COMPAQ rocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

justo

Broken In
the other day i went to the hp showroom to find a good configuration for myself ...... got awed by seeing a compaq selling for mere 14,000 ..... not a high end configuration ....... but you get a branded pc ......

the configs gr8 for general purpose ...... p4 - 2.26, intel original 845gv chipset, 40 gb hdd, 128 mb ddr ram, cd rom drive, 15 " monitor, etc.

the config rocks for 14,000!!!!!

swatkat

Technomancer
Waht about HDD Speed,Speakers,Keyboard and Mouse?But 128MB RAM is not enough for XP also CD Writer is must nowadays.So it's worth spending extra 2000 for RAM and Writer.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
i am guessing :-
hdd speed is 5400 rpm only , 128mb ram runs at 266mhz , monitor isnt flat , u got to pay extra for OS , they give only WinXP home edition .

friend went to showroom and asked details of the config , showed them his fist and returned . most at the showroom didnt know basic details of the configuration . there were no upgrade offers . no way of putting additional ram (they actually said u cannot upgrade and are stuck with 128mb ) . warranty / service was horrible .
plus taxes and stuff cost more .

@justo . get some of ur computer friends to build a proper working and future proof system . if ur sticking to branded make sure u have all details well furnished b4 hand and find out if they have a service center at ur city itself . ask them for a demo and run all the apps they got installed in it at the same time and check task manager for resources . that will make the guys in the showroom mad , but since its ur cash , better to check it out thoroughly

rohanbee

Padawan
Another thing that i would like to mention about these cheap branded Pc's is their OS. They will only have dos installed and they ask you to buy the original version for whatever os you want to install later on (which obviously is going to be very expensive from the oem version)

wise

Broken In
I too am a great fan of building by requirement (read assembled PC). Still there is one thing which ,if improved, will beat the stuffing out of any branded PCs.

The only problem with assembled computers in India is non availability of cabinets/SMPS/cooling fans of decent quality at reasonable price. This is an area where Branded PCs have an edge.

Recently I have recommended some of my friends to go for relatively cheap athlon based configs of Compaq. You get a very good looking cabinet/monitor etc with a price difference of only about Rs.2000 from an assembled machine of similar config.

So if the requirement of the user is not very demanding, there are good bargains available in the branded PCs, perticularly Compaq. As the configuration approches more and more towards high end, the price difference becomes larger between a branded PC and an assembled one.

rohanbee

Padawan
wise said:
The only problem with assembled computers in India is non availability of cabinets/SMPS/cooling fans of decent quality at reasonable price. This is an area where Branded PCs have an edge.

I dont neccesarily agree with the availability part of this line. Now days you can get anything in india, but like you said PRICE is not right/reasonable........
Antec is a very good company for the above things and there was an ad in digit as well ...................but yes extremely expensive.

wise

Broken In
You are right rohanbee. My Antec Sonata cost me a pretty penny(Rs. 9000 to be exact). What I mean is that the cabinets/smps/fans etc available in India are either 3rd class or the top notch like antec. But somehow the Branded PC manufacturers get hold of the middle of the road items, not normally available in the market.

rohanbee

Padawan
wise said:
You are right rohanbee. My Antec Sonata cost me a pretty penny(Rs. 9000 to be exact). What I mean is that the cabinets/smps/fans etc available in India are either 3rd class or the top notch like antec. But somehow the Branded PC manufacturers get hold of the middle of the road items, not normally available in the market.

yup you are totally right we don't get the middle of the road stuff over here. ALso because there are very few dealers selling the high end stuff their rates are very jacked up.......... :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom