Computer professionals plz help me decide my career...plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

techani

Journeyman
Hi all, I am a bit confused about my career. So did a bit of research to help myself take the correct decision. Found out a few things but it also created a lot of confusion and thats why this thread.
I am currently doing DOEACC `A` level after 10+2 and `O` level.
First I started searching about ERP. What I came to know is that ERP is implemented through SAP and Oracle.
SAP and Oracle is also DBMS.
But its better to do ERP after getting a job, because it will help in selecting the module based on the job profile of the candidate.
But what is the prospect of a fresh graduate if he did ERP?
There are also other streams like -
Networking - Cisco, Redhat, Microsoft certifications.
Web Technologies - Java, .NET, PHP, MySQL, Perl etc.
System Programming - Linux/Unix, C/C++, etc.
Database - SAP, Oracle IBM.
Please tell me -
Whether my understandings are right or not.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each of these sectors.
How much one can expect to earn as a fresher to the senior most level in each of these streams and what are the posts.
What one needs to know to become a DBA.
Under which of these sectors does the System Analyst comes and what one needs to know to be that.
What is the highest post in each of these sectors.
How to become a Security Analyst or a System Analyst.
I know that one person may not know all the answers to these questions but atleast tell me what you know and if you are sure of that.
Also tell me whether a graduation is absolutely must or not. I did my 10+2 in commerce
Or else let me know of a educational forum where I can post this question.
A lot depends on the answers to these questions.
Thank you all...

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Hi all, I am a bit confused about my career. So did a bit of research to help myself take the correct decision. Found out a few things but it also created a lot of confusion and thats why this thread.
After reading ur thread I also agre wid u dat u r confused.

I am currently doing DOEACC `A` level after 10+2 and `O` level.
Did u finish 10+2, or what? Please answer.
If finished. What was ur stream in 10+2?

First I started searching about ERP. What I came to know is that ERP is implemented through SAP and Oracle.
Correct
SAP and Oracle is also DBMS.
Oracle provides solutions for DBMS, that doesn't mean IT IS DBMS.
And SAP is also a provider for ERP packages/solutions.
Don't confuse ERP with DBMS. They are totally different.

To work in DBMS u need to have certain certifications. OCA, OCP etc. These gets u to be a DBA.
To work in ERP packages u need to have certification of S.A.P. SAPLabs provides such certification, cost 2 lac.

But its better to do ERP after getting a job, because it will help in selecting the module based on the job profile of the candidate.
If u get a job on ERP, u r supposed to know it. So, no meaning of doing certification later. It may happen that, the company which recruited u on general profile, decided that some of their should be S.A.P trained. In those cases also u'l ge certification depending upon company demand. There are lot (lot bole to lots of ) modules for ERP/S.A.P. So, don't expect u'll be trained in all modules in the certification.

But what is the prospect of a fresh graduate if he did ERP?
Current market has good demand of S.A.P trained professional. One of my friend is in SAPLabs. And he got bonus in this time, so u can guess SAP is not so much affected by slowdown.

There are also other streams like -
Networking - Cisco, Redhat, Microsoft certifications.
These lead u to Network Administrator/Network Security Posts/ Linux Admin
Few openings but stable.
Web Technologies - Java, .NET, PHP, MySQL, Perl etc.
Web Developer. Hot and very much common job profile. Too crowded portion of job market.
Lotsa oopenings but unstable. Excellent growth opportunity but fear of being sacked.
System Programming - Linux/Unix, C/C++, etc.
Developer for embeded system. Good career profile but very few prospect in India.
Stable, even may end up getting job in Govt. sectors.
Database - SAP, Oracle IBM.
Already told.
Please tell me -
Whether my understandings are right or not.
Quite good.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each of these sectors.
Advantage: U will get a job
Disadvantage: U won't

How much one can expect to earn as a fresher to the senior most level in each of these streams and what are the posts.
Pata nahi.
What one needs to know to become a DBA.
Oracle ko kha ja. OCA, OCP, OCM etc. certifications.
Under which of these sectors does the System Analyst comes and what one needs to know to be that.
This is a fancy name for a general post. U may end-up doing ANYTHING.

