clueless after Ubuntu Installation

buddyram

New Voyage
I recently installed the Ubuntu OS through the November 2010 DVD. The files took much time to get downloaded which was roughly around 500 MB.

After that I am clueless how to run setup the OS.

Could anyone suggest me the procedures in setting up the Ubuntu as i am a novice in Linux

Last edited:

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
You installed Ubuntu using Wubi? If you have done that, you should get an option to boot into Ubuntu when your computer starts?

utkarsh009

In the zone
set up a dual boot rather than setting it up with wubi. i am sure you will get a better experience. if you wanna test it then run a live session or you may always use a virtual machine.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
ubuntu installed using wubi results in a slower disk speed as the ubuntu partition is nested within the NTFS. also hibernation is not supprted(i might b wrong). my first LINUX install was an UBUNTU through WUBI and i lost it after a force power off(this is another disadvantage).

OP
buddyram

buddyram

New Voyage
You installed Ubuntu using Wubi? If you have done that, you should get an option to boot into Ubuntu when your computer starts?

No I installed it with the Nov 2010 Digit DVD and later it just took of to NET by self & started loading few files.

Now, whats d next step? how to get into the Ubuntu OS

doomgiver

Warframe

wow, ico heard someone installed ubuntu with wubi. lol, poor op is dead.

read the user guides. and first talk to more experinced ppl, if you are doing something new. and always rtfm

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

op, have you seen the site ico pointed to?

1. reboot.
2. there should be an option to boot either ubuntu or windows
3. choose ubuntu( duh)
4. logon
5. fire up firefox and tell us about it
6. ???
7. profit

doomgiver

Warframe
he can try and do "fixmbr" or "chkdsk /f" from the command prompt in windows (works with xp, but dunno abt vista/7)

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

never got the hang of bcd, i tend to use hiren's bootcd

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
*help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

@OP

I didn't even get you what you've done or what you want to do.

danny0085

Right off the assembly line
If you are fed up with windows virus you can install ubuntu and add software like office 2007, nero, ares, adobe reader, fireworks and so on. Even you can install a Windows 7 theme.

Top Bottom