Computer turns on and off at startup repeatedly

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
it has been the 4th day with the frontech psu and the system is yet to exhibit any system restarts or power cycling issues.

So for all intents and purposes it seems the psu might have been faulty.

Should i now send an email to corsair india's tech support with a description of the problem and request them to replace the psu?

one thing that concerns me a bit is that the mobo is running without gpu-is it possible that the mobo maybe faulty but without gpu it exhibits no issues-but if i put the gpu back in then this problem might begin again?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
mobo+corsair psu+no graphics card=issue
mobo+frontech psu+no graphics card=no issue
From above it can be seen that corsair psu definitely has some role in the issue.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
one thing that concerns me a bit is that the mobo is running without gpu-is it possible that the mobo maybe faulty but without gpu it exhibits no issues-but if i put the gpu back in then this problem might begin again?

Well you could try testing the Corsair PSU without the GPU for a couple of days. If it suffers problems then PSU is at fault.

moltenskull

Journeyman
Hi, I did not read the complete thread thoroughly tbh, but looking at the problem, it seems similar to a problem I had with my Corsair PSU as well. (I was using a Corsair TX 850V2). I was also facing the exact scenario and since my PSU was out of warranty , I had to buy a new PSU (Corsair). Got it replaced at Cost 2 Cost , Nehru Place and did not face this particular problem again. (Posted a thread about a different problem which occurred after that,which I forgot to update finally- The GPU was bad and had to be replaced in that case . Will update that thread as well.)

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
What issue did you face that prompted you to replace your psu? Was it restarting unexpectedly every now and then like mine?

And did your psu and gpu go bad at the same time, or did the gpu issue start once you replaced the faulty psu?

How old was your corsair psu when it started exhibiting this behavior ?

moltenskull

Journeyman
My PSU and GPU were purchased at the same time (Around 2013- GPU had been RMA-ed once in 2014,but I am not sure about the exact year of GPU RMA.). As far as I remember about the PSU issue. the sequence of events were:

1) My GPU started giving Memory errors in HWinfo but I ignored them for a while since it was , at that time , not giving slower framerates for the games I was playing.
2) Then,my PC would not boot if I tried to turn it on after ,say overnight,but after a couple of tries,it booted up and after that it used to boot up normally within the day.
3) One day, the PC would not give any display.The fans would spin and lights would light up ,but before it could boot to windows, it shut down. After that, it refused to boot.That's when I took it took to Nehru Place for checking and the engineer there confirmed it was the PSU (After checking with a spare PSU). After replacing the PSU ,the PC worked okay for some time but then the issue I highlighted in my thread (Desktop boots without display or turns off occasionally.) cropped up.Please keep in mind I had been using an RMAed GPU for close to 4-5 years.
4)In around June this year,my RMAed GPU finally died with RSOD and I had to replace it.

So,roughly the GPU (June 2019) died after a year after the PSU (August 2018) was changed.

Also, yes, the system would restart unexpectedly in the middle of some games and around that time, the PSU was already pushing 4+ years.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
^thanks for your inputs,did you check whether your psu was producing any weird ,out of spec voltages on any rail when this problem occurred(the issue with the psu,i mean)?Which psu did you buy as its replacement?

i am thinking of writing to corsair and asking them to replace the psu-does any here have any idea as to how much time corsair usually takes to replace a faulty psu?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Corsair RMA is considered good in India but your psu model TX550M has not been in stock at major shopping sites for quite a few months now so it may take longer than usual(especially if corsair decide to send this model from abroad).

moltenskull

Journeyman
^thanks for your inputs,did you check whether your psu was producing any weird ,out of spec voltages on any rail when this problem occurred(the issue with the psu,i mean)?Which psu did you buy as its replacement?

i am thinking of writing to corsair and asking them to replace the psu-does any here have any idea as to how much time corsair usually takes to replace a faulty psu?

You're welcome.No,tbh, I did not check voltages (I couldn't boot up my PC). I bought the modular version of the same PSU (TX 850M) since after all, it had served me well for close to 6 years.You may ask why I did not claim warranty since for Gold rated TX Series PSUs (same for TX 550M) it is 7 years (*www.corsair.com/ww/en/warranty),it's because I had misplaced the original invoice long ago ,couldn't remember which site I had ordered it from (Flipkart or Snapdeal) and for some reason, my orders history for Flipkart at least was truncated beyond 2013(most probably bought it in 2012.).

They should do it quick enough if they see there is obvious defect. One of the pipes on my H80i was cracked with use and when they saw it,they replaced it on the very same day that I took it to the service centre.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
In my case the problem isn't that obvious-the power cycling issue and system restarting happens often but not always.I hope if they are unable to somehow replicate the problem on their test machines,they wont return the psu stating that its ok.

That makes me wonder-do they test the returned units at all for problems before issuing a replacement?

moltenskull

Journeyman
You could try mailing them,after all, your PSU is still in warranty and if you have the invoice, the least they can do is test it. You should also attach screenshots highlighting the incorrect/absent voltage readings. Best of all, if you can take it personally to a service centre. Even if they don't have testing equipment themselves,you could request them to get it tested at a shop known to them which has the proper equipment.(This has happened with me in Nehru Place). By the way, Corsair warranty is by Kaizen inforserve (Contact US | Kaizen) . Try calling them beforehand , if you plan to go (The kaizen website has phone numbers too).

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
I brief albeit late update on the situation, i went to corsair 's rma center at kolkata and submitted my psu-they said they would replace it but unfortunately its currently out of stock-so they have asked me to wait for a couple of days.

If it was available with them, they might have replaced it on the spot.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
My experience with Corsair PSU RMA - Once took 21 days ( GS600 ) and once only 7 days ( VS450 ).

BTW, This could be the PSU but I do remember facing such weird issue because of faulty cabinet power on switch - now how weird was that ?!

Top Bottom