Comparing 2.66 vs 3 Ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay4u

In the zone
I have 915 gav mobo with me. Now i want to purchase the processor. I have 2 choices with me.....

Intel 3 Ghz LGA 2 mb cache for 8000 Rs.

Intel 2.66 Ghz LGA for Rs. 5250 dont know cache size maybe 1 mb

Which one to opt for...? And can some oe link me to good intel GMA graphics chipset review on net. As i will invest in PCI express graphics card very soon

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
hey buddy , definitely go for 3 ghz one .. I mean pentium 4 3 ghz - 2 mb L 2 cache processor .. I have read that it can be easily overclocked upto 4.2 ghz .. with suitable cpu cooler :D

this is 630 model .. but I see that ur going for intel original mobo which doest have many options for overclocking .. :cry:

if possible then go for asus boards .. :D

mangemayur

Journeyman
ASUS is much more better than intel , and go for 3 GH 2 MB L2, while chosing the processor , if the clock speed does not differ much, the second thing to consider is the cache size

OP
jay4u

jay4u

In the zone
But then which mobo do un people sugest for me....... if i go for ASUS.. remember i want onboard graphics and sound as i wil buy a graphic ard later.... secondly i want support for sata 2 standard, 800 fsb, ddr 400/533mhz support and pcie slot..

mangemayur

Journeyman
i thought u told, u have the mobo, any way P5GDC-V Deluxe is the one i use, which has everything u want but not the Sata2, i think Sata 2 is with the higher mobo not the 915 based one

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
go for 3GHz with 2MB L2 cache.
@mayur if i m not mistaken the mobo u have suggested hav DDR2 as well as DDR ram.wats the use of dat as goin for a DDR2 ram it this point of time is juz useless and neither its betta then DDR.DDR2 533MHz is almost equal to DDR 400 but ya der is a quiet a price diff between DDR & DDR2.only DDR 667 is betta the 400MHZ DDR.if he will b going for a DDR2 ram after sum time then its ok else he shud go for P5GD1-VM mobo which is cheaper then dat of P5GDC.

G

gxsaurav

go for 3 GHz, Intel Pentium 4 630, byt if u r short on budget, then go for 2.66 GHz CPU & overclock it to 2.8 GHz

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
yea agree with prakash precott chips hav a major heating problem so betta go for gud cooling solutions.

mangemayur

Journeyman
Aniruddh, Do u know how DDR2 techonology work, DDR2 is anytime faster then DDR, as i had used both of them on my existing board, i agree that there is very little differnce between 400 and 533, so u should not spend more money unless u really want to do some overclocking and stuff.....

and y i suggested the V Delux card, because thats what he said, initiallly he is not ready to spend on PCI e card.

and about y 915, becaust that's the first line of his post, thats what even i raised "I have 915 ........"

inthat case u have to go for the prescott only... :).
its true that they have a heating problem but spending around 3-4K on heatsink will solve that, and u can then overclok it .... :)

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
@mayur pal i guess u dun hav much idea bout DDR2 ram as performance diff between DDR2 533 and DDR 400 isnt much infact almost de same.yea if v were talkin bout 667 then it wud hav totally diff scenario and eva i wud hav agreed wid u but its not possible as this mobo support 533 only.i m sure others will tell u more bout it and will clear this out.

mangemayur

Journeyman
Anuruddh i agrree, the difference i saw because, the DDR2 i am using has different timings (its crossair 512 X 2 timings 2-2-2-8 dual channel) :)

jamyang312

Journeyman
I hope if it is not too late,go for an amd processor 3000+ 939pin cpu.
It performs much better than the intel ones.

OP
jay4u

jay4u

In the zone
i agree that i have an intel 915 mobo... but i can give it to my brother who will stick only to intel original mobos... so now guys please sugest one good mobo under 10k with load of features and please members stop debating on ddr2 and ddr.. i am not planning to buy ddr till its performance is quite noticable....

G

gxsaurav

Intel 915GAV will be good enough & will cost a lot less then 10k, however u can forget about overclocking if u intend to do it

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
u can go for asus P5LD2 / P5LD2 DELUXE AS PER UR BUDGET ..

but these are based on 945 p chipset and uses ddr 2 ram .. also no onboard graphics .. but performs damn good also loaded with features .. :D

also have a look at msi P4 DIAMOND .. which is based on nvidia nforce 4 sli chipset and is damn good too :D .. also no onboard graphics here too ..

OP
jay4u

jay4u

In the zone
okie.... can some oen tell me what is the l2 cache and fsb for intel 2.66 Ghz which is for 915 gav and getting for 5000 bucks.. how far the performance will matter in competition with intel 3 Ghz 800 fsb 2 mb l2 cache

please i am going to sugest my friend to buy it since he is on shoe string budget.

Regarding the mobo... i am going to buy msi p4 diamond... and 6200 pcie card... will later upgrade to high end graphic card

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
hey jay , if u have budget then go for this new asus board .. model no. not known ..but it is based on nvidia nforce 4 16x sli .. according to anandtech.com .. this is a dream board for pentium 4 .. so do give it a thought .. performs better than msi p4 diamond .. but availibility in india not sure .. i think its model nos is P5LD2 16 SLI OR SOMETHING ..NOT SURE THOUGH

cheers ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom