Compress files to save disk space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
I have NTFS 80GB Hard disk drive. I saw an check box option 'Compress files to save disk space' in properties of Hard disk. I wonder if there is any link between system performance and making the check box on. Does it slow down system speed?

If there is no relation with system performance, why is it not made 'ON' by default. After all disk space is precious...right?

hemant_mathur

-- No Easter Eggs here --
It does has a relation to perfomance .. the system will be slower as it has to uncompress and then use the file

Tanmay

Journeyman
Yes there will be a heavy loss of performance.

For more info see this : *support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307987&sd=tech

anandk

Distinguished Member
true. thats y then u can choos to compress only the OLD files which u have not accessed in some time; and even specify the time say 90 days or 120 days... its there in the options (of compress old files)

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Thank you guys. I appreciate your responses. It's better not to go for that option just to gain few MB of Hard disk space.

For more info see this : *support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307987&sd=tech

Thank you Tanmay. The link was very useful.

Last edited:
OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Josan said:
is it can be used to increase the computer performance

No. It decreases system performance. It only saves some disk space.
Checkout the link given above.

DukeNukem

Come get Some
Hi there

to gain SPACE you must Winrar your backup (softies)

believe me bro it really rocks and i've converted 1.1 gb of my data to awesome 459 MB. use the latest for best result (choose compression method as best and Archive option as "create Solid archive" while creating rar)

but dont expect same with mp3, mpg kinda stuff which are allready compressed

spiderman

Broken In
hello don't believe these softwares and others . only try to do it once when the system manager asks to do it . don't do this regullarly. best way is use rar files they don't harm to systems performance

Pc-Noob

Right off the assembly line
DukeNukem said:
Hi there

to gain SPACE you must Winrar your backup (softies)

believe me bro it really rocks and i've converted 1.1 gb of my data to awesome 459 MB. use the latest for best result (choose compression method as best and Archive option as "create Solid archive" while creating rar)

but dont expect same with mp3, mpg kinda stuff which are allready compressed

That doesn't work me for:mad:

This is what i used to get 1327.351kb to 899.003kb (compresion method to fast)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom