changing boot options in linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

confused!!

It's true Im not confused
Recently I installed Open SUSE 11.1 that was shipped in this month's Digit DVD. I am a total Linux noob but I was able to install it very easily. Now my problem is that Linux is the default choice in the boot options. I want to make Windows my deafault OS to boot . how to do it???:confused::confused:

Ecstasy

a.k.a VipER
Even I'm a newbie when it comes to linux but i think you need grub installed.

Any of the linux boys can clear this one please? :D

Rahim

Married!
Hum hain na :D
Graphical way:
Open Yast and navigate to System > Boot Loader and select Windows and Set it as "Set as Default". Click OK and thats done!

*www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub.html

talktorishav

techspalace
very nice answer,
If you want to learn more, as pointed out but a member *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108879

OP
confused!!

confused!!

Ok got your point a_rahim..But now I am in a bigger problem. I opened YAST..it asked for my password..and ALAS ..it is not accepting my password. Now what wrong have I done here. How in the world it is not accepting my password..Has somebody changed it ..have I forgotten it..am I too confused!! between my passwords..I cannot believe I forgot my password when I have installed it 6 days back..Ok so LINUX is very secure..What do I do now..How to retrieve/reset my password..Do I need to reinstall ..I am too confused!! :cry::cry:Somebody help me:confused::confused:

Rahim

Married!
Enter your "root" password and NOT YOUR password when prompted.
You are logged in as normal user while "root" is like Admin a/c in Linux and root password is required to change system settings in Linux. I am sure you have created a root password while installing openSUSE 11.1 and then created a new normal a/c for you later. There is nothing to panic. Linux is different and it works differently.

OP
confused!!

confused!!

Hmm..but I think I forgot my root password..Now tel me the procedure how to uninstall and reinstall Linux..

Rahim

Married!
Wait a minute...you can reset your root password without uninstalling the OS. Ket me search.

OK here it is [URL="*www.susegeek.com/general/how-to-resetrecover-the-root-password-in-opensuse/"]How to reset/recover the ROOT password in openSUSE[/url]

Ecstasy

a.k.a VipER
I haven't forgotten my password but just for information sake I wanted to ask, does this work on F10 also?

OP
confused!!

confused!!

Wait a minute...you can reset your root password without uninstalling the OS. Ket me search.

OK here it is How to reset/recover the ROOT password in openSUSE

I don't know why but this one does not seem to work:cry::cry: Meanwhile I am trying all the possible passwords I could have set

Rahim

Married!
^Why whats wrong?
1. Reboot the system
2. When you see the Grub menu, highlight your Fedora installation with the arrow keys and press ‘e’ to edit.
3. Again use the arrow keys to highlight the line saying ‘kernel’ at the beginning and press ‘e’ again, which will let you edit that line.
4. Append a space at the end of the line and type ’single’ without the quotes there. Press the Enter key.
5. Now press ‘b’ which will take you to the Linux single user mode where you’ll have privileged access without typing a password.
6. Now you do a passwd, and change your root password. Then reboot. You are done.

red_devil

Back!
@confused!! ... just for the sake of my knowledge ... why would you keep complicated passwords for your linux machine ?? if you are the only user, then its alright to keep something as simple as the distro name itself [i do that :p]

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
^
Ya it will then take out the fun out of forgetting your password, sweating that it is lost and then whooping in delight as you find the solution and it works...
:D:D:D

OP
confused!!

confused!!

Hey A_rahim..the code that you provided...I had typed those but now I am not able to mount my windows drive..what may be the problem..I googled but every result was too complex for me..Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom