ComboDrive Tray problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman
I have a DVD comboDrive, Samsung. The Tray eject button on the Drive does not work, The tray doesnt eject.
How ever when I right-click in explorer and press eject on the drive, it ejects with some sloppiness; and I have to give a push for the tray to go back inside --> can I fix this at home? or do I need to go to a rude hardware vendor????

I think my actual problem is in the switch (eject).
Because, there is small LED next to it which is supposed to light up when I press it, which does not. When I do it in OS, (winXP pro sp2), eject from the right-click menu over the drive, that LED lights up.. So i deduced that the problem must beinherent in the switch/button.

Calcatian

Journeyman
:evil: U need 2 go 2 their Service center - carry a small audio recorder with u hidden in ur pocket - they will replace a band or something like that and laught @ it saying this is something all of their customers have 2 go through - record that conversation - sue them - earn Rs. 1,000,00 in damage - buy LiteOn or BenQ DVD writer ....
<If only I had the time...>
My combo has the same nakhra & even after service it reappeared + it doesn't write (works only as a reader) just coz I tried 2 burn a 90min/800MB disk which the box says it supports + It is not detected in 98 + it makes my system hand every now and then + the guy @ their Service center dropped it from hand & it has some deep dents and crack marks + my warranty isn't over yet but man :!: I'm so p!55ed off...
and oh, 1 of their technicians evn suggstd "u shud hav bought it after doing some investigation"...

So I did a bit of investigation and found that SS & Toshiba optical drives ek hi maa ki aulad hai.... so stay away from Toshiba 2..

<And it all started bcause of Digit's free DVD policy... now i 2 wanna vote against Digit in that Digit SUX poll.. >

Got the picture :?:

U r luckier than me man :!:

Like, "Lucky :!: have time 4 a laugh ... :?: "

GameAddict

In the zone
Search for rubber band trick

This problem with Samsung Drives was discussed...search the forum for the rubber band trick to solve this problem for some time.

OP

Journeyman
GameAddict,
I always search the forum before my posts - I am sorry, but I didn't think mine would be fixed with a rubber-band , cos my combo eject button has a little green LED - when I press "eject" but, the led doesnt even light --> but when I press eject by right clicking the drive --> the LED lights and the tray comes out with a sloppy jerk.. If the band was faulty or something , wouldn't come out right..

Charley

Just Do It
Just before opening this post,I checked on the texts mentioned in the topic and it just came to my mind that u own a Samsung drive. Dude I have to ask u, didnt u get any drive to choose other than the worst rated SAMSUNG.

Calcatian

Journeyman
:wink: it that post was 4 me, then here is the story...
remember, digit started a scheme with SS when they launched DVD :?:
I thought if Digit is promoting it, how bad it can be :?:
<And it all started bcause of Digit's free DVD policy... now i 2 wanna vote against Digit in that Digit SUX poll.. >

So I posted an order by filling up the included form.... waited 4 2 eons..... got frustrated and cancellled the cheque... bought it myself..

And, I missed a point up there... while "servicing", they somehow flashed the firmware 2 an really older version of a completely different older model.. now when I DLed the proper rom, it is refusing 2 be applied saying its a diff. model...
And the "wont write but hang your compu" nakhra started b4 it was slammed 2 floor. So b prepared 144 :!:

OP

Journeyman
achacko@dataone.in ,
Although I have a samsung drive it is not my choice, I bought this second hand PC from a friend and it came with 2 Drives. A Samsung Combo and an ASUS DVD RW.
Although I did not like ASUS nor Samsung drives - I didn't have much of a choice.

GameAddict

In the zone
144 said:
GameAddict,
I always search the forum before my posts - I am sorry, but I didn't think mine would be fixed with a rubber-band , cos my combo eject button has a little green LED - when I press "eject" but, the led doesnt even light --> but when I press eject by right clicking the drive --> the LED lights and the tray comes out with a sloppy jerk.. If the band was faulty or something , wouldn't come out right..

You may edit your post to include the above details, so that people can offer help accordingly. And it does not harm to mention at the start itself that one has searched the forums already, so that another guy need not search it again or suggest you do it.

OP

Journeyman
GameAddict,
Try reading 1st post in this thread - I have mentioned that threre is a problem in my eject button. And sorry - Just becos you have a few posts extra than me doesn't give you the right to harass me here. I dont think anyone will mention that they had searched the forum.

GameAddict

In the zone
144 said:
GameAddict,
Try reading 1st post in this thread - I have mentioned that threre is a problem in my eject button. And sorry - Just becos you have a few posts extra than me doesn't give you the right to harass me here. I dont think anyone will mention that they had searched the forum.

I don't harass somebody , I don't know. The only point is that, one should mention the problem in detail, so that no further explanation is required.

Of course, you mentioned that you have problem with your eject button and then after some posts more details were given. And I only said to include those details in the first post.

And secondly, please don't come down to petty things like post counts.Regulars to this forum know that post counts is *not* an indicator for any sort of superiority.I hope you get what I meant. If anyway, my posts/attitude is offensive to you, please forgive it. By no means, I meant that.Let's get to your problem with the drive or our posts are going to get deleted for flaming. :p

BTW, we you are still interested in arguing, use PM. :twisted:

GA

OP

Journeyman
Okay Peace - and apologies.

So what about the switch problem? can I fix it at home or do I have take the trouble of visiting a hardware vendor?

GameAddict

In the zone
Two suggestions

Hi,

After some searching, I concluded that the problem is with the power supply going to the button.

Second solution, is to get a small tray app. which will open/close the drive for you. Not an ideal one, but still easier then opening Explorer, right clicking the drive and selecting Eject.

Let's us know what your vendor suggests you.

BTW, I got another reason to avoid Samsung drives for my new PC.;)

GA

Charley

Just Do It
Re: Two suggestions

GameAddict said:
Hi,

After some searching, I concluded that the problem is with the power supply going to the button.

Second solution, is to get a small tray app. which will open/close the drive for you. Not an ideal one, but still easier then opening Explorer, right clicking the drive and selecting Eject.

Let's us know what your vendor suggests you.

BTW, I got another reason to avoid Samsung drives for my new PC.;)

GA

Dont the SAMSUNG jerks recv any complaints or grievances from customers, they havent been improving till date.. I'm never to going to buy any of those stuffs again from Samsung.

:evil: :x :shock:

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
Pioneer is good.

It also comes without any tray,....

So,.... you cant have a prob with the tray..not coming out. :wink:

Sourabh

Laptoping
thts a slot in drive

insert the cd and voila..

*img273.echo.cx/img273/7008/images8ie.jpg

seen with the MACS more often or not