computer science 1st yr - C++ or Java ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hypernova

Right off the assembly line
I am doing B.Tech in computer science and I am in the 1st year (I have almost completed 1st year)

I want to learn a language in the forthcoming summer break (2 months) between the first year and second year, and am quite confused if I should go for C++ or Java.
I have no previous experience of C++ (I did not have comp sci in school), but I have studied C in the first year.
I have asked a few people and most of them tell me that trying to learn java is no good if I already dont know C++, because then I will not know what the concept of "classes" is, and therefore will not be able to understand Java properly.

In a nutshell, my questions are-
1. Should I learn Java or C++ ?
2. Should I join a proper institute or buy books and do java/c++ at home?? (can i do either at home myself)

I want to learn java, but am confused because i dont know if i can understand it directly without learning C++.....also, which would be a good institute in Delhi...?(NIIT or CMC or Aptech ??)

Crazykiller

Banned
i think you should go for Java as it is the latest and in demand language.
Don't join any institute as it is actually useless.

I am a XI class student but know this becuase my elder brother is giving 3rd year exams in Comp. Engineering.

Disc_Junkie

Call me D_J!
As for me, I have learnt Java in Class X as per our syllabus for Computer Science. Later in 10+2, it helped me to grasp the concepts of C++ very easily as both of them follow Object Oriented Programming.

Therefore both are good to learn, but I personally prefer Java.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Tell you what... Go for Python. Python is a language which will not only give you a good grasp in programming but will also teach you about Object Oriented Programming.
As for Java Vs. C++, I think it would be Java. But that is my gut feeling.
And DONT join ANY institute.

As for me, I have learnt Java in Class X as per our syllabus for Computer Science
Wow! Lucky mate. :p

Since you know C, C++ will be easier to study at collage. So I suggest Java. And btw, C++ feels like it lies just between C and Java as far as complexity is concerned.

Forget about Python and such languages unless you don't care if it benifits you at collage. Python is a beautiful language but not taught at collage so don't study it till you are through with your academics first.

Disc_Junkie

Call me D_J!
Wow! Lucky mate. :p

It is there in ICSE syllabus and a complete boon. In Class XI, I have learnt CSc. from the Class X book as all were same in the Class XI except for the language names, same syllabus and topics. But in XII it changed somewhat!! I have answered the whole paper this year in my XII boards(many concepts and answers like Constructors & Destructors, Function Overloading etc gathered from Class X book). Thinking of positive results!!

I don't think CBSE pays much attention in Computers till Class X. Very pitiful!!!

@Crazy Killer: SUPW was there in ICSE syllabus too. What not I had to do, sewing scarfs, making mufflers out of wool, making baskets with chips packets and straw, making photo stand with silvered mirror by scratching out the silver etc. It was really very boring!!!:-(

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Forget about Python and such languages unless you don't care if it benifits you at collage. Python is a beautiful language but not taught at collage so don't study it till you are through with your academics first.
I don't know really what to say. You are right that studying Python will not really help directly in the academics but the fact it will help really help in shaping up the programming skills since Python is a dynamically typed language and introduces great concepts not to mention one could learn a lot in a short period of time.
I would still recommend Python to the OP. However if she/he doesn't wish to go further than academics, I guess you should go with Java since it's simpler than C++.

It is there in ICSE syllabus and a complete boon. In Class XI, I have learnt CSc. from the Class X book as all were same in the Class XI except for the language names, same syllabus and topics. But in XII it changed somewhat!! I have answered the whole paper this year in my XII boards(many concepts and answers like Constructors & Destructors, Function Overloading etc gathered from Class X book). Thinking of positive results!!

I don't think CBSE pays much attention in Computers till Class X. Very pitiful!!!
Hmm...I guess ICSE is really much better than CBSE in this regard. How I wish CBSE taught Python in IX/X and Java in XI/XII(rather than C++), but oh well. My time is over long ago, so I hardly care anyway. :razz:

Last edited:
I don't know really what to say. You are right that studying Python will not really help directly in the academics but the fact it will help really help in shaping up the programming skills since Python is a dynamically typed language and introduces great concepts not to mention one could learn a lot in a short period of time.
I would still recommend Python to the OP. However if she/he doesn't wish to go further than academics, I guess you should go with Java since it's simpler than C++.

Since he asked WHICH language to learn to HELP in his 2nd year, I guessed for him academics were a priority over fun learning.

Hmm...I guess ICSE is really much better than CBSE in this regard. How I wish CBSE taught Python in IX/X and Java in XI/XII(rather than C++), but oh well. My time is over long ago, so I hardly care anyway. :razz:

Are yaar, apne bache ke liye bhi toh socho na ? :p :lol:

layzee

■■■■■■
If you wanna use some of your knowledge for your college exams... take up C++ cause in most probability you'll have to study data structures in 2nd year. As it is, whatever is taught in colleges and training institutes is plain ****. So, if you really wanna learn a language get hold of some good books (paper books or e-books whichever you can get hold of) and get involved with them during the holidays.

I would have to admit that Java is a far better language and would always be my first choice. The idea of Python is not bad for the future. Ruby is also a decent platform and do not forget C# if you stick to C++. Its a good follow up choice for C++.

vaibhav.Kanwal

Self Confessed Geek
I've come in third year BCA and have done both C++ & Java. In my opinion, self study is your best bet.

Start with C++ and if your concepts of Structured programming(C) are clear you just have to do the OOP concepts in C++. If you study 2 hours daily then I think C++ will be over in 15 days time. Try out C++ by Venugopal or E.Balagurusuamy.

Then you can start with Java using Herbert Schildt Reference to Java and proceed with OOPs to revise your OOP concept the java way and start with AWT, Applets etc

In 2 months time, you'll be able to complete whole Java Core that way. Don't use notepad as its a real mess to code Java. Use a no fancy, no nonsense simple IDE like JCreator. Don't use Netbeans or Eclipse as they'll confuse you in the beginning. Jcreator is the best to get started.

Hope this helps

appserver

Third Eye
C++ Or Java

Which is better?

Before studying Java, the first page of the chapter 1 should have a detailed explanation of OOPS and the difference between C++ and Java else it is not a quality Java textbook.

To understand the OOPS concept in a better manner, please learn C++.

viditkothari

As already u got replies for Java, I'm no exception.
Its not that u wont understand Java without any prior OOP knowledge. In fact I think java is the language which teaches you OOP perfectly.

Am 17 now, and I think It was Java which helped me catchup with these:
C++
PHP
Javascript,
Python, etc.

My learning Java is fully credited to ICSE Xth.
I now know :
XHTML
CSS
Javascript
XML
ASP
PHP
Apache
SQL
VB
.net, etc

viditkothari

As already u got replies for Java, I'm no exception.
Its not that u wont understand Java without any prior OOP knowledge. In fact I think java is the language which teaches you OOP perfectly.

Am 17 now, and I think It was Java which helped me catchup with these:
C++
PHP
Javascript,
Python, etc.

My learning Java is fully credited to ICSE Xth.
I now know :
XHTML
CSS
Javascript
XML
ASP
PHP
Apache
SQL
VB
.net, etc

FOR LEARNING JAVA free way, go to Sun and download its specifications and tutorials,
or goto
1-*java.sun.com/new2java/
2-*java.sun.com/new2java/gettingstarted.jsp
3-*java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/
4-*java.sun.com/new2java/programming/learn/
5-*www.java.com/en/about/javabook.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom