fixed after I updated the BIOS to the latest version. Other option was to keep the UPS turned on, in that case it didnt go through this false boot cycle.

OP
A

Ajay Joshi

Broken In
Tnx all for your valuable time
I like to ans some que here
1- PSU I upgrade PSU from550w to 400w(recommended by seller) then to 650w (the same issue was with 550w and 400w also, PC run on 400w PSU for 1 month with the same problem then stop working completely then i upgraded it to 650w)
2- UPS yes i am using 600VA ups which was supported by inverter
3- BIOS yes updated
4- Overclocked NO

As u can c i have used 3 PSU so i don,t think its a PSU problem. What is yours thought about MB is short with cabinet?
NOTE- Please note that this start happening after i Upgraded my hardware

Regards

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just take out the mobo & place it on some non-conducting surface(newspaper on floor seems a good option) & then try starting pc.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
@Ajay Joshi

Please check with my point # 5 above, I understand it’s time consuming. When I say only mobo CPU and heatsink fan, I mean only those 2 components and nothing else, not even UPS or cabinet or Keyboard / mouse. You are not checking if it POSTs or not, just if power is stable or not and start from there.

It could be that the digital logic circuit on motherboard that interfaces with PSU might have developed some issue. Please try to put the system in S3 Standby power saving Mode and check how it behaves after you resume from Standby. Same goes with Hibernation setting. This logic circuit on board is powered by 3V CMOS battery when system is completely off. Also just try changing the CMOS battery, though there may not be any symptoms that it's dying.

Last edited:
OP
A

Ajay Joshi

Broken In
With only mobo CPU and heat sink fan its the same condition, I had already checked my mobo with its authorized service center, now i have to try whitestar_99 method for mobo short with cabinet or not
and what is POST
ONE MORE THING WHEN I RESTAR RUNNING PC FOR AND UPDATE TO APPLY OR BY RESTART COMMAND IT START NORMALY IN 1ST TIME
Regards

Last edited:

dexterz

Journeyman
With only mobo CPU and heat sink fan its the same condition, I had already checked my mobo with its authorized service center, now i have to try whitestar_99 method for mobo short with cabinet or not
and what is POST
ONE MORE THING WHEN I RESTAR RUNNING PC FOR AND UPDATE TO APPLY OR BY RESTART COMMAND IT START NORMALY IN 1ST TIME
Regards
POST (Power On Self Test) is when your PC runs through its boot sequence to check if necessary devices are connected and working fine.

looks like a double post on cold start. do you switch off UPS when not in use? can you try Start PC--> Shutdown-->Start PC again. let me know if it does the double start during the 2nd Startup

OP
A

Ajay Joshi

Broken In
Yes I try Start PC--> Shutdown-->Start PC again without switching UPS OFF and is start normally in 1 go.
Yes I switch OFF UPS when PC not in use
What does this means?
And how to do POST should i google it?

Regards

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
POST happens automatically when you turn on your PC. Literally the first thing the BIOS does.

Gollum

Collector
Hello,
whenever i turn on my computer it does a strange "ritual"
i push the power switch, all fans, LED's and Hardware turn on, then it turns OFF, after 1-2 seconds, it boots normally. This start from the day i upgraded My PC to current specs

My Specs
Windows 10 64bit
Intel core i3 8th gen
8GB Corsair Vengeance single stick
500 GB HD
Gigabyte B360M D3H motherboard
Gigabyte 1050ti GPU
Corsair VS 630w PSU

Does anyone know why does this happen?

Thanks
Some boards are designed to dual post or tri post.
Yes, it sounds strange but I recently learnt this about Asus overclockable gamig boards.
I believe this may be the case with your systemboard too. My old gen Intel 864GBF board used to do the same.
This wont cause a problem.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^That is not a normal behaviour & it certainly is not a "feature".
Double boot - Wikipedia
Changing some parameters in the BIOS will cause this issue, even for items as simple as initializing the current CPU and memory clocks. At such times, a reboot will be required. If the computer did not have any power and had just been plugged in, the same parameters would need to be implemented again, and since these parameters require a reboot, the computer will do a quick reset to implement the parameters that are set in the BIOS. Even after the computer is turned off, these parameters will not need to be re-entered for as long as the power supply is still receiving power.

In a double boot, the PC will power on for about two seconds, off for about a second, turn back on, display the POST screen, and then continue to boot up normally.

dexterz

Journeyman
Yes I try Start PC--> Shutdown-->Start PC again without switching UPS OFF and is start normally in 1 go.
Yes I switch OFF UPS when PC not in use
What does this means?
And how to do POST should i google it?

Regards
did you contact your Motherboard manufacturer's tech support? I resolved this issue with my Asrock Z77 board by contacting their tech support and getting a beta version of their BIOS to update. Once I updated with the beta file the double boot got resolved.

OP
A

Ajay Joshi

Broken In
did you contact your Motherboard manufacturer's tech support? I resolved this issue with my Asrock Z77 board by contacting their tech support and getting a beta version of their BIOS to update. Once I updated with the beta file the double boot got resolved.
Yes i personally went to customer support and get my mobo checked, I don't know whether they updated the BIOS or not but they say all ok with board
Should i update BIOS through GIGABYTE app center or you recommend any other way

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes i personally went to customer support and get my mobo checked, I don't know whether they updated the BIOS or not but they say all ok with board
Should i update BIOS through GIGABYTE app center or you recommend any other way
Don't update bios unless it is a last resort,if you have confirmed that it is not mobo shorting within cabinet(newspaper method I earlier mentioned) then leave it.Just keep your UPS on while pc is off(won't consume any noticeable power).

OP
A

Ajay Joshi

Broken In
Don't update bios unless it is a last resort,if you have confirmed that it is not mobo shorting within cabinet(newspaper method I earlier mentioned) then leave it.Just keep your UPS on while pc is off(won't consume any noticeable power).
Thanks to all of you for your valuable inputs.
only one thing bother me can it damage my PCU like it does last time with 550W and 400W or the reason for PSU damage may differ from this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom