Changing motherboard without reinstalling windows ?

quicky008

Technomancer
I'm thinking of changing the motherboard of one of my older pcs and i don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling windows in it all over again.Its currently running windows 10-will changing the motherboard necessitate reinstalling windows or can i continue using it without any issues?Cpu,ram,gpu etc will stay the same.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
You might want to take a few precautions if your Windows 10 is genuine. Ex, take a back-up of your license.

Otherwise everything will be just fine after a couple of initial driver installation quirks.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I have an ext hard drive with original Windows installed in the form of Windows to Go. I can boot it in different systems without any problems to licence. Is it a better way to install windows ? [MENTION=26711]ico[/MENTION]

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^Windows to Go is supposed to be used only by enterprise users with valid license(not the serial/key but actual license consisting of terms & conditions) to run windows to go.Also every time windows to go is used on a new device it is supposed to be activated via MAK key or KMS so I don't see how you are able to use it on different devices with no issue(maybe because you haven't used it for long periods,say 1-2 weeks,for activation issues to come up).

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have an ext hard drive with original Windows installed in the form of Windows to Go. I can boot it in different systems without any problems to licence. Is it a better way to install windows ? [MENTION=26711]ico[/MENTION]

This is the only thing I'm aware of. How to re-activate Windows 10 after a hardware change | Windows Centra

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
You might want to take a few precautions if your Windows 10 is genuine. Ex, take a back-up of your license.

Otherwise everything will be just fine after a couple of initial driver installation quirks.
thanks,i'll give it a try and report back if anything goes amiss.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Taking a backup of license is redundant now for win 10 consumer editions(taking backup is only meaningful in case of MAK key activation) as MS servers store activation info based on hardware ID of a system.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
after changing the motherboard windows automatically detected it and reconfigured itself to work with the new hardware-i haven't had any issues with it so far.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only difference between OEM version & Retail version is in terms of license,no technical difference.OEM key can not be transferred to new hardware & comes with no free MS support.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Only difference between OEM version & Retail version is in terms of license,no technical difference.OEM key can not be transferred to new hardware & comes with no free MS support.
Well if you link your key to your digital account I don't see why you can't transfer it
Even if it's OEM

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Well if you link your key to your digital account I don't see why you can't transfer it
Even if it's OEM

AFAIK OEM are bound to Motherboard model by the Manufacturers.

Well I have a Laptop with OEM version of Windows 10 Home Edition.

and the Manufacture has provided me with Windows 10 Recovery Disc which contains both Pro & Home Editions.

As, I paid for only Home Edition only so it came preinstalled with it.

Once I tried to install the Pro Edition from the Disc...but later found that activation was required for Pro.
So, I switched back to Home Edition and no key input required for activation (as it was activated automatically on connecting to web).

pirated version :p

then why bother about transferring..u won't loose license

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even if it's OEM

Because linking to digital account is meant for retail keys & most probably this procedure will fail for OEM keys as retail keys & OEM keys are different(aka in terms of sequencing,characters etc). Earlier when linking to digital account was not there even a retail customer had to call MS support to transfer license to new hardware which involved explaining circumstances,reading original cd serial etc.To simplify this procedure for retail customers,the procedure of linking keys to MS account was established.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Because linking to digital account is meant for retail keys & most probably this procedure will fail for OEM keys as retail keys & OEM keys are different(aka in terms of sequencing,characters etc). Earlier when linking to digital account was not there even a retail customer had to call MS support to transfer license to new hardware which involved explaining circumstances,reading original cd serial etc.To simplify this procedure for retail customers,the procedure of linking keys to MS account was established.
This is weird

The laptop at my home came with win 8 and was upgraded to win 10 in the free upgrade period
Now this windows should be OEM right as it came with the laptop?
But it isn't
It shows as retail version
Also it's linked to a digital account

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
This is weird

The laptop at my home came with win 8 and was upgraded to win 10 in the free upgrade period
Now this windows should be OEM right as it came with the laptop?
But it isn't
It shows as retail version
Also it's linked to a digital account

No that's not an OEM version and its not necessary that preinstalled Windows OS will of OEM type.

OEM versions are modified by the manufacturers.
e.g: an HP OEM windows OS will have HP logo in the windows version details.

I remember I had HCL windows XP OEM CD long back and it had some background music running during windows XP install wizard.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
then why bother about transferring..u won't loose license

Transfer what exactly?I don't remember mentioning anything about transferring.I was only afraid that windows might crash or stop working,thereby forcing me to reinstall it from scratch if i changed the motherboard of my pc(like it happened with older iterations of windows such as XP)-fortunately this didn't turn out to be the case as windows seamlessly detected the new hardware and started working without a hitch.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
No that's not an OEM version and its not necessary that preinstalled Windows OS will of OEM type.

OEM versions are modified by the manufacturers.
e.g: an HP OEM windows OS will have HP logo in the windows version details.

I remember I had HCL windows XP OEM CD long back and it had some background music running during windows XP install wizard.

Well this windows was preinstalled with the Dell laptop so .....

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
[MENTION=34930]Zangetsu[/MENTION], Don't get confused,any windows edition not sold directly by MS is OEM(all laptops pre-installed windows are OEM). It is the choice of the PC manufacturer how to customize the windows(e.g.HP,Dell putting their own logos). Those old XP OEM install CDs were more like automated system image restore CDs.

[MENTION=163350]ZTR[/MENTION], How to Transfer your Windows 10 License to a New Compute
with the release of Windows 10 November Update, 1511, Microsoft made modifications to the channel license. Previously, you could identify the channel from which, the license was derived by issuing a particular Windows command. The November Update, now describes all licenses upgraded, whether full package or OEM as retail. Even though your free upgrade to Windows 10 from an OEM Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 is now identified as retail, in spirit, it is still an OEM license.
Also in case of laptops,OEM license is as good as Retail because if your laptop motherboard gets replaced under warranty & it came with win 10 pre-installed then after replacing motherboard the laptop manufacturer still has to provide you win 10.So manufacturer will ask MS to re-activate win 10 on a new hardware with new motherboard as only serial no. of mobo will be different(one can't upgrade laptop motherboard,only repair or replace it with new unit). Of course this only holds true within warranty of laptop.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
when i boot up my new computer for 1st time, installed 1 old hdd and 1 new hdd.
It was not booting up with old hdd, which has windows 10 in it.

If the motherboard is same as old model, no need to worry. Otherwise it won't boot up.

Top Bottom