What is the highest post in each of these sectors.
CEO.

How to become a Security Analyst or a System Analyst.
Networking courses. CCNA, CCNP etc.
I know that one person may not know all the answers to these questions but atleast tell me what you know and if you are sure of that.
mujhe sab pata hai. ;-)
Also tell me whether a graduation is absolutely must or not. I did my 10+2 in commerce
YES. Very much needed. Graduation provides u a DEGREE. And, if u don't have a degree then stop dreaming working in someone else's company.
I just don't get why u people so lazy or in a hurry to get a job. First thing first. Go step by step. Get necessary education first. There is no short-cut way to success.
Or else let me know of a educational forum where I can post this question.
Pata nahi. How about your teachers or college/school seniors, father's frnds etc.

OP
T

techani

Journeyman
Did u finish 10+2, or what? Please answer.
If finished. What was ur stream in 10+2?

Yes I did 10+2 in commerce stream. Then DOEACC O level.

To work in ERP packages u need to have certification of S.A.P. SAPLabs provides such certification, cost 2 lac.

In Kolkata besides many institutions Seimens is providing a 20days course for Rs.3,10,000. Thats the only institute that provides a certificate. Genovate also provides a certificate but it doesnt have a centre in Kolkata. Others take a lot less money but dont provide certificate.

If u get a job on ERP, u r supposed to know it. So, no meaning of doing certification later. It may happen that, the company which recruited u on general profile, decided that some of their should be S.A.P trained. In those cases also u'l ge certification depending upon company demand. There are lot (lot bole to lots of ) modules for ERP/S.A.P. So, don't expect u'll be trained in all modules in the certification.

Sorry but I am not quite clear with this part of ur explanation.
What I would like to know is that if one does the ERP course from say Siemens for that huge sum of money then will he be taught all the modules in those 20 days? :shock: I dont think thats possible. So we have to choose a single module right? Then wont it be a gamble in choosing the right module?
Also whats the job guarantee in this course, plz tell me.

Current market has good demand of S.A.P trained professional. One of my friend is in SAPLabs. And he got bonus in this time, so u can guess SAP is not so much affected by slowdown.

Ok so I need to find out if SAPLab is present in Kolkata.

mujhe sab pata hai. ;-)

Thats really true! :cool:

YES. Very much needed. Graduation provides u a DEGREE. And, if u don't have a degree then stop dreaming working in someone else's company.
I just don't get why u people so lazy or in a hurry to get a job. First thing first. Go step by step. Get necessary education first. There is no short-cut way to success.

Ok got the point.

Now which is better a ERP course or the Oracle course for the DBA?
Which is a more rewarding job in terms of job satisfaction, work load and remuneration?

You have helped a lot. Your answers have solved most of my confusions.
Thank u so much! :)

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Every job sucks.
Every thing looks good until it becomes ur duty.

So, take ur pick.
None is satisfied, and u won't be either.

OP
T

techani

Journeyman
U missed this part of the post...

Sorry but I am not quite clear with this part of ur explanation.
What I would like to know is that if one does the ERP course from say Siemens for that huge sum of money then will he be taught all the modules in those 20 days? :shock: I dont think thats possible. So we have to choose a single module right? Then wont it be a gamble in choosing the right module?
Also whats the job guarantee in this course, plz tell me.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
U missed this part of the post...
And u this
If u get a job on ERP, u r supposed to know it. So, no meaning of doing certification later. It may happen that, the company which recruited u on general profile, decided that some of their employees should be S.A.P trained. In those cases also u'l ge certification depending upon company demand. There are lot (lot bole to lots of ) modules for ERP/S.A.P. So, don't expect u'll be trained in all modules in the certification.

If u know nothing about a subject how will u choose from it.
If u can take risk of putting so much money for S.A.P trg. better check out for the past record of that institute.
Placement, faculty etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom