clarify me on my out and out PEN-TESTING rig!!!

gopinath34

Right off the assembly line
after 2 months of fine research here's my config(initial set-up),
Intel i5 4670k,Asus z87 pro mobo
Corsair vengeance 4gb1600 ram
Toshiba 1 tb hard disk
Antec hcg 620 non modular psu
Cooler master storm scout 2 cabinet
Benq gl2460hm moniter.

SO THE ABOVE CPU&MOBO COMBO LINUX PROOF(might sound funny but that's my prime need and being my first rig )??? because I'll be having Linux os and all Linux application only and a Windows too but Linux is always prime.
With budget constraint I couldn't have ssd,another 4gb ram and gpu but in sometime I'll oc the cpu to 4.2 which I think is safe, will add a decent gpu around 12k only one no sli or crossfire as I don't need for pentest, oc'ing definitely needs a decent cooling measure so add a corsair h80i, an optical drive may be bluray and finally few case fans not above 4 SO IS THE PSU CAPABLE OF THE LATER ON UPGRADES??

OR DO I HAVE TO RETHINK ON ANY COMPONENTS?? since spending my long-time savings and hard earned money!!!

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Nope but you could have saved a lot of money on cabinet and other components like PSU..
But having that psu clears a good upgrade path..

OP
G

gopinath34

Right off the assembly line
Hope this would be sufficient bro!

1.What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: I need it only to practice penetration testing and it's always my mainstay, some video editing, music,internet,and some heavy games.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:60k would be my overall budget,excluding the gpu.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Yes indeed.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: both Linux and Windows. since pen-testing, I need to have both.Kali Linux, kubuntu or mint in Linux and Windows 8.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:1tb

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:24,1920*1080

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:none.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: in a month time from now.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: most probably by an assembler.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Chennai, I've been shopping online from the past, but don't want to ,for this dream project.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: it is quite good if it's future proof( I know one cannot be future proof always, but to some extent one can)

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
get this if you wanna upgrade gpu later.
i5 4570k - 15.8k
asus gryphon - 14k
Corsair vengeance 4gb x 2 1600 ram - 5.6k
wd blue 1tb - 3.8k
asus odd - 1k
seasonic s12ii 520 - 4.7k/antec vp550p - 3.5k corsair gs600 - 4.5k
coolermaster haf912 - 5.2k
AOC i2369vm -12k/dell s2240l - 8.6k
logitech mk200 - 0.7k
logitech z313 - 2k
get a good cooler too.
how much will you be able to spend for the gpu later?? which heavy games are you going to play?? see, we need specific answers and it is already mentioned in the 1st question of the questionnaire. read carefully.

I dont know how resource (cpu) intensive is the pen-testing. if it is highly multithreaded you can get fx 8350 -12k and asus m5a990fx pro - 12k which will help in video editing too than i5. overclocking is also possible. make sure you get a good cooler.

Top Bottom