Compaq Says No When I ask for Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajatroy

Right off the assembly line
Last December I purchased a Compaq Presario having a series called 1235IN .
My machine is supplied with the following configuration. Processor Pentium 4 2.8Ghz 256MB DDR RAM 40GB HDD 1.44FDD,COMBO DRIVE (company doesn’t mentioned its speed on the box) I use Windows XP as my OS with Service Pack 2 Installed this is one of the most important thing which I want to discuss with you is that my machine’s BIOS not having a boot on password option in it (this was not told to me while I was purchasing my machine even the vendors who are selling Compaq here and in region are unaware of this fact and Compaq doesn’t gives any documentation (Hard Copy or Soft Copy) about what is being supplied with the machine its warranty card doesn’t even tells about this also) and it has got a technical drawback i.e. it is having a Esc key which enables user to go a Boot Menu to select the boot sequence of the machine if anybody who knows a bit of hardware and software he can certainly misuse this feature to format the drives or erase all the information of HDD by using programs such as Disk Manager or Clearhdd if the bios password would have been provided then the customer will be benefited. When I called Compaq for this problem they told me that my PC is a Desktop Model segment PC which they called as the Home PC (other companies clearly mention in their products that what is a home pc and what is business pc but Compaq doesn’t mentioned in my case this was also agreed by technical staff of Compaq )and so I wont be able have a technical solution to this problem because it is impossible correct this problem as they told me but how can other companies are providing this feature with their machines if I had been told about this fact I would have never gone for Compaq rather I would have purchased IBM or Dell. Please tell me how can I resolve my problem as Compaq has told me they can’t do anything with this case. I think I had been cheated because I read all the manuals before I purchased the machine but those manuals doesn’t contain anything related to this fact. What should I do can I go for a legal suite or consumer forum .

If the vendor had advertised "Boot on password" as a feature, and, after buying the product you found that this so called 'feature' is missing or not working, then you could have got in touch with consumer affairs.

Silly as it may sound, the above is true. You just assumed that your machine will have this feature (as most/all other machines have it). It is left to the company to either refund or offer another model.

Most branded PC's have customised BIOS's. You're generally stuck with what you get.

Also, your Home PC / Business PC argument does not make any sense as there are no industry/business standards which define a Home PC should have X features and a Business PC should have Y features.

I think I had been cheated because I read all the manuals before I purchased the machine but those manuals doesn’t contain anything related to this fact

Did the manual say that your particular model has "Boot on password" option?

If NO, then you have a baseless argument.

sandeeprao

Broken In
rajatroy said:
(other companies clearly mention in their products that what is a home pc and what is business pc but Compaq doesn’t mentioned in my case this was also agreed by technical staff of Compaq ) .
u can say that since they are at fault for not mentioning the type of pc, they should either replace it or give u a refund or do something abt it that will make u happy.if this doesn't work just threaten them by saying that you'll take legal action against them.if this doesnt work u could try hiring some gangster who could help u

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
one of the most important thing which I want to discuss with you is that my machine’s BIOS not having a boot on password option in it

Wow I recall my Pentium 566 having a BIOS password ,

his was not told to me while I was purchasing my machine even the vendors who are selling Compaq here and in region are unaware of this fact and Compaq doesn’t gives any documentation

Was this asked when you purchased the system?

I wont be able have a technical solution to this problem because it is impossible correct this problem as they told me but how can other companies are providing this feature with their machines if I had been told about this fact I would have never gone for Compaq rather I would have purchased IBM or Dell

I dont know if this might be an option but you could check if it is possible to upgrade the BIOS, Ive never done it personally , so I have no clue of the process or how risky it is....

I think I had been cheated because I read all the manuals before I purchased the machine but those manuals doesn’t contain anything related to this fact. What should I do can I go for a legal suite or consumer forum .

If the fact wasnt contained in the manuals it is considered to not be available unless specifically mentioned otherwise.... So consumer court wont actually solve your problem either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